What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TMXO360 Oil Filler Neck Clearance

drill_and_buck

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a TMXO360 and there is very little clearance between the top of the oil filler neck and the engine mount. This needs to be fixed.

I don't expect that this is the first RV-8/TMXO360 to encounter that problem. Is there a longer/shorter neck option that will address this problem?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

DSC00474.JPG

You're right Mike - you're not alone! Mine has been extremely close since it was new (1100 hours ago), and in fact it was touching initially. What i did was to carve some of the plastic off the tube where it was closest to the engine mount tube (it's plastic, and there is a lot extra at that point - and mine wasn't pretty red like yours!) and then wrap some anti-chafe rubber on the mount. I check it every year, and it has never worn the powdercoat on the mount.

Paul

There should be very little relative motion there between the engine and the mount since you are very close to the mounting point. There is a lot more motion of the engine relative to the cowl as you get away from the engine mount like at the prop flange or the air box. Mine (IO360B2B) is similar and has no sign of ever hitting in 350+ hours.

Mike,

Mine was the same way, you can get more clearance by removing it and taking the two pieces apart and swapping the top to the bottom then re-installing it. This will give you more clearance.

Thanks everyone for their recommendations.

I also received this one via email

"..If you warm the bottom of the filler neck with a heat gun or similar device and gently move the filler neck away from the mount and then hold the filler neck in position after removing the heat source it will take a new set with adequate clearance. I normally use the width of my index finger as a good amount of clearance to strive for.."

Dave, I am going to try your method tonight.

"..If you warm the bottom of the filler neck with a heat gun or similar device and gently move the filler neck away from the mount and then hold the filler neck in position after removing the heat source it will take a new set with adequate clearance. I normally use the width of my index finger as a good amount of clearance to strive for..".

This is what I and at least one other local builder did. Mine has ~150 hours, the other has ~650 hours.

Guy

I had the same problem too.

But an A&P on the airport that has a extensive engine experience said, "Dude, the two parts have the same threads. Just take them apart, get some new gaskets and reassemble them with the short one on the bottom."

Worked perfectly and seems like the correct fix to me. Didn't like the idea of bending or shaving on a part that, if broken, could allow some of the life blood to escape from the thing that makes my wind mill turn!:D

Back