What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for "local" (meaning Alexandria, Virginia) RV-4, 6/7 and 8.

RHS

I'm New Here
I'd love to see some RV 4s, 6/7, and 8s up close and personal before making a final decision on which will be best for me. I started out thinking I'd go with the RV 4 but the more I read the more I'm beginning to think that I may be too large for the 4 (I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs). A couple replies to my "will I fit" inquiry suggest I'd be better served in the 8. However, VAF threads re the 8 W&B say that its nose heavy when flying sole. The 6/7 might address the nose heavy problem but I'm not sure I want to be off centerline - I love flying aerobatics. So you see, I need help making a decision. Seeing the different models and talking with their owners will help inform my decision.

Oh I almost forgot, I live in Alexandria, Virginia. Any RV family members nearby?

Robert

I would suggest changing the title to include your area.

(I added clarification to the title. Thanks, Ron, for your suggestion. s/ rv7boy, one of the moderators)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 6'2" and 240 pounds, and I fit fine in my -4. I moved the roll bar back 2 inches, and removed the bottom inch of the instrument panel to make it easy to get in and out.

However, VAF threads re the 8 W&B say that its nose heavy when flying sole. The 6/7 might address the nose heavy problem but I'm not sure I want to be off centerline - I love flying aerobatics. So you see, I need help making a decision
The RV-8 W&B is pretty flexible according to how it is fitted out - it need not be "nose heavy solo", but will then be limited in rear seat/baggage loading, especially for aeros.

Do NB that the RV-6 and RV-4 can essentially / legally only fly aeros solo.

Re 7 v 8, yes, there is nil CG change dual to solo. However, baggage is rear only, whereas the 8 you can optimise between front and rear.

IMHO I would not choose between them for the "CG" aspect - thinking ahead as you have done it is manageable in (and post) build.

Robert:

I'm in Stafford and will be moving my RV-4 to Shannon in Fredericksburg next weekend (or maybe weekend after). If I had seen your note earlier I would have let you know that I was going to be at KRMN this morning. There are a ton of each type in the area. Suggest going to an EAA186 meeting at Manassas to meet owners.

PM me and we can work out a time to take a look....

Richard Bibb

If your primary mission is solo acro, then the RV-4 has the desireable feature of having the longitudinal (roll) axis pass right thru the center of your torso since you sit much lower down into the aircraft and rolling the plane feels great since your whole body rotates around that centerline. In the -8 you sit up much higher... feels kinda like riding on top of the saddle of a horse. Of course, the -4 is almost always past the aerobatic weight limit with two adults aboard so if you want to do acro two-up then the -8 is your only real choice. At 6'4" and 200lbs, you'll fit in an RV-4 with the seat moved back. Plenty of tall RV-4 pilots out there like it just fine.

Rolling the side-by-side RV-6 just feels too darn weird, so I rarely do it in mine.

I've got a fair amount of time in an RV-8 with a parallel valve IO-360 and Hartzell CS prop, and never thought it felt nose heavy solo. I've heard the nose-heavy RV-8 comments mostly from guys with the heavier angle-valve 200hp IO-360 with metal CS props which is some 30-40 lbs heavier on the nose than the parallel valve engine.

Last edited:
Stafford Wings & Wheels

Robert,

Come to the Stafford Wings and Wheels event on Oct 19 and you'll see almost all of the Vans lineup on the ramp. EAA 1099 is the Fredericksburg chapter and many members will be there with their planes.

Come out early -- 1099 will be cooking pancake breakfast before the show starts.

ww%20flyer%20001.jpg

Thank you for the invite; I'll plan to be attend. If you know someone who will be there with their RV 4, I'd appreciate it if you would inquire if they will let me strap in for just a minute to see how I fit.

Now to the real important business: what time does the pancake breakfast begin? And I hope that the coffee is good and strong....

Robert

My wife just reminded me that our anniversary on October 18th and we'll be in Delaware that weekend. Upon reflection, I think it best to stick with our anniversary plans, even if it means missing Wings and Wheels.

Still, thanks for the invitation.

Robert

Robert, I keep my -4 at GAI. I should be at the airport around noon on Saturday if you want to come by and try it on.

Pancakes!

Thank you for the invite; I'll plan to be attend. If you know someone who will be there with their RV 4, I'd appreciate it if you would inquire if they will let me strap in for just a minute to see how I fit.

Now to the real important business: what time does the pancake breakfast begin? And I hope that the coffee is good and strong....

Robert

We start serving at 8:00.

Back