What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airflow w/ Andair fuel selector

ka6dan

Well Known Member
I?m building a 9A with an IO-320. Long ago I selected an ANDAIR fuel selector valve over the selector VANS supplied. Now I?m at the point of installing the AIRFLOW pump/filter. VANS? instructions are based on VANS selector. The ANDAIR selector conflicts with that arrangement, VANS arrangement has the pump return line connecting upstream in the supply line via a Tee at the selector, with downstream tubing routed to the filter inlet:confused:. This does not work with the ANDAIR selector.
I came up with a solution. My solution is to rotate the pump 180 deg., run the supply tubing from the ANDIR to a tee mounted to the filter inlet with the return tubing attached to the top of the Tee. The pump discharge would be routed directly from the pump to the firewall. In affect this relocates the return line from the fuel valve to the inlet to the filter. To me it looks like same same, just a few inches difference from the tee at the selector valve.
Question: is this approach acceptable? Yes I will have to make a somewhat bigger pump/filter housing box to accommodate this chance.

I don't know if your idea will work but you can get the "F Swivel Tee" from Van's and the problem is solved.

I don't know if your idea will work but you can get the "F Swivel Tee" from Van's and the problem is solved.

I used the "F Swivel Tee" from Van's with this combination and installed per Van's instructions. There is no need to make major changes.

Sounds the same

If I got your post correct, you are returning the pump bypass to the inlet on the filter...while Van's setup returns the bypass to a tee at the selector which goes immediately to the filter inlet. That sounds like the same plumbing solution.

Difference I see is Van's uses a tee at the selector (which I also did) and the housing et al work with that arrangement stock. Moving your pump around just means more work for you.

This is just one of many areas you will have to contend by going IO-320 in an RV-9A. Very little of Van's FWF instructions work with the IO-320 on an RV-9A. I also had issues with control routing, mixture lever/cowl interference, airbox position, fuel sensor and fuel line pass-thru at firewall, ....

Good Luck!

Alan is spot-on ....

.. about the lack of F'wall Fwd info from Vans for an IO-320 in a Nine or 9A. I found that aspect a tad frustrating; ended up "groping" my way on firewall penetrations and control/cable routings. If and when you get to that point, give us a shout. We can help a bunch.

Reread the airflow info. They indicate the tee for the return can be mounted on the inlet to the filter. All's good.

I will require the tee vans sells for the andair application.

My fundimental problem was the tubing preinstalled by airflow interfered with the left tank supply tubing to the andair. My fix appears to be workable with no adjustment to this tubing.

Fabbed the larger housing today. 1st for me. Looks good.

As for firewall forward and the IO320. I'm trying to make all necessary penetration prior to the motor mount. Called vans for some input as to the fuel line penetration. Go with the IO360 dwg. Today it looks like the starter relay slightly interfers with that location. Will adjust slightly and press on.

Back