What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leadville CO, advice?

Sig600

Well Known Member
A buddy of mine, newly minted PPL/Instrument has asked me to ferry a Bonanza from TX to NV with him. We're thinking about stopping in Leadville if the weather is good enough. Any advice from guys that have done it? Airplane is turbonomalized with all the goodies, so it can do it no problem but looking at the terrain headed west from there, I'm trying to plot an exit strategy. Probably make the trip in a week or two.

Thanks!

I am not sure if you are asking about the airport itself, or routing to and from. The airport will be no problem. While it is surrounded by high mountains, it actually sits in the middle of a broad valley and has good access. If departing to the North, there is a hill a few miles out that low performing aircraft need to bend around. Departing any other direction, the mountains are far enough away that you will be able to climb to cruise altitude before you get to them. No box canyons to worry about. Fly your normal airspeeds, but remember that your ground speed will be faster on roll out. Stop in the FBO to get your "highest airport" certificate, and if you go into town to eat, I recommend the Golden Burro for their hub cap size cinnamon rolls and great coffee.

Jim Berry
RV-10

South of Leadville to Salida and west over Monarch Pass towards Gunnison/Telluride is a decent route west.

Biggest question I would have is that of the aircraft - it's perfectly capable if everything works right, but it's an aircraft you're not familiar with and a situation that could seriously bite you if everything is not right.

A ferry flight, by definition, is not for sight-seeing.

+1 for what Greg said..

The biggest challenge IMO will be density altitude (hence faster ground speed on landing/takeoff) and mountain weather, which can be very unpredictable. Not to be a drag, but consider: You will be in an unfamiliar plane (I assume), flying over unfamiliar terrain, with unfamiliar performance characteristics, into an unfamiliar airport, which happens to be the highest in the US. Certainly doable, but only after properly assessing and preparing/minimizing the risks at hand...

I probably should've added I've got about 300 hours in a turbonormalized Bonanza just like it in the last 12 months, so it's not unfamiliar to either of us. Also live at 4K' in western NV, so flying around rocks isn't new, they're just not as big around here.:eek: Just a new plane to their family to replace one that popped a motor a few months ago and was dead sticked into a field. Passengers walked away, plane not so much.

I'll check out the other discussion, thanks guys.

Last edited:
No sweat...

I probably should've added I've got about 300 hours in a turbonormalized Bonanza just like it in the last 12 months, so it's not unfamiliar to either of us. Also live at 4K' in western NV, so flying around rocks isn't new, they're just not as big around here.:eek: Just a new plane to their family to replace one that popped a motor a few months ago and was dead sticked into a field. Passengers walked away, plane not so much.

I'll check out the other discussion, thanks guys.
No worries Mate!
Turbonomailized Bonanza? I took my 65HP T-Craft in there! No worries bro, it's a long runway in an even longer descending valley. If you're concerned, look at the Bonanza load vs density altitude charts, pack light, reduced fuel load and a notch of flaps on T/O. Cheap gas there BTW...

A cave man could do it...

V/R
Smokey

With all your experience you will be fine Sig. Don't forget that "Certificate of Navigation" it's cool and memorable. Have ferry fun :)

Def going to grab a certificate and get pictures. Thanks guys.

Plane holds 114 gallons. Just two of us and was already planning to light load the gas.

Should not be an issue for the Bonanza. Flew to Leadville in a 1957 C-172 with friend. Not an issue, However, if landing in valley watch for sudden wind shifts down the mountains. Yes, you can land a 172 with full flaps in a 28kt direct crosswind:eek:. I know.

Shannon Evans

Should not be an issue for the Bonanza. Flew to Leadville in a 1957 C-172 with friend. Not an issue, However, if landing in valley watch for sudden wind shifts down the mountains. Yes, you can land a 172 with full flaps in a 28kt direct crosswind:eek:. I know.

Shannon Evans

Haha! Did that once myself. Yes, it's possible - but there is a big difference between "could" and "should". That's the closest I've ever been to wrinkling metal. :eek:

Shannon Evans
At some point the taxiway, or landing across the runway to the taxiway might be an option... Not that I've ever done anything like that - in Rock Springs, WY - when the wind was blowing 30-35-kts...

WYOWINDSOCK.JPG

Leadville

The west side of the runway has a long line of trees, so be careful of rolling turbulence down low coming off the tree line. Both times I've been there wind has been quartering out of the NW, favoring Rnwy 34. You come over a river drainage/ embankment as you approach the runway so I've seen it squirrelly base to final. There is something of a break in the tree line on the left at the touchdown point which funnels turbulence right there.

The thing I've noticed the most about landing there is the controls just "feel soft". The flair/touchdown isn't as responsive. Handling just "feels" very different. Requires vigilance and more caution.
Beautiful place.

Back