What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First power to Dynon Skyview

[email protected]

Well Known Member
after pulling a few wires for the power and ground on the sykview... flipped the master, programed the power pin in the vp-50, flipped the switch... and the dynon logo came to life. very cool. with near giddy enthusiasm we looked on.

after a few moments the screen changed to show two large red x?s with ems fail and position fail... hmmm... no network light on the ems module so i unplugged the open ended cable to the adahars, that is not installed, and restarted. okay now we had a network signal but the red x?s persisted.

i could not figure out how to get into setup mode without the book... press and hold buttons 7 and 8...

enter setup mode, select network configuration, and configure. the dynon finds and registers all devices and sets up the initial screens. wow, this was really cool.

skyviewfirstpower.jpg

toggle switches

there is room for standard switches below the skyview... placement here could be problematic though from the close proximity to the built in buttons on the skyview. i have most of the switch functions managed from a vp-50 with additional capacity under the 696.

Thanks for posting the pics and info. I'm planning on a similar setup (vp-50, skyview and 696) so will be interested in reading about how your install goes

Hi Stephen,

Can you tell me where you placed the engine monitor sensor pack please. Im building a slider and was looking at mounting it horizontal to the bottom of F7105b-l. A picture would be nice. :)

ems module location

i placed the ems module just forward of any interference from the glove box for reasonable future access.

here is a photo.
img3815w.jpg

Thanks Stephen for the photo. I see that the tip-up ribs are much bigger than mine are, so I cant use that spot. Here is a photo of where I hope to place mine.

p2101991.jpg

I will put a support arm in to hold the rear, what do you think ?

Last edited:
so many routing decisions...

there are just so many routing decisions to be made... most anything *can* work... where you place the ems *might* impact routing for other wiring later. where you have it you will need to consider the routing for the mags, starter, pilot side phone and mic that will all be right around there... just a heads up. also, you might give some consideration to your location of firewall penetrations for cables with regard to the stock thermocouple lengths... just make sure that your routing has enough length for the farthest cylinder, you may be pushing it with the included cables... not that you could not get a longer one.

i have an easily removable co-pilot stick and have been planning for general under dash access by removing the co-pilot stick and seat to crawl / lie across the spar into the copilot foot well with a pillow over the co-pilot stick stub... so i have placed everything i can on the copilot side.

the only time you would need to access the ems unit would be to add / modify a sensor. initially i removed all unused wires from the harness but i may add a few back and coil a couple on each side of the firewall for future... not sure of the real benefit of 'future' planning though... it would not be too difficult to add one later... i have gone back and forth on 'future' planning.

Last edited:
just make sure that your routing has enough length for the farthest cylinder, you may be pushing it with the included cables... not that you could not get a longer one.

i have an easily removable co-pilot stick and have been planning for general under dash access by removing the co-pilot stick and seat to crawl / lie across the spar into the copilot foot well with a pillow over the co-pilot stick stub... so i have placed everything i can on the copilot side.

Two very good points !, I dont have my pilot side stick in while I am working just now, but that would be a big problem when it is fitted. So I will look at putting it in the middle or the co-pilot side. Im going to put 4 x nut plates in so I can remove it if needed. With it horizontal, the cable will go straight out through the fire wall with no bends.

Im still not decided on the position of the ADAHRS, somewhere in the baggage area at this time. I already have the skin on in that area so im a bit limited for easy access. Im thinking that where some people put the dynon remote compass could be an option.

Back