What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aero Composites

Wicked Stick

Well Known Member
I'm looking for some data points on Aero Composite props.

Please chime in if you are currently flying or have flown your RV with an Aero Composites prop. I suspect there are not a lot of you out there given the price of one, but hoping for a few responses.

1. How many hours do you have on it so far ?
  2. How do you like it ?
  3. Have you had any issues with it.

1. I currently have 100 hours on my ACI-2200
  2. I really enjoy the light weight and smoothness of it.
  3. I recently noticed a paint crack on the blade about 1 inch inboard of the nickel leading edge strip. (see pic below).

I spoke with the manufacturer and also sent him the photo and they are telling me this is common for the paint to crack in that area due to flexing of the propeller. I'm still going to take it to them for inspection, but was curious if anyone else has run into this with theirs.
paint_cracking_6_13_12.jpg

Last edited:
Similar issues

My good friend, Robbie Attaway, had an AC prop on his fast RV6. He experienced cracks in the first few hours. Had it repaired and had it happen again. He abandon the prop.

Another local RVer had a WW 200 RV prop that had not been installed. Robbie put this prop on and noticed his plane was faster and smoother. He purchased one and never looked back. He sold the plane later.

Robbie is out of the Country so I don't have contact to get the specific hours on the AC prop. I do remember it was less than 25 hours when the problems started.

Good luck and be careful!!!

Common ... on our Flying Club Plane

Hello

This is a very common crack in the top-paint. The aerobatic plane form the Flying Club shows signs like this after a few 100 hours of every new prop. About every two years we get a new prop due to reached TBO.
It is a certified Hoffman C/S, wood core with fiberglass layup.

Regards,

Dominik

Last edited:
ACI-3300

I flew an ACI-3300 on a Wheeler Express for 250+ hours. The Wheeler has retired to aviation academia & the ACI-3300 rehubbed for the RV-10. With the Wheeler I noticed that climb performance improved dramatically. Cruise speed did not seem to be affected. And, vibration? Dynamic balancing is possible, but ACI & other prop expects believe it unnecessary.

I expect to mount it shortly, replacing the two blade Hartzell. So comparison will be possible.

The prop paint (American Prop in Redding) was not an issue on the Wheeler. My main issue with the three blade ACI is cowling removal / replacement. Very cramped on the RV-10, I suspect. Thoughtful & constructive suggestions for reducing cowling wear & tear on a three-bladed prop are welcomed!

Frankly, the cost of the ACI was so high, I was compelled to make it work on the RV-10.

I will give an update after it's been on the King's RV for 20 or so hours.

ACI-3300 Update

The AeroComposite (3300) has been on N1XS > 20 hours.
ACI-3300 replaced Van's Std 2-blade CS Hartzell early Jan 13;
Returned to Phase 1: 5 hrs as req'd by Op Limits.

Dynamically Balanced Prop > 10 hours ago (.57 => .04 IPS)
? Significant reduction in vibration,
? Easier starts (cold or hot) - 1 to 2 turns, &
? Reduced oil consumption.
.. (OH'd eng has 70 hrs; may be the result of rings seating?)

Speed Tests - 4 cardinal points - in knots. Used gps-pec.XLS (Four Legs) [AFS-5600; GTN-650]
? Run 1: Van's Hartzell....= GPS:169 / TAS:169 (one test)
? Run 2 [5] & 3 [5]: = avg. GPS:170.8 / TAS:171 (10 tests: Phase I; 5 Hr)
..ACI-3300 (rehub'd by Whirlwind); StDev between .82 & 1.85 for four legs
? Run 4: Dyn Bal........... = GPS:172.1 / TAS 172.5 (one test)

Answers:
1. Total hours ~ 275; 20 since rehub.
2. Opinion (Thoughts).
. ? Great looking (Prop & Airframe paint match!)
. ? Climb appears faster, but no empirical evidence to report.
3. Issues. None.

Other empiricals:
? Weighs 50# (ACI website) vs Hartzell = 52# (Hartzell product support).
? All speed readings taken @
..?? 4500' [Run 1 & Runs 2] &
..?? 5500' [Runs 3 & Run 4];
? Other variables: MAP: ~ 24; RPM: ~2450.
..?? Run 1: ~09?C;
..?? Run 2: ~01?C
..?? Run 3: ~00?C
..?? Run 4: ~12?C

I have a AC - 2200 with 103 hrs on her and in service 10 months. Yesterday (Saturday) I was getting the prop balanced. With the spinner pulled I notice paint cracking on the surface near the hub (within 1") on one blade after close examination it is actually a layer of glass delaminating.

I have sent the company an email as well as left a voice message. I am standing by waiting for a reply. We did complete the prop balance, since the provider did come out to the airport and set-up. I felt obligated to pay his fee and if I was paying the fee might as well do the work.

https://plus.google.com/photos/107987948037104850707/albums/5903093160868737585

ACI2200crack_zpse30ff3eb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ACI2200crack2_zps269b63ff.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ACI2200crack3_zps4f351c31.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ACI2200crack4_zps05607f3a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
First off, I know absolutely nothing about your brand of prop.

But-----If I saw this on my prop, the plane would be grounded until I was satisfied that there was nothing going on that was a compromise of the structural integrity of the unit.

From this one photo, it would appear to me that there is something flexing under the collar.

Have you been using the prop as a handle to push/pull on when moving the plane around ??

ACI+2200+crack+4.JPG

ACI Status

The last I spoke with ACI was early last year. They sold their IP to MacCauley (they were using MacCauley hubs) and are consulting to them.

I sent the prop to Whirlwind (http://www.whirlwindaviation.com/index.asp) for re-hubbing and found Bill Koleno to be knowledgeable, helpful & supportive. They have a "booth" by the warbirds @ Oshkosh & are likely getting ready to depart.

The re-hub used a standard MacCauley hub (ACI's hub was specifically manufactured for another model plane). The documentation now shows the prop as a "Whirlwind" and subject to their maintenance schedule (means it's supported). Bill did comment that the blades were very good.

Regards,

Charles

Charles,

Thank you for the additional information... If I get no call, no show, no reply from ACI I will contact WW. If they are unable to help/repair, I already have plans to R&R with a WW.

WW gave me great customer service last year and again this year for a $35 part.

Last edited:
James, :D

We have seen this a few times before, and it is not a structural concern. The crack is occurring on the joint between the composite blade and the polyurethane collar, which is molded around the blade. The collar holds the blade retaining ring, and provides a sealing surface for the o-ring. Our recommendation would be to monitor the area to see if the crack continues to grow, and keep flying. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob Virkler

AeroComposites, Inc
www.aerocomposites.com
Ph 860-829-6809

Just thought I'd add a follow up to my first post on this thread.
The paint cracks I have in the photo I posted are indeed just paint cracks from blade flex during normal use. They have remained the same for the last 75 hours with no signs of them increasing.

That being said, having seen the images of the cracking in the hub on Kinger's prop really scares me.
At my last inspection I saw no signs of what is shown in his photos, but I think I'll remove my spinner before my next flight just to be on the safe side.
If I had that kind of issue, I would be grounding the plane too!

Last edited:
I asked Jacob about repairs and overhaul, his comments below..

Jim,
We do recommend getting the prop serviced every 5 years. The blade bearings get inspected and all o-rings get replaced, even if there hasn't been much time on it. Any prop shop that works on McCauley 200 series and 400 series constant speed props can work on these propellers. I am unsure of the closest one to you. As far as protecting the blades, I would call American Propeller Service in Redding, CA (1-800-292-7767), and talk to them. I believe the painter is named Doug. He will be able to tell you about the specific paint used, and where you could find a small quantity to brush on over the affected area.

Jacob Virkler

Back