What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I?ve switch to the Bunny

togaflyer

Well Known Member
So after many years of using Duracell batteries, I’m done with Duracell and have switched to Eveready batteries. Over this last year, those Duracell’s have failed and leaked in three of my flashlights, leaving a corrosion mess. It was hard to pass up those big packs of double A’s at Costco, but so far I have had good results with the Eveready’s. Just a PIREP, check those batteries occasionally that are in your devices.

Last edited:
Me Too!

So after many years of using Duracell batteries, I?m done with Duracell and have switched to Eveready batteries. Over this last year, those Duracell?s have failed and leaked in three of my flashlights, leaving a corrosion mess. It was hard to pass up those big packs of double A?s at Costco, but so far I have had good results with the Eveready?s. Just a PIREP, check those batteries occasionally that are in your devices.

I've had similar experience with Duracell. They were my "go-to" battery but recently I've had several fail & leak also.

Same here - even leaked in the package!

They have destroyed several devices I have owned!

Ron

Yep, Duracell?s, or Costco brand are reliable leakers over time. Only put them in things you don?t want to keep. Energizers for me, no leak.

I've started taking the batteries out of everything until I'm ready to use it. I even take them out of the headsets.

ditto - duracell suck!

yep, if you want to ruin something, put in Durahells!

how they stay in business is a testament to mass advertising showing firemen saving people with their flashlites!?!

Energizer will replace the device if their batteries leak. I think we should all write in to Durahell and demand the same! ...and let Costco know they need to switch!

https://www.energizer.ca/about-batteries/no-leaks-guarantee

Same Here

I?ve made the switch about a year ago for the same reasons...

a watery mixture of baking soda and a cotton swab can clean up most battery leaking issues and save the device if it has not been ignored for a long time.

Have to agree Duracell have become very bad in the past few years. Thinking they?ve changed something in manufacturing as they used to be the best.

Some ELT?s say only approved with specific Duracell?s? What to do?

Before could take the old batteries out of the ELT that I would replace every year regardless of use and use them in flashlights. No longer can, when I put them in a flashlight to use they're dead after six months of sitting. Doesn?t instill confidence that the ELT will work when you need it.

I use lithium AA or AAA batteries in all of my devices that were expensive to buy. They do not have a failure mode that involves leaking. They are more expensive but are supposed to last longer. Cant really say they do but I was tired of ruining expensive electronics due to battery leakage. It does not matter how well you clean the contacts after a leak, the connection is never the same again.

If I remember reading somewhere correctly, Duracell is made in China now and the Energizer is still made in the USA.

duracel offers the same guarantee.
https://www.duracell.com/en-us/technology/battery-care-use-and-disposal/

I've switched to using rechargable Eneloops and Amazon knock offs in most everything these days.

yep, if you want to ruin something, put in Durahells!

how they stay in business is a testament to mass advertising showing firemen saving people with their flashlites!?!

Energizer will replace the device if their batteries leak. I think we should all write in to Durahell and demand the same! ...and let Costco know they need to switch!

https://www.energizer.ca/about-batteries/no-leaks-guarantee

a watery mixture of baking soda and a cotton swab can clean up most battery leaking issues and save the device if it has not been ignored for a long time.

Baking soda works fine for cleaning up the mess of standard batteries. Because their electrolyte is acidic. However as the name implies alkaline batteries have a basic solution not acid. I've repaired numerous electronic devices over the years that had leaking alkaline batteries in them. Buy yourself a pint or quart as-needed of white apple vinegar. The solution is weak enough that you can simply remove the batteries and dunk the entire device in the acid and let it soak for half an hour or so. Pull a device out and rinse it off. Let it dry in the Sun and you should be good to go. If the device is encased in plastic best to remove the case before you do this.

Charlie

+1 for Lithium

As mentioned above, consider lithium primary batteries for:
- any expensive equipment
- anything that gets infrequent battery changes (flashlights, garage keypad, etc). Lithium batts have a 10+ year shelf life.
- anything that gets cold (lithiums tolerate cold better than alkalines)

Between lithiums and low-discharge rechargables (e.g. Eneloop), I rarely use alkalines anymore.

As mentioned above, consider lithium primary batteries for:
- any expensive equipment
- anything that gets infrequent battery changes (flashlights, garage keypad, etc). Lithium batts have a 10+ year shelf life.
- anything that gets cold (lithiums tolerate cold better than alkalines)

Between lithiums and low-discharge rechargables (e.g. Eneloop), I rarely use alkalines anymore.

I have lithium Everready batteries, but my Bose headsets say alkaline batteries, only. Not sure if that is to satisfy some FAA mandate about lithium batteries in airplanes or what, but I have been hesitant to use them. :confused:

Back