What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

In praise of Quiet Technologies

Louise Hose

Well Known Member
We dropped by the QT booth (next to GRT) at Oshkosh and chatted with Phil. I mentioned that I had made a boner mistake and lowered Mikey's canopy on my Halo headset's wire several months ago, resulting in the stripped insulation in a very small area. The headset worked fine most of the time but occasionally cut out in one ear. I asked Phil how much to repair the self-inflicted damage. He thought a bit, asked if the headset was at Oshkosh (it was), and offered to trade it out for free while at the Show. What a deal!

Not only was this great customer service, but I learned something else about Halos. My original Halo (purchased about 20 months ago) never felt fully comfortable. I had to adjust it frequently from the beginning. But, like contact lenses, I was determined to make it work and quickly adapted. The new Halo fits wonderfully and I don't have to play with it in flight any more. (I have since tried on two more Halos and found that they also fit nicely.) So, apparently, the shape of the fit around the head may vary. Since it seems the design changes a bit from time to time, these design changes may cause the difference. So, if you find that the Halo you try doesn't fit your head quite right, perhaps it is worth it to try a different set.

I really liked my original Halo but now I'm completely comfortable and love the new one. :D Thanks, Phil.

Dittos about Phil. Great guy and great product. I have been the first guy at his booth for four years in a row, mainly because of these two reasons. And maybe I am in a rut...

Bob Kelly

My halo's had an intermittent connection on the way to SNF. When I got there he played around with them for a minute then reached in his box and handed me a new pair. That sort of customer service earned him two sales from immediate friends of mine at the airshow. They were both on the fence about getting a new pair of headsets, but once they saw that he takes care of his customers they bought them to try out, and quickly turned into converts.

I just don't get why anyone would wear anything but in-ear headsets nowadays.

triple ditto re: Phil & Halo

This guy is incredible. I bot a unit 2 yrs ago and couldn't get it quiet enough. He took it back, no questions asked. At Lakeland I talked & tried again w/ oversized yellow ear plugs he now has available. UNBELIEVABLE. Used in 37 ship formation group & frankly the sound is clearer than my Bose. Wish all our vendors were so diligent & helpful...Bill C.

Microphone issue

When I use my Halo, I have difficulty using the intercom, and the tower often comments that my transmissions are weak and scratchy. Only happens with Halo, my old DC works fine.

Any ideas?

When I use my Halo, I have difficulty using the intercom, and the tower often comments that my transmissions are weak and scratchy...
Talk to Phil. They should work great.

My first set had symptoms similar to yours. It had a bad mike and was replaced for free.

best customer service

i agree with all above and wish all companies operated like his.

2007 I did not feel my Halos were working correct so stopped by his OSH booth to talk with him about them. He asked if i could bring them by and i did that afternoon. He played with them for few seconds and then handed me a new pair. He said my Mic had a problem and the new one did not.
Unbelievable.. later that year i ordered a second Halo for my wife so we did not have to fight over who got to wear it. Now i have 2.

This year at osh I felt my volumn did not work properly. This time when i stopped by booth I had mine with me.. He fixed it on spot and showed me how to in future. (it needed cleaning a little)

Now my wifes halo has had a door shut on it also, but she has not complained YET. I knew he would fix at Osh, but I did not take it by since he has been so good all the other times, i did not want to take advantage of him. But, I do feel if my wife says they start to not work properly, that Phil will stand behind and fix them. That is how he has treated me EVERY time i see him at a show.

If you want to do business with small owner/pilot operated company that:
1. puts out a great product
2. stands behind that product
3. has unbelievable customer service you wish all companies had
4. keeps our cost down (he is below everything on the market)

then give Quiet Technologies a try. If you don't like them, i think he will let you return no questions asked.. but don't quote me on that, check for yourself.

I am in no way affiliated with them, just a very happy customer.

jeff harrell
austin tx

Great service

I had a problem with intermittent audio on my Halo (2.5 years old), and sent it back to Phil. He replaced both connectors with the new style (one was bad), soldered in a new volume control, and replaced the ear tubes and mic wind sock, all at no charge (and quick turn around).

While the Halo was gone I reverted to my old Bose X headset (normally used for passengers). The noise seemed worse than with the Halo, particularly on takeoff when the electronic noise canceling doesn't quite keep up. The main advantage of the Bose is that its quicker to put on.

I'll echo many of the previous comments. My halo was starting to cut out periodically, brought it by Phil's booth at OSH, and now have a new pair. Works great, Thanks.

I guess I'll say it out loud ...

It's good to read about the exemplary after-the-sale service QT provides given the apparent suspect quality of their product as detailed in all the previous posts.
I'm glad I went with the Clarity Alofts. More expensive - yes. Superior quality - definitely.

And then...

And then there are those of us who have owned QT Halo's for several years and have never had a problem with them. I have two pair, and they have given me absolutely no problems. :p

Let's see, ten problems noted here, two caused by either a door or canopy latch mashing the cable. And all but one say they've had the problem fixed by Phil with no charge.

Doesn't exactly sound like an epidemic to me, when you consider the hundreds of QT's that are in service. If the Clarity Aloft are good headsets, then good for them. It's probably because they got the idea for the design from Phil in the first place. Check it out.

Last edited:
QT

I love my QT Halo! now i'm sure mine hasn't seen quite the hours that they will see in the future, but i'm VERY pleased with them!! super quiet, super comfortable, super clear sound.

no complaints, no problems!

But I know that I'll be well taken care of if a problem ever arises.

I first tried on Roy's (RV8180), and decided it was well worth it! and I was right! :cool:

It's good to read about the exemplary after-the-sale service QT provides given the apparent suspect quality of their product as detailed in all the previous posts.
I'm glad I went with the Clarity Alofts. More expensive - yes. Superior quality - definitely.

I don't doubt the Clarity Aloft is also a great product (at nearly 50% higher price). I disagree that the Halo's are of "suspect quality" however. I put something like 250 hours on mine before having a problem (with an early-design plug that gets hard use), that cost me nothing to fix. More importantly, the audio quality is superb - better than the $900 Bose.

QT's

I just bought mine this year at Oshkosh. I tried both QT & Clarity, but opted for the QT on price. I talked with the owner and he said he has about 3-4% failure rate, but if I had ANY problem to send them back to him and he would replace them no charge! Great guy and a pilot, but not an RV owner. I think he had a Tri-Pacer. I have used my QT's ever since Oshkosh and love them.:D

Count me as a very satisfied customer.

Thats one way to see it.
My way: Have Lightspeed, DC and Halo bought within a year.
Both the DC and the lightspeed has been into service so far. Halo has not. And the Halo is the only one that I always bring along since it is way easier to carry with you in a briefcase etc.
Just because we have i a few gents with good experience from the service of QT, that does not imidiatly imply that QT products is of inferiour quality.

And as far as service go: I am a person who often is abroad: QT has always been easy to deal with. Belive me, a lot of companies get very troubled when the adress is anything but within the US.. QT did not.

Last edited:
Back