What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

economy and vendors

prkaye

Well Known Member
There's been a couple of threads about how the economic crisis is affecting builders. My job (gov't) is very secure, but what's concerned me is how the crisis will affect some of our beloved vendors. As more experimental builders put their projects on hold, vendors of stuff like experimental avionics, interiors, tools and other stuff specific to our industry may really suffer. I would really hate to see any of them have to close-up shop.
What do people think... will the economic problems lead to significant numbers of our vendors closing-down, shrinking the industry that surrounds homebuilt aviation?

Maybe, but...

It seems (to me, at least) that most people who have a hobby that is as cash intensive as flying are fairly secure in their jobs and income. Sure, there are always going to be a certain percentage of us who may fall on hard times, but for the most part, aviators have achieved some degree of financial comfort.

Since flying and building isn't cheap, and there's always something that needs to be repaired / upgraded / swapped / built, I think that the experimental community will provide a steady stream of $$$ from our wallets to vendors accounts. This is probably more true among the pricier homebuilts, such as Vans, Lancairs, Glastars, etc. The less expensive kitplanes, such as Sonex or Fisher, may be hit harder by tough times.

I spoke with a vendor today - he told me that he was so busy taking orders that he was having a tough time getting things boxed up and shipped out to customers! Plenty of business coming his way. His comment was that he isn't being affected by the current economic situation at all!:D

It seems (to me, at least) that most people who have a hobby that is as cash intensive as flying are fairly secure in their jobs and income. Sure, there are always going to be a certain percentage of us who may fall on hard times, but for the most part, aviators have achieved some degree of financial comfort.

Since flying and building isn't cheap, and there's always something that needs to be repaired / upgraded / swapped / built, I think that the experimental community will provide a steady stream of $$$ from our wallets to vendors accounts. This is probably more true among the pricier homebuilts, such as Vans, Lancairs, Glastars, etc. The less expensive kitplanes, such as Sonex or Fisher, may be hit harder by tough times.

I spoke with a vendor today - he told me that he was so busy taking orders that he was having a tough time getting things boxed up and shipped out to customers! Plenty of business coming his way. His comment was that he isn't being affected by the current economic situation at all!:D

The last thing I read was all the people that were laid off equal'd the population of Pennsylvania. I am reluctantly one of them. So, maybe you could put in a good word for me with that vendor, and I can go work for him, lol.

What you said about aviators are true. However, many of those vendors don't make that much profit to begin with. A 10 - 20% drop in sale can push them of the edge. Then again, vendors cater to experimentals are usually small and operated as part time businesses and they are probably going to be able to weather the down turn.

The last thing I read was all the people that were laid off equal'd the population of Pennsylvania. I am reluctantly one of them. So, maybe you could put in a good word for me with that vendor, and I can go work for him, lol.

If you want to move to Washington state and work in the shipping dept of a small paint supply company... ;)

All kidding aside, I realize that the economy is taking a beating and that there are many people around the country (and here on VAF) that are experiencing hard times. I certainly don't mean to say that we're all doing just honky-dory! My thoughts are with each of us who are worrying about where our next paycheck is coming from, or how we'll make our next house payment.

Talked to a local vendor who supplies aircraft hardware & he said things were slow for awhile but have picked up in the last month. His customers include outfits like ACS.

Back