What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What do you do to pay for your flying addiction?

soon to be RV-10 builder

More than thirty great years as a corporate pilot, ex-Army aviator (Vietnam era), empty nester. Have had light airplane of one kind or another most of my adult life. J-4 Cub Coupe, Tri-Pacer, Benson Gyro Copter (shudder!!), Cardinal, and most recently J-35 Bonanza. Eagerly awaiting the arrival of RV-10 kit.
My wonderful wife and I head out to Synergy Air in Eugene, OR next month to have Wally show us how to get started on the empennage kit. Can't wait!

David Maib
Eagan, MN

Retired from New York City Police Department, August of 2002, doing fine building my 7A in upstate New York

Spent 12 years as an IBM Mainframe programmer / systems analyst in Dallas. After getting a bad case of burnout and a desire for more laid back setting, I moved to Graham, TX. I now help run the family owned Chevy / Dodge / Chrysler / Jeep dealership.

After 41 years with Texas Instruments doing everything from Quality/Reliability Assurance to process & product engineering, I now have the perfect job. I get to convert amateur-built and light-sport projects to real, licensed aircraft every day. And most of the time I even get paid for it. I get to do everything from "fat" ultralights to Lancair IVs, including powered parachutes, Cub replicas, weight shift control trikes, and even an RV every once in a while.
I have to take exception with Doug concerning the "perfect" wife. Ann is a pilot (since 1985), can lay out a rivet line, do all the prep work, and drive those rivets with the best of them. She put in 38 years with TI/Raytheon and can wire a panel like you have never seen.

I sell what everyone not only wants but must have...FOOD. I work for SYSCO Foodservice and sell to commercial foodservice such as hotels and restaurants and in the best territory anyone could have, downtown Washington, DC. Been doing this for the last 14 years. Everyone on this list has eaten food from my company somewhere in the USA or Canada. Orignally I attended culinary school and became a chef but after 10 years of nights, weekends, holidays and working when everyone else was having fun for little pay and coming home smelling like fish and onions, it became obvious a career change was needed. Now I still can't afford my RV project but it's getting built anyways.

Another Air Traffic Controller

first 20 years of my career spent as a bank manager/ mortgage broker... then took the plunge 5 years ago and became an ATCer.... I love it!!

My wonderful wife has a good job, and has given me permission to order the QB 8... tail almost done and the QB's coming for October....

woohoo!!

From tobacco farm to world traveler.

Spent my first 18 years raised on a tobacco farm.
Riding tractors and looking up at the skies as the planes flew by.
(thinking... one day, I'm going to be up there...)

Then, after school, I worked as an electrician apprentice while studying process control (PLCs). Soonafter, I got a job at a local lumber mill as a maintenance technician. Moved up to Supervisor, and then promoted to Reliability Leader for our East Region. That's my present title. East Region Reliability Leader and SAP Coordinator. (24 facilities from Texas - Maine)

During that time, I managed to slip in some air time and obtain my PPL.

For the last 10 years I've traveled approximately 3 weeks a month. Sometimes good, and sometimes bad.

Strangely enough, I always long to return to the farm. (where I live)
In fact, I built (1E6) a 2000' grass strip (soon to be 2500') and erected a 45 x 90' steel arch hanger as a family project a year ago.
(During it, my son said swapping the Hanger project for our annual DisneyWorld trip was NOT a good trade.. This year, he's changed his mind :) )

Recently the company I work for told us that our business group is being sold.
What can I say, I've had a great 20 years with them. Darn lucky, compared to most of my childhood tobacco croppers friends.

So, I've had a variety of jobs that helped pay some of the flying bills.
But then, I just had to fulfill my promise from the tobacco farm days.. the promise of looking skyward and saying.. "One day, I'm going to be up there".

(Someday I'll share the story of telling my father I wanted to disc up 5 acres of prime farming land to build a landing strip.. ;) )

Ande Elkins
Elkins Field (1E6)
Clarkton, NC.
(Call ahead for burgers and beer)

Paint and Body

Looks like I may be the only one on here in my line of high priced paint and body work. Actually I am a Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon. The similarities to flying as well as some aspects of building are remarkable----maybe why I tolerate glass work more than some others.

I do about 75-80% cosmetic stuff---the usual implants, lifts, nips, tucks, lipo, etc, and the rest a wide variety of trauma, birth defects, cancer, and who know's what walks in the door that keeps things interesting......It has been said that there is an epidemic of silicone, lipo, botox, etc in North Dallas---I AM doing my part to perpetuate it.

Been flying since 1983. Survived owning a Fouga, Be 18, Comp Air 8 and a variety of other flying paraphenalia. Honest fact is that bikes are still my first love----Maicos, CZ, Husky, Honda, Triumph----anything that has a motor, and knobby tires are always preferable!

Look for me somewhere south of Mexicali every November---the Baja 1000 is my OSH.

Doing my part to make Dallas a prettier place to live......

Firefighter

Ironflight said:
(I'm pleased to see all the police officers we have on this board - surprised we don't have more firefighters! I've been a volunteer fireman for 23 years...anyone else?)

Paul Dye

I am finally catching up on reading this thread. Very interesting to see all the different professions. Kinda makes me proud to be a part of this group. I posted in the past with my real profession of owning and operating a plumbing, electrical, and HVAC service business. I also, like Paul, am a volunteer firefighter. Have been at it for about 11 years now, no rush like a structure fire! (atleast until I finish and fly my 7) Has been a personally rewarding, but publicly thankless job and I love it.

Rich Wife

I'm surprised you guys haven't thought of that. Hey, they don't call me 'lucky' for nothing. Beautiful. Smart. Senior manager for a Fortune 10... Says sweet nothings like 'So when are you going to order that engine??'

Oh yeah. I've also spent the last 32 years developing software / hardware for embedded control systems, using everything from the i4004 to PIC DSP, the last 22 being self-employed as a consultant and free-lance engineer. Good clients and partners (Hi Ken!) A lot of it is fitting 5.3 pounds of you know what into a 5.0 pound box.... Oh well..

Nice to see the military and public service guys on the board. Many thanks to all of you. You know why.

For Paul Parashak and rodeomanny, my kid is on the yard too, class of '09, varsity swimmer. BEAT ARMY! (and they did, too.. BAD)

Seriously, what a great thing this is that brings such a skilled, intelligent, diverse group together to share in a common interest. Kudos to all.

John

PS She really does say things like that.. :D

Last edited:
Aircraft rescue firefighter / Artist

pa141512kb4.jpg

26 years as a Firefighter , City Fire and Ambulance and Aircraft Fire Rescue . Lots of long hours of boredom with hours mixed in here and there that you can never forget. Use my spare time to paint pictures (aviation subjects mostly) and to build airplanes.

RV 8 Fuselage

Me too

O.K. Paul, 37 years in fire service. NAUI diver since '73.

(I'm pleased to see all the police officers we have on this board - surprised we don't have more firefighters! I've been a volunteer fireman for 23 years...anyone else?)

Paul

Former audio tech, auto mech, contracter, machinest, truck driver. And of course 28.5 years full time fireman.

Mike Starkey

Last edited:
Paul's paintings

do you have a website where we can see some of your paintings Paul? I would be interested in seeing some....Which airport you at? YHZ?

Mike

Monkey with a scalpel

is as bad as a doctor behind a yoke...or worse, an RV builder!

I am a vascular surgeon.

Apparently, I like working with my hands.

Jon Weiswasser
N898JW, RV-8

Mathematician working for an agency within Canada's defense department (our counterpart in the U.S. is the NSA). Marrried, no kids yet (probably soon though). Was in the Canadian Army Reserve (combat engineer officer), but it was leaving me no time for my other hobbies - music, flying, and now RV building!

what do you do

Semper Fi to my fellow Marines

Retired 20 year Marine, CH53D and E driver, East Coast puke. Currently an A300 Captain that will lose his job in one week due to the infamous Age 60 Rule. :mad: Building an RV9A to continue my love of flying.

Ron Francis
SE Indiana
RV9A finishing kit

Living & Luving the dream

Retired Air Force, 21 years flying T-37s and B-1Bs. Now flying for commercial carrier that is based in Dallas, luvs peanuts and only flys Boeing 737s.

jonweisw said:
is as bad as a doctor behind a yoke...or worse, an RV builder!

I am a vascular surgeon.

Apparently, I like working with my hands.

Jon Weiswasser
N898JW, RV-8

If you leave a cleco inside a patient, is it bad?

Semi-retired Dentist

I learned to fly in Bloomington, IN in 1968 using the money I earned managing a swimming pool. My supportive white knuckled and wonderful wife allowed me to spend the money. It still keeps getting spent on flying. I had a government oriented dental career with time in the Army (Active duty and reserves with five DD-214?s over 37 years) and the Department of Veterans Affairs (26 years). I have now retired from both (Army reserves and VA) and the retired pay is OK but part time private practice pays the RV bills. My son-in-law is an AF pilot currently deployed in Iraq. He is looking forward to getting back and flying the RV. This is a terrific post as it is great to see the fantastic diversity.

what do you do

I've been flying for ten years now (time flys...no pun intended) I own a retail
/contractor building supply outlet, selling your typical - lumber, plywood, OSB,
insuation, hardware, eletrical etc. Benjamin Moore Paint dealer. Jack of ALL TRADES (and master of none). I'm a bit of tool junky. Wholesale junky that is :D Been doing this for over twenty-five years now. I folded up a desktop publishing company that I had run for ten years and found that very lucrative. I let it run it's course, so now I have time to build an airplane. By the way...my friend and relitives do the double take when I tell them that I'm building an airplane in my gara.....er airplane factory. :cool:
My dad was a WAG flying in PBY's (Canso's)CAF during WW2. Maybe that was my inspiration to fly.
So here's some insiration for all the fence sitters out there. I had planed on winding things down within the next five years and that's when I was going to start my build. I had a few close friends and family pass away recently and realized that we don't live for ever. So I decided now, now is the time to start and I'll be finished when there are no more pieces left over. Hey, I'm only fifty. :)

Last edited:
Hey Lorne, what's the name of your shop? I'll be keeping my 9A up in Oliver for a few weeks starting next week.

Vern Little

Vern

Hey Vern:
The name of my Buisiness is Southside Builders Mart. It's a TiM BR Mart store.
I'm about a half mille south of Oliver on Hyw 97. 18's glide path is just out my front door...watching every one coming and going. Drop by for coffee (it;s always on even with 100*f temps.
One other RV buider in Oliver , Ken Smith, in Oliver flying a yellow and white 7. just returned from Airventure. 10 1/2 hour flight time from OSH. Remarkable!

Hey Scud / Scott....

I know there are a ton of you guys over at Love (I fly out of there at least once per week for business), but by chance, do you know a fellow pilot by the name of David Robinson?

He graduated from my high school, bought a 152 during his senior year, built time, and eventually got all of his ratings. Last I heard he was flying for Herb.

I don't have a clue how to contact him these days, but if you ever run across him, tell him hello for me?

Take care,

WI State Capitol Police Officer

Well, thats what I do to make a living....also run a tree removal and lawn service business...and I'm a search and rescue diver, almost a divemaster, along with a former EMT.....pretty much anything to make a buck to get by....just ordering the tail on a -8......

Yet another software type ...

I'm a software architect (design software platforms that programmers implement) for Logitech (the mouse/keyboard/webcam/speaker/remote control/etc. company). I mostly do audio and video over the Internet type applications but get to dabble in some real-time 3D stuff as well.

txaviator said:
I know there are a ton of you guys over at Love (I fly out of there at least once per week for business), but by chance, do you know a fellow pilot by the name of David Robinson?

He graduated from my high school, bought a 152 during his senior year, built time, and eventually got all of his ratings. Last I heard he was flying for Herb.

I don't have a clue how to contact him these days, but if you ever run across him, tell him hello for me?

Take care,

Gary,
I don't know David, but I'll look him up on the employee list. P.S. I'm a Gary also (my first name)

lorne green said:
Hey Vern:
The name of my Buisiness is Southside Builders Mart. It's a TiM BR Mart store.
I'm about a half mille south of Oliver on Hyw 97. 18's glide path is just out my front door...watching every one coming and going. Drop by for coffee (it;s always on even with 100*f temps.
One other RV buider in Oliver , Ken Smith, in Oliver flying a yellow and white 7. just returned from Airventure. 10 1/2 hour flight time from OSH. Remarkable!

Thanks, Lorne. I've also met Ken.

BTW, to keep on topic:
I'm an electrical engineer with more than 25 years experience, 8 patents and I was a founder of a successful semiconductor company. I spent several years in marketing and business development where I worked with VC's extensively and bought or invested in other companies. The tech bust of 2000 has since humbled me.

I consider my most gratifying personal accomplisment to be building my 9A.

Combat Grandpa...

Well somehow after 24 years they still let grandpa (I have 2 granddaughters)go out and strap on an F16 a few times a month for God and country...(and me) woo hoo :) After a bunch of pond crossings, trips to the desert and numerous adventures in the viper, I can safely say flying my RV4 is still a hoot after 13 years, like a vacation every time I fly it. I have always tried to encourage my non-lightplane buddies about RV flying and 9 of them are converts.
Be thankful to exercise one of the last great freedoms we have here in the USA, I have seen the alternative...

Rob Ray

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

My office, day one Operation Iraqi Freedom Mar, 03'....

Last edited:
Accountant

Currently an accountant with the Department of Defense (Defense Finance & Accounting Service) in Indianapolis, Indiana. Twenty-seven years of service, and plan to retire in 2008, and begin building my RV.

Retired from the Naval Reserve in February 2005 with 8-years active duty, and 21-years reserve duty. Begin drawing my Navy pension in 2008.

Retired from Delco-Remy division of General Motors in October 1986 with 17-years of service (early retirement offer).

Paul Tuttle said:
10 years in Yellowknife NWT, the rest at Halifax Int'l

Web page http://acam.ednet.ns.ca/paulsart/paulsart.htm

I just would like in BIG LETTERS to get you all to go to the above web site and look at some of Pauls paintings. I have told him many times, he doesn't self promote enough. He is very talented and his paintings of airplanes are fantastic. He does paintings on consignment as well if any of you would like a fine rendering of your creation. Sorry Paul....had to blow your horn a bit.

Joe Hine
RV4 C-FYTQ
Fredericton, N.B.

rickmellor said:
I'm a software architect (design software platforms that programmers implement) for Logitech (the mouse/keyboard/webcam/speaker/remote control/etc. company). I mostly do audio and video over the Internet type applications but get to dabble in some real-time 3D stuff as well.
When are we going to get a FF yoke? I absolutely love my FF logitech racing wheel!

Like Father, Like Son

DGlaeser said:
I'm and Aerospace engineer by training. Spent the first 20 years working in the aerospace industry (Boeing Vertol - PHL, McDonnell Douglas - STL), first as a design engineer, then got into the CAD side of things - programming and defining how computers should be used to do things 'better' for engineers. Transitioned to EDS in '91 (buyout) and now I'm IT project manager working for GM in the DET area. Wife is a teacher. 3 kids - 2 out of college, one a Sophmore.

I got all my ratings (up through CFII) before I got married. I did a lot of instructing and even got into some charter flying when I was in STL. Haven't done much flying since I've been in DET, but that is about to change.

Dennis Glaeser
Rochester Hills, MI
7A Fuselage

I am kid #1 of 3. Mechanical Engineer, desguised as Instrumentation and Controls on the business card, working for an A&E firm. As you can guess I grew up in airplanes. Graduated college and treated myself to a private pilots license. Next I needed something to fly.

I take all the credit for introducing my Dad into the Van's Aircraft lineup. He wasn't looking at building a plane until he helped me build my elevators, VS, and rudder in ONE WEEKEND!! (long weekend, but still a weekend)

Now he keeps bugging me for tools. When I push back he mentions something about food, clothes, and shelter for 22 years. He may have a good arguement, but I prefer to hold off and deliver the remaining tools in person after I get airborne.

Joe Hine said:
I just would like in BIG LETTERS to get you all to go to the above web site and look at some of Pauls paintings. I have told him many times, he doesn't self promote enough. He is very talented and his paintings of airplanes are fantastic. He does paintings on consignment as well if any of you would like a fine rendering of your creation. Sorry Paul....had to blow your horn a bit.

Joe Hine
RV4 C-FYTQ
Fredericton, N.B.

Thanks Joe. That endorsement may cost me some yellow and blue paint :)

RV8 Fuselage

When I'm not working on my plane (I got a -3), I'm a maintanance mechanic/ fabricator/ electrician/ welder for a distillation plant in Lakeland Florida. Plus I also own rental property.
There just ain't enough hours in the day!

Mike

RV-3 flying N87LB :D
Ordering RV-4 tail feathers :D :D :D

When are we going to get a FF yoke? I absolutely love my FF logitech racing wheel!

It's funny ... I'm in the same division as the gaming guys (just one building over) but I have no idea what they're working on. I suspect a few things, though:
  • Most kids want joysticks for the fighter planes
  • There is reasonable cross-over between the steering wheels and yokes
  • There's just not much demand. That's why CH's yoke is kind of a niche item
All the same ... I'll start pestering our marketing guys to get a real answer. :cool:

I am a Civil Engineer for a municipality. I build houses on the side to pay for the toys! Currently flying a Rotorway 162f helicopter. I have a RV 8 under construction in my garage.

Tom Ellis
RV 8
New Lenox, IL

Firefighter

I'm a Lieutenant with the Saskatoon Fire Dept currently on a Rescue/DG truck company.......been with the fire service for 23 years.....prior to that I was/am a journeyman Millwright. After marriage,kids, found (made) the time to build an RV-4. Flew it to OSH last year....man was that a thrill....sort of like going into my first raging structure fire :D....scared s*****ss with the adrenaline rush afterwards like you would not believe. Glad to see other fire guys on the list......

philcam said:
Just curious what most people do here to pay for their addiction? (Flying)

I'll start, me I'm a Border Patrol Agent. Hey, it pays the bills.

Interesting thread. Attaches a little meaning to all the hidden faces contributing to the various subjects.

I am probably one of oldest coots lurking about, age 67. Grew up in Minnesota farm country and as friends know, have done 2 things in life, milk cows and fly airplanes.

Got very lucky at age 19 and was accepted into USAF pilot training as a cadet from the enlisted ranks. Managed to graduate in the middle of the class, never super outstanding but competent (hey, I'm still alive!). Flew F-86L's, KC-97's (awful airplane) and the trusty KC135. Did the usual thing in those days, got out ASAP (Viet Nam was a disaster everyone wanted to forget) and went with an airline, in my case TWA. Retired from that chaotic mess after 32 years of numerous ups and downs but no furloughs. Lots of good training though as TWA trained everyone on everything due to union contract stipulations. Sat through school and simulator on the CV880, Boeing 727,707,767, Lockheed 1011, and every version of the DC9 except the -20. Flew everyone of them - for a time - until another training session made itself available. No wonder the airline went out of business. Seniority rules, some of you may know what that means.

Experimental aviation entered my blood when Burt Rutan showed up at OSH in the 70's with VEZ. Wow, did he light a fire. Haven't been able to calm it since. I'm not a particularly great builder, but what I built, I have flown, a LEZ, Cozy MKV, and the RV-7A (twice after a wreck).

It's been fun. But airplanes can't talk. The real fun part of all this are the people doing it. That's the great part of going to OSH - running into old friends and meeting new ones - and listening to the real old coots talk at a forum, like Bob Hoover and Chuck Yeager. They won't be around forever and just seeing them is special. I've talked with Duane Cole and Ens. Gay in years past, they used to sit in one of the exibitor buildings selling books, those are special memories.

Anyway, enough of this BS. Sorry it's so long, but I've been breathing longer than most of you. :)

dd
Currently RV-7A N707DD
Subaru H6
About 240 hrs

philcam said:
Just curious what most people do here to pay for their addiction? (Flying)

I'll start, me I'm a Border Patrol Agent. Hey, it pays the bills.

Oh, forgot to answer the question - retirment money, social security, and PBGC check. Planning on being down to the last $ the last day, but that's a bit iffy at the rate it's going. :)

dd

Used car and commercial truck dealer. I've been at it most of my adult life, except for a few years as a trainee Piper salesman. Last 17 years have been here:

www.perryhillauto.com

Most of you will find some amusement on the "downloads" page. Current cheap flyer while I pour money into the latest project. Much bang for the buck <g>

Dan

USAF Flight Surgeon

15 Years as USAF Flight Surgeon,
Residency trained in Aerospace and Occupational Medicine.
Just under 1000 hours in F-15Es backseat (Started in F-111Fs) and a bunch of other AF aircraft.

RV-8 391FM just flew first flight in July, has 11.1 hours. Flight test has been interupted by a move from Mountain Home, Idaho to a new job on the Air Staff in Wash, DC. Have a hangar in Maryland, but need to finish fly-off in Idaho before I can bring the plane East.

3 years, 9 months from start of empennage to first flight, 6 month break in the middle for a summer vacation in Iraq.

Bruce "FM" Edwards
Waldorf, Maryland

No, The Harmon Rocket is the way to go...if you can't fly the F16. Somehow they let me fly both...:)

RR

Back