What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fire extinguisher location w/ Classic Aero interior

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
My (beautiful) interior from Classic Aero arrived about a week ago...realized that my original plan for where to put the fire extinguisher (forward cockpit floor, center cover) would require poking holes in the carpet (noooooo!).

I'd rather not do that, obviously...anybody have any suggestions on locations for a small fire extinguisher with a Classic Aero Aviator interior (all the side panels, carpets, etc., you can get)?

Thanks...

Steve

I mounted mine forward of the spar on the passengers side. I used a brushed aluminum bracket that has a pull pin for easy release. I am in Rio right now and can't get the photo to upload but will try when I get home. Surprisingly this location has been completely out of the way for pax, yet within easy reach. I like the metal finish, it looks nice with the interior.

Mine is mounted on the front of the fuel selector panel cover. Basically, the fire extinguisher stands vertically on the carpet. The clamp mounts to the thin aluminum pretty easily, and I was worried it would move around quite a bit...but after almost 140 hours of flying, it's just fine.

We mounted our in the baggage compartment on the shelf on the copilot side fuselage. This way the pilot can reach it.
Phelps

Between Seats

I ended up mounting mine right between the seats and it seems to be out of the way but reachable.

N502CFbookphotos219.jpg

N502CFbookphotos213.jpg

Did mine vertically between the seat backs, using just Velcro. Stays put, but removable with just a strong grab. Doubles as a canopy buster.

Erich

Bone Head "Goodies"

Chris,

You have some awesome molded carbon fiber fixtures because of your many talents,, how about more pictures of all the "goodies" and make them available for the RV group for purchases?

Again, the many talents of this group amaze me, always.

Kenny Gene
RV 7a 294TC (AWC 9-07) sold with 670 hrs
RV 10 484TC (AWC 10-10) 135 hrs

Mounted mine behind the copilot seat frame up high enough that I can reach it. It is out of the way so nothing snags on it and is within reach if needed.

A couple of Adel clamps on the pilot landing gear tube.

It tucks in under the tube, is easily accessible, out of the way.

mounted mine under instrument panel, passenger side. If needed its already pointed toward the most likely fire source, the firewall. Have not had any complaints from passengers.

This was purchased from ACS.
MODEL A344TC - Halon 1211
Specifications
Agent weight 1.3 lb. / 0.567 kg
Gross weight 2.3 lb. / 1.021 kg
Discharge range 9-12 ft. / 2.7-3.7 m
Discharge time 10 sec.
Height 10.0 in. / 25.4 cm
Width 3.6 in. / 9.1 cm
Cylinder diameter 2.6 in. / 6.6 cm
UL rating 2B:C
Bracket Single Strap (Standard)

This was purchased from ACS.
MODEL A344TC - Halon 1211
Specifications
Agent weight 1.3 lb. / 0.567 kg
Gross weight 2.3 lb. / 1.021 kg
Discharge range 9-12 ft. / 2.7-3.7 m
Discharge time 10 sec.
Height 10.0 in. / 25.4 cm
Width 3.6 in. / 9.1 cm
Cylinder diameter 2.6 in. / 6.6 cm
UL rating 2B:C
Bracket Single Strap (Standard)
Thanks for the info. I need to get one.

Chris, I like the size of that extinguisher. Can you give any manufacturer, model #, etc. details about the fire extinguisher in your picture?

Received mine today from Chris, it's amazing craftsmanship- I can't wait for my next piece from Bonehead Composites

What will keep that fire bottle in place in the event of an accident?

For me, I added a stiffener to the spar cover that goes in front of the right side. Then used on of the cover screws and a platenut riveted to the aforementioned stiffener to secure the extinguisher. It is out of the way, doesn’t take up any room, and is easy to reach from the left seat.

Poking two holes in the carpet won't hurt it.

PS. That looks GREAT!

Last edited:
Back