What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to dim specific avionics.

Captain Avgas

Well Known Member
I plan on night flying and I would appreciate feedback on how others are choosing to dim the following devices. Please feel free to comment even if you only have one of the devices.

AFS 5600 EFIS
AFS Autopilot Controller (TruTrak Digiflight)
Dynon D6 EFIS
Garmin Aera 796
Garmin GTX-327 Transponder
Garmin SL-40 Radio

I plan on night flying and I would appreciate feedback on how others are choosing to dim the following devices. Please feel free to comment even if you only have one of the devices.

AFS 5600 EFIS
AFS Autopilot Controller (TruTrak Digiflight) Auto Dim
Dynon D6 EFIS
Garmin Aera 796 The 696 has a dimmer function, very easy to use.
Garmin GTX-327 Transponder Auto Dim
Garmin SL-40 Radio Auto Dim
I can speak to a few which I marked above.

AFS 5600 EFIS
AFS Autopilot Controller (TruTrak Digiflight)
Dynon D6 EFIS
Garmin Aera 796
Garmin GTX-327 Transponder
Garmin SL-40 Radio

I have a very similiar config. I don't have a 796 or 5600, but I also have a Gemini PFD, GTN-650 and a pair of 4500s and a 3400.

Like Walt, I'm going with the auto dimming to start with. Most people that I've talked with have experienced any issues at night. I do have dimmers on map lights and my annuciator LEDs. I'm not flying yet, so I don't have any practical experience yet with my panel.

bob

I have a very similiar config. I don't have a 796 or 5600, but I also have a Gemini PFD, GTN-650 and a pair of 4500s and a 3400.

Like Walt, I'm going with the auto dimming to start with. Most people that I've talked with have experienced any issues at night. I do have dimmers on map lights and my annuciator LEDs. I'm not flying yet, so I don't have any practical experience yet with my panel.

bob

Try using a cheap piece of coloured (dark) perspex and fix over screen with velcro straps. Works very well and cheap:eek::eek:

Back