What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gust Locks

logansc

Well Known Member
Today's picture of Jim Gray's RV-8 features some neat gust locks I haven't seen before. Any info available on them?

Regards,

Lee...

Got it! You won't find them searching for "control locks" on Spruce, only if you search for "gust locks". Pretty finicky search!

Thanks for the help...kinda pricy!

Lee...

Here, Lee

For next to nothing, in a very short time, you can make these from scrap:

elevatorlock2.jpg

They do this:

elevatorlock1.jpg

Same deal for the ailerons. The fuel line rubber is a larger diameter than the bolt head so it doesn't scratch the surface.

Best,

Pierre: I made a set of locks very similar to yours, but wasn't satisfied with them. The aluminum I used was too thick and wouldn't slide in place very well. I need some really thin stuff to make it work. Good idea with the fuel hose, I used clear plastic tubing but it was the same basic idea. The AirGizmos would be around $100 for a set of three. I think I'll play with my tools again and see what I come up with.

They're just sitting around doing nothing these days now that the Rocket is finished...I'm kinda hoping they miss me!

Thanks for the info, guys!

Lee...

Poor Quality material used on the AirGizmo's Gust Lock

I bought two of the Air Gizmo Gust Locks and have to say this is one product that didn't last very long. Their GPS docking products are great, but the strapping material used on the Gust Locks is of poor grade.

It is NOT sunfast or durable enough to withstand prolonged outside weather.
My pair faded in a week, and the strapping material has already dry-rotted and broken in only 2 1/2 months usage.

One would hope they switch to a better grade material soon and hopefully I can get them to replace the current "remove before flight" strapping material in the near future, otherwise I think I may resort to creating a set like Mel did and trashing the Gizmo Gust locks.

A variation

I initially made some similar to Pierre's but I found the black fuel line stained my white paint so I switched to the clear tubing; no more marks!

There's one potential problem with these: it's possible to attempt to fly the plane with them engaged.

It would be nice to have a design that by its nature precludes operating the aircraft.

The various that lock the pedals and stick in the cockpit generally are like that. Unfortunately they aren't as secure a control lock. (I have one, it's also a towbar - very handy and not a bad control lock, but still....)

A marvelous idea is still needed - anyone?

Dave

My hat's off to Pierre. Made a set of locks using his pic and they work great. I did have to get two diameters of tubing and slide one inside the other but otherwise the design is all his. I think I spent $6 total.

wpid-Photo-Aug-3-2011-856-576x430.jpg

RE:Great DIY

My hat's off to Pierre. Made a set of locks using his pic and they work great. I did have to get two diameters of tubing and slide one inside the other but otherwise the design is all his. I think I spent $6 total.

Glen what size bolts did you use......

Frank @ 1L8 ... RV7A ...

The bolts in my locks are 1/2" heads. When I used tubing large enough to extend beyond the heads, the IO allowed too much slop for the bolt shaft. The local supply shop found two sizes of fuel hose where the OD of one was the ID of the other so it worked perfect for me. I stuffed one inside the other and then cut 1-1/2" or 2" lengths.

The lock for the ailerons has an extra piece of aluminum that "hooks" the hinge bracket so the lock can't slide off.

My plane isn't painted yet but my plan is to switch to thinner aluminum once it is.

I bought two of the Air Gizmo Gust Locks and have to say this is one product that didn't last very long. Their GPS docking products are great, but the strapping material used on the Gust Locks is of poor grade.

It is NOT sunfast or durable enough to withstand prolonged outside weather.
My pair faded in a week, and the strapping material has already dry-rotted and broken in only 2 1/2 months usage.

One would hope they switch to a better grade material soon and hopefully I can get them to replace the current "remove before flight" strapping material in the near future, otherwise I think I may resort to creating a set like Mel did and trashing the Gizmo Gust locks.

Just thought I'd post an update on the Gizmo Gust Locks...
After contacting them about the strap material, they sent me a new set and informed me that they are made out of a different material which should fair better in an outdoor environment than what they previously used. They sent them to me free of charge. I'll see how they do and send feedback in another couple of months on how the new ones hold up.

I built a set like Pierre's but with a couple modifications. My gap is less (about 3/4 inch), so they stay down at the trailing edge. Instead of the aluminum hooks, I used a small bungee cord and hook that onto the aileron bolt. The stretch in the bungee keeps the locks snug on the aileron/flap. Not sure if this would work on the 6 wings, as I believe they are a different setup.

greg

material suggestion....

I had some similar black hose gust locks, with just a zip-tie between.... adjusted to length.
the aileron locks had a length of shock-cord between hoses, instead of the zip-tie, or rigid aluminum...nice feature, they're pretty easy to stuff in a gear bag and take along on trips.
I found the black hose left scuff marks on my 'cool vanilla' paint, so added another larger chunk of clear poly hose over the black....only downside seems it is degrading in the sun after a year or 2.
a wrap of adhesive tape closer to the colour of the plane would work too!

Back