What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying over clouds

My personal IFR minimums in a single engine airplane are 1000' ceiling; departure, destination and enroute. So yes, I will fly above the clouds if there is at least a 1000' ceiling below.

Flying over clouds, no problem. Flying that close to the tops, problem!

Perhaps the rules and regs are different in Russia but here in the U S of A, I would be concerned about even posting such a video on the internet, let alone actually flying along those cloud tops that closely. Perhaps the regs would never bite me, perhaps posting a video would never bite me, but just be in the wrong place at the wrong time when another plane busts through that layer and finds me there, well, ouch! I know, I know, a lot of links in the chain would have to break first. Still. . . not interested in tempting fate.

Good video!

Very nice video. I've always wondered what the clouds look like in Russia. They appear to be just like the ones here in the US! :)

My personal IFR minimums in a single engine airplane are 1000' ceiling; departure, destination and enroute. So yes, I will fly above the clouds if there is at least a 1000' ceiling below.

Yes, safety is ahead of enjoy! The lower edge of clouds was about 3100'

Perhaps the rules and regs are different in Russia but here in the U S of A, I would be concerned about even posting such a video on the internet, let alone actually flying along those cloud tops that closely. Perhaps the regs would never bite me, perhaps posting a video would never bite me, but just be in the wrong place at the wrong time when another plane busts through that layer and finds me there, well, ouch! I know, I know, a lot of links in the chain would have to break first. Still. . . not interested in tempting fate.

"Do not do it" speaking by words of TV shows ;)
I'm not so mad to fly through clouds tops catching icing :mad: The actual altitude of flight was about 6000'

https://picasaweb.google.com/103553491525204477189/IFlyRV9A#5813292977859899986

IMAGE_72AB7099-AD9C-4F1D-A0E0-0692C5094754.JPG

That was the final phase of flight approaching to home airfield before diving into clouds for landing.

Last edited:
And the rules for just about everything are different in Russia.... ;)

Very pretty Alex!

Just ask for an IFR block clearance. No more dangerous than flying in the clouds.

Back