What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Desktop CNC, imagine the possibilities

It's a cute looking device, but you'd end up with a FAR more capable machine if you bought a Taig or Sherline micromill and did a CNC conversion.

Im building my CNC. At first it was only going to be a small unit, then an RV friend said why not make it so that I could cut out RV panels, so thats what I did.
Its only half way built, but its a lot of fun. If you are going to build one yourself, do a lot of reading on CNC forums first before you start spending $$$ on parts that may not work well.

It's a cute looking device, but you'd end up with a FAR more capable machine if you bought a Taig or Sherline micromill and did a CNC conversion.

Agreed! I have the canopy latch handle mounted in my Taig ready to do the front radius this evening. I can't count the number of parts I have made for my 9A, and now for the 12s we are building. I built it (well, added the CNC parts) simply to learn the CNC process, but like the lathe I bought years ago, it is very useful with the planes. Fun, too!

Bob

Last edited:
Full size...

I have quite a few machine tools, and access to many more. If you really want a CNC machine, I suggest you go buy a used Bridgeport Series I CNC. You can get them for a song. I paid $1200 for one, and then gutted the electronics to retrofit new servos and drives. For less than the cost of many of these desktop units I have a full-blown CNC mill.

As the happy owner of a CNC machine that is FAR larger and FAR more robust than that one (mine's a Lumenlabs M3) but still a super lightweight as CNC machines go... that one looks like it would be OK for plastic or soft woods, and small parts. Maybe. If I were doing aluminum I'd want a lot more horsepower than mine has.

I have a couple of machines running Mach3. BP Series 1 CNC and a Lagun FTV-2S. Also have an Emcoturn 320 with the original Fanuc OT control.

Our machinist at work just set up the Sherline lath and mill. He used their stuff before and has been very satisfied. Set up for cnc, including computer and software from the factory.

Not much use in a RV-12. But would be way cool.

-Dave

Back