What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lead shot bags

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Van mentions use of lead shot bags to help hold parts in position while assembling (I'm working on the flaps now). Couple of questions:

1 - is this the best way to do this?
2 - what's a good source?

Thanks,

Tom

Sportings goods stores that carry hunting supplies should carry 25# bags of lead shot used for reloading shotgun shells. I broke mine up into smaller muslin bags of half size. With these bags sitting spaced out on a 2x2 length of wood you will be able to keep you flap flat against your table. Very important to have enough weight. I had a total of 75# of lead keeping my flaps flat while working with them.

DCP_1196.JPG

I bought a bag of shot at the local gun shop, filled a pair
of leather gloves and sewed them up. Very handy!

I used dive weights for scuba diving, just because I had them. Anything heavy will work. Books, bricks, etc.

Shot Bags

I bought 3 x 25 lb lead shot bags from a firearms supplier. This stuff is not cheap! I think they were about $50/bag. I tried to see if I could get some reclaimed shot, say from a skeet range but was unable to locate a source. They were very helpful on the flaps etc and I'm glad I got them, but still amazed at the cost.

Call me cheap

I bought a 25 kg bag of sand and split it into a number of smaller plastic bags. I double bagged it & taped them up tight...

Dave

Shot bags work great for any number of tasks. I have used em as a "third hand" including
holding those fuel tank skins wide open while conducting dimpling operations:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=13700&highlight=shot+bags

I use em to quickly and efficiently lower the tail for nosewheel servicing:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=2105

Finally, any number of shot bags loaded aboard your RV serve as a straightforward and useful
tool for testing the CG limits during Phase 1 operations.

Another cheap option is using sand bags. I was able to buy multiple 75lb sand tubes at Home Depot, which I broke down into smaller bags. Works great and their cheap!

Health Hazard

We got rid of all the lead shot weight bags at work and replaced them where needed with iron shot because of environmental and health reasons. Not as heavy as lead but they work - so would sand.

Jim Sharkey

Bravo

Bravo Vlad - you are a kook... ;)

Anyone,

Is iron shot available at gun shops too?

Thanks,

T.

Another use

Nice thing about the lead shot bags is, when you're done with them you can load them in some shotgun shells and go shoot some birds. Not so much the iron....

you can use heavy sand if you can find it, it is about twice the weight of regular sand. something similar is zircon sand.

Tom, we are rarely off on Friday mornings so last Friday was a fluke. I WILL say if you still have enough money for breakfast after all the flooding up your way...we can make it happen! (i am off the next 2 weeks) :D

Unfortunately for me, I totally missed that memo while I was building components.

One alternative trick I discovered that I found helpful while riveting larger assemblies like flaps, etc (even the wings when doing the last skins) was to put a 1-2" layer of soft foam like a mattress pad (or even 1/2" foam carpet pad) on the bench & lay the component on that. The foam is 'sticky' enough to keep the component from sliding around, & the thicker foam can allow clecos on the bottom side of the component without putting excessive side loads on the clecos. The benefit (at least for me with my riveting techniques) was that the foam kept the component from sliding around, yet allowed slight movement in line with the rivet gun. I tried clamping the work to the bench, but having it fixed to an immovable object seemed to increase the risk of damage from the gun, & it didn't seem to allow the component the slight movement needed for the bucking bar to do its job.

Charlie

Always

Tony,

Always willing to trade breakfast for flying - that's a no brainer.
Gimme a shout!

Tom

Lead shot for ballast

I use two 25# bags of shot in the upper rear baggage shelf for ballast. I need 50# back there when flying solo to get proper weight and balance. When carrying passengers, I remove the shot and reconfigure for proper w&b.. I have an 8A with an IO360 that would be too nose heavy without. My airplane flies perfectly at about 82.5 inches CG.

Back