What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help for planning steps - panel&electric stuff

lucaperazzolli

Well Known Member
I'm well prepared to start putting spaghetti wire into my plane (rv8)

But I need to have some advices from you in order to do the right sequence (or more convenient).

The main question is : when to install the upper fwd skin in order to rivet the panel to it, I think it's not a nice idea reaching the rivet with the bucking bar with the stuff already mounted. But I understand that having not the upper skin give me easier to reach the places for install electrical stuff & more.

- I've the panel cutted & painted, ready for instruments

- My baggage fwd bulkhead has a big window option (to reach the back of the panel if mounted)

- I've my side cockpit panel will all CB & SW in position

- I've not yet riveted the fwd upper skin

Let me know with thanks in advance

Well you're in the right part of the world for spagetti so you cant go wrong there!! Be sure to post some pics!

I think first you need to choose marinara, or alfredo sauce.

I would wait as long as possible to rivet the skin on, it will make access a lot easier with it off.

The panel is held on with screws, not riveted.

The panel is held on with screws, not riveted.

sorry, I mean that the instrument panel attachment flange that it's already solidly with the two side sub panels must to be riveted to the upper skin

BTW standard it's the best : Spaghetti, tomato sauce, basil and ground parmesan cheese :)

Last edited:
On my -9A slider, I avoided doing any riveting on front panel structure until all the avionic trays were fitted and EFIS depths were confirmed in order to determine if/how much the rear panel bulkheads would have to be cut to accommodate trays and wire access. Once that is done, the structure can be riveted. The top skin will not get riveted until all my wiring is completed and tested. I have NO desire to go diving under my panel!

When doing your electrical layout, just imagine how you would go about fixing/trouble shooting your installation. Now, take that nightmare and redesign your layout and access points to avoid the nightmare!!

I'm using a modular panel that is easy to remove to gain access to the back of my panel. My fuse blocks are hinged for each drop down. All other items that will be installed behind the panel will have nut plates for easy removal.

Good luck.

I'm waiting on the skin

I'm at about the same point in my construction. I have a maze of wiring installed for my panel. Everyone has told me to wait until the wiring is in before installing the top skin. My plan is to get everything installed on the subpanels, finish up all the wiring/plumbing forward of the panel, and then rivet on the top skin. Once that is done I'll get to work on my baggage door and attach the main panel. I also have a large access door in the aft baggage bulkhead so I can access the panel, but I think it will be much easier to make all my wiring connections with the skin off.

As others have said, wait as long as you can to rivet the forward deck skin. I waited until I had to mount the windscreen.

When I riveted the forward deck skin, I had the panel installed with all the wiring and pitot/static plumbing and didn't want to remove the panel. I removed the AFS3500 and I had a big enough hole to get my arms through for bucking while I sat in the pilot's seat.

I also have an access panel from the forward baggage compartment (which is absolutely invaluable), but it would be very difficult to do all the wiring with only the access panel.

Kevin's idea...

..... Now, take that nightmare and redesign your layout and access points to avoid the nightmare!!

I'm using a modular panel that is easy to remove to gain access to the back of my panel. My fuse blocks are hinged for each drop down. All other items that will be installed behind the panel will have nut plates for easy removal.

Good luck.

......is definitely the way to go. I'm doing a -7A now and it will have a three-piece modular/removable panel with long enough wiring to lay back in the cockpit for future access. I've already been under my -6A for a TruTrak install and an SL-30 upgrade...:eek::eek:..no fun at all.

Regards,

Back