What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alcad and Lot number writing on out side of Elevator skin.

msturgis

Well Known Member
So Im working away on my right elevator, and I noticed that the normal red writing that you see on the inside of the skins (Alcad, Lot Number, and Skin Thickness) is printed on the outside of the skin.

It's only this way on the right elevator skin. Has anyone else seen this? Will this affect paint/polishing? Should I send it back to Vans?

Last edited:
So Im working away on my right elevator, and I noticed that the normal red writing that you see on the inside of the skins (Alcad, Lot Number, and Skin Thickness) is printed on the outside of the skin.

It is only this way on the right elevator skin. Has anyone else seen this? Will this affect paint/polishing? SHould I send it back to Vans?

Give it a couple of swipes with lacquer thinner or acetone, it'll come right off.

Build on. :)

Alclad aluminum is the same on both sides. Like Sam says, it'll come right off. If it doesn't readily come with lacquer thinner, it will as soon as you start to polish or scuff.

Use MEK

The solvent (less harmful than acetone) called MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) is perfect for removing all the printed markings. Slosh some on a rag and wipe.

even the high percentage rubbing alcohol you get at a pharmacy will remove the printing, and it evaporates nicely with nearly no harmful fumes.

Not to start a debate, but the MSDS' for Acetone and MEK read almost exactly the same, and I heard that MEK was more dangerous than acetone. So treat them both alike and use whatever you prefer.

"Safer" is only relative

I hope this is taken as information and nothing more, but Acetone and MEK are in the same family of Ketones; both are hazardous if not handled properly. Both are extremely flammable and are absorbed through the skin.

That said, I do use both Acetone and MEK in my shop, but I'm careful to use full ventilation, chemical proof gloves and if using large quantities (i.e. paint solvents); I use a respirator, full arm/leg covering and ventilation.

If you are going to use these; I'd suggest you get a copy of the MSDS sheet (googling should get you a copy easily) and read it carefully. There can be long-term health effects to many chemicals, including these.

I hope this is taken as information and nothing more, but Acetone and MEK are in the same family of Ketones; both are hazardous if not handled properly. Both are extremely flammable and are absorbed through the skin.

That said, I do use both Acetone and MEK in my shop, but I'm careful to use full ventilation, chemical proof gloves and if using large quantities (i.e. paint solvents); I use a respirator, full arm/leg covering and ventilation.

If you are going to use these; I'd suggest you get a copy of the MSDS sheet (googling should get you a copy easily) and read it carefully. There can be long-term health effects to many chemicals, including these.

For this application, and it also works well as primer prep, you can use rubbing alcohol from the pharmacy/ grocery store. use the higher percentage stuff (90 or higher). It is much safer than either acetone or MEK, i'm of the opinion to use the cheapest and safest solvent possible, for cleaning skins this stuff is much better than acetone or MEK.

Back