What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What % of flight time is you flying alone?

AL_O_Dine

For those of you with airplanes, past or present, what percentage of your total personal flight time, would you estimate, is just you flying alone in a multi seat aircraft?

Taking the phase 1 out of it, I would have to say only 10--15 %.

My wife loves to fly, and I choose to wait until she can accompany me on most flights.

15%; my wife Twany has been in the right seat for 85% of the hours after the initial 40 hours. That is why we built a 7A.

10 to 20%! The rest of the time with buddies or students.;)
If not for students then it would be closer to 50%.

solo

95% solo. Wife is afraid, son isn't interested. I would fly more with company. Hoping wife will feel safer in RV as apposed to current Aeronca Chief. Heck, I have video of her skydiving! That was pre mom days.

Probably less than 4%. Ann is a pilot also and loves to fly.

If I land solo, I am immediately confronted with questions like, "Where's Ann?"
"Is something wrong?"

When I fly solo, it's usually because Ann is bringing something in the car that wouldn't fit in the airplane.

Last edited:
almost never

Carol is retired and loves to fly, travel, camp, go any time, she even will dry camp, I do not like dry camping. I like a hot shower ,, like Johnson Creek!!!
She loves to go and is a pilot.
Rarely fly with out another person. But,, My Job does let me fly solo some.
Recently a fellow RV friend/RV owner, needed a magneto in a nearby town. As A Bonus I GET to fly in a job related activity!!!!!
Most of my flying is destination orentinanted,, so sometimes I have to go solo. Most times we are traveling together. I like it that way. ;););););)

Last edited:
Something like 1%. My wife not only likes to fly, she is a pilot her own self.

Tim

my life

At the most I fly alone 2% as my wife is a pilot also and loves to travel so we fly together a lot.

About 50% now due to the constraints of low powered airplane, large occupants, grass strip and density altitude concerns six months of the year. Once the 7 is finished and out of phase 1, I imagine it will be close to 2% or less as Ginger loves to fly.

Hmmmm...

Probably 50/50 for me.....unless you count multiple
personalities....then every seat is always full:D
That's my story and I am sticking to it...and me too...and me too...and me too...:rolleyes:

My wife is with me for most of the hours I fly. She does not like to fly per se- just likes to get there fast. I'd say I'm solo about 35%.

I'd guess 60% solo and 40% with someone in the right seat, usually my wife. She is neutral about flying as near as I can tell. She enjoys going some place interesting for lunch and likewise going somewhere fast for a few days or a week away. And while she'd never admit it, I think she loves the idea that weather might delay our departure...and has. I swear she was grinning when she called a co-worker and said we be 2 days late returning.

RV-10

This past year my numbers have been about:
85 - 95% 4 seats
5-10 % 2-3 seats
and to answer your question
1-5% 1 seat

95%

95% local
5% cross country.

Last summer flew to SoCal and back with my son, so that was a big chunk of dual. I had a lot of trips to DC that were solo to get to work, as well as solo trips to Charleston monthly for my USAF reserve drill weekends.

Good times, I can't wait to fly my plane again!

About 50/50. Like many of you, my wife is with me for most trips and I'm solo for local flights.

Numbers

About 50 percent local and 50 percent cross country. I almost never fly solo. 63 different people, 2 turtles and a dog all in 2.5 years. I figure if I am flying taking up someone and sharing the fun is our duty. Kids, clients, student pilots, friends whatever. Just ask who is around. Lets share this amazing hobby. Cross country's are always with the wife, makes trips much more fun!

Let's see....two pilots (me and Louise), three airplanes, most of our friends have airplanes, we live in two different places right now....travel a lot and sometimes meet up from different directions. Nope - no way I could even make a reasonable guess at a numerical percentage. But solo is the predominant way I fly (as does Louise). Unless, of course, you count when the two of us are in formation....

Two realities - I fly almost every day, right out of our back yard, and the RV-3 is a single seat airplane!

I find it interesting how low the solo %s have been. In all truth I was expecting most of you to report that you flew alone 90% of the time.

I see a trend with the RV 10s also, seems to be higher rate of non solo flights.

Good thread, may help someone decide what to build someday.

alone?

If I'm in formation am I flying alone? :D

90% of the time at least. Thuy doesn't like flying but will go on a trip with me if she has a movie on the iPad and a couple of pre-departure shots :confused:

Which is why I'm starting to think about an -8, now that I've got the -6 just the way I want it :eek:

~90% local solo and probably only 2-3 flights where I didn't go inverted at least once. I bought the -4 in June so I only have about 35/hrs on her so far but I definitely prefer to fly it alone. I'm still in the honeymoon phase but I feel confident I picked the right plane for me at this point in my life!

I fly almost every day, right out of our back yard, and the RV-3 is a single seat airplane!

I'm going to hack this quote ...

I fly almost every week, right out of my front yard, and the RV-8 is a single seat airplane!

I've often thought I might as well remove the back seat ... I've flow a couple missions where it was imperative.

Aside from the phase 1 and the ?return to service? type test flights (after oil change or any tweaking) it is 98.5% with my wife or practicing with a friend for IFR. Also vast majority is cross country flight.

95%

Definitely. The only time I have someone with me is when I take the wife to see relatives about once a month - or less.

Less than 5% of my flying is solo. My wife and I fly together to go places. It's almost a distraction not to have her there.

...plus I still owe her for all that pre-cellphone glider crewing she did. For awhile, every flight was an adventure.

Last edited:
No more than 30% of my time is solo. If my wife or son isn't with me, someone from the airpark is.

probably about 50/50 for me. Kris goes with when we are actually going some where, but doesn't care about buzzing around locally. Whereas I need a flying fix occasionally.

Like today after work...to nice to not make a quick loop around the valley.
the lake was extra smooth, but too many birds for a low pass
IMG_20131009_173846_094_zps5708658f.jpg

snow is melting off Baldy, maybe I should have went hunting
IMG_20131009_173852_543_zps61820678.jpg

passed the Hogbacks on the way home...no elk showing today
IMG_20131009_175222_926_zps9eeb4faa.jpg

solo is ok somedays....Life is good

Back