What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 In Australia About to Take to the Sky

AMac

VH-BUY received her Special Certificate of Airworthiness today! Seven years of work will see her take to the sky this weekend for phase 1 testing :)

Yee-haa!

[ed. Link to pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/116264024@N04/12429175783/ dr]

photostream

Last edited:
All the best!

That is pretty cool. My 6 is not that far from the 1st flight so I feel your excitement! All the best make sure to add some pictures!

Thank you all, as soon I get on top of the pictures thing I will post! Yes flightlogic, very warm down here at the moment :)

Congrats

As Bob said it's still fresh in my mind and you will love the -10.
I'll have my test flight program completed tomorrow if weather allows.

Mike

VH-BUY received her Special Certificate of Airworthiness today! Seven years of work will see her take to the sky this weekend for phase 1 testing :)
QUOTE]

Lovely! As someone who is considering a -10 I would ask how do you think it will be with 4 people? Comfortable or just for sightseeing?

C, extremely comfortable with 4. The front seats recline and the airplane is 7" wider than a Skyhawk.

Four of us flew from Key West, IFR, full fuel, four carry-on bags and a laptop, truing 201 mph at 70% power at 8,000', :)

Best,

Thanks all, Geoff, I'll send some completed pics of the panel & interior in a bit. Feel free to use them if you want. Very happy with your product!

Congrats!!!

Awesome Andrew!!! Howdid your pride in joy fly? Any issues i should be thinking of as I am few days away from flying also?
What part of Melbourne are you located? Have trip planned in near future but will mostly be in Adelaide and Riverland area. Would like to detour to see your project. I love Aus....could live there in heart beat!!

Congratulations!!

Andrew, congrats on the new fledgling :D

Did you do the first flight or did you have someone else do it??

Mike,

Apart from Mick and Jamie, most would not know Andy Mac, but he is the dude in the nomex flight suit......Its the middle of summer and been hot as ****, so he was not doing that just to watch ;).

I spoke with Andrew this morning and I reckon when he comes down off the high and gets a moment we might hear more, but so far nil defects and flew straight as a die. I am impressed. :)

I am sure there will be more details to follow.

Congratulations to both Andrew and his plane partner Daniel.

G'day Jack & Mike,

I did the first flight :D Daniel & I set a conservative schedule for the test flight. Like all of us here we wanted to get the job done ASAP, we worked hard over the final 3 months but were careful not to set tight deadlines. It was literally one step at a time, we didn't set a date for any subsequent step until the previous step was completed. This took a **** of a mental load off me as far as the first flight was concerned.

I'd only committed myself to doing the first flight probably 3 weeks prior even though it was in the back of my mind all along to do it. I sought advice from a couple of test pilots, talked to a couple of TC's & listened to the Approved Person who issued the CofA. Great advice from generous people. I'm still extraordinarily moved by the support of many people in this community who expect nothing in return.

I flew up to Brisvegas and did some conversion training with my good mate David Brown about a week prior. On the day of the flight we had very few things to check, the pace was relaxed and it was about getting my head in the right frame of mind. I wasn't nervous or anxious BUT there was a point where I said to myself 'I'm ready'

It flew absolutely beautifully! The rigging couldn't have been better and the engine was perfect, EGT's, CHT's, pressures etc were excellent. I haven't experienced rates of climb from any aircraft that I've flown previous to match this! The only thing we'll change quicker than we planned will be to put GAMI injectors in. I don't think the fuel flow to cylinder 2 is as good as the others.

I got a little nervous on the landing, we're operating into a tight-ish strip and the nature of the undershoot dictated landing with 5 knots tail wind, I needn't have been, it pulled up in about 300m without having to hit the anchors!

Jack, I don't think I'm qualified to give advice on whether to do the first flight, it's something you need to find in yourself I think! I've got about 1600 hours total: multi, turbine, aerobatics & instructing time but would have had no qualms saying no if my head was not in the right spot. Having said that, it was absolutely exhilarating. You've read it here so many times, the 10 is superb!

I'm in Melbourne itself, Adelaide is not far away (in a 10 :D) by all means get in contact with me, we'll definitely go for a fly! Good luck for your first flight, it is up there with, if not exceeding your first solo!

Congratulations again, Andrew and Daniel.
It was great to be there to witness the event too!

The difference in the takeoff length and the rate of climb between your RV and the Warrior(?) was astounding.

Looking forward to seeing the completed video...

Great strip, even though the runway is short, the fence might be a an issue but otherwise after takeoff the paddock (prairie or field) is a good option if it goes ugly.

Great work Macca!

Great Video

Great Job!!
Got to ask, what location are you guys at?.....been several years but spent time working in Yarra valley, Geelong, and Wangarrata ( not sure if that is spelled right) Great country and people!!!

Jack
It is Dereel Airstrip, which I understand is between Ballarat and Geelong, but I do not know exactly where it is on Google Earth.
John

Last edited:
Hi Jack and John
I own the Dereel INTERNATIONAL airstrip as Dan has named it. It is 650 Mtrs long and until the extreme weather, was grass. I will get the irrigation going for next year as it is very sandy here.
John were you based at Little river for a while? If so you would have seen Andy and Dans plane there as a flat pack, and my RV7A. Hows the 12 going??
For google earth try this:
37?49'41.37"S
143?44'49.20"E
RV's always welcome to drop in.... 747's will require prior approval.

Mick

Mick
Yep, that's me.
The 12 is still unstarted, unfortunately.
I am now distracted by a Chipmunk and a Stampe SV-4.
Can offer you a fly in them, once we get CASA paperwork done.
The R-22 is sold, as you know.
Nice to see the RV-10 in it's non embryonic state, so to speak.
John.

Last edited:
Jack, if you remember the general Geelong area you keep heading west for about an hours drive. You'd miss driving through Dereel if you blinked. The international airport is well hidden there! Great spelling by the way!

John, we must have only just missed meeting on a few occasions, I remember seeing the R22 there.

Andy
Great to see your success - a lot of perserverence I am sure.
Flat pack, to aircraft is something to be proud of.
John

Congratulations

Congratulations Andy and Daniel,
I bet your as pleased as anything now that she is flying!
I,m struggling along with my own RV10 project now coming up 4 years I think.
Which doors seals did you use.?

cheers
John MacCallum
VH-DUU

G'day John, stoked! I'll get the name of the seals for you or Mick may post! If we can be of any help, PM. I've gotten a stack of help from another 10 dood, pay it forward eh!

Back