What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Rotisserie

RV8R999

Well Known Member
Anyone looking to sell a fuselage rotisserie? I'm getting close to riveting the fuselage together and understand this will make things much, much easier?

Thanks!

Ken

Having done it both ways, I simply cannot overstate how much easier a rotisserrie makes working on the fuselage. Oftentimes, you can work sitting on a stool next to the cockpit. Among other things, that made wiring my fuselage very easy.

I made the rotisserie by buying a cheap JC Whitney (or was it Harbor Freight?) automotive engine mount...actually at the time I bought 2 TWO mounts because I thought I needed one to support the aft fuselage. WRONG. Actually a padded sawhorse worked just fine and I could still rotate the fuselage by myself just making sure I did not risk "walking" the fuselage off of it! I modified the engine mount by bolting (I'm not a welder) Home Depot angle iron I sized long enough to reach 4 points on the firewall. I gave the unused and unmodified engine mount to a local Zenith builder and as far as I know the rotisserrie I used on my -8 is now supporting an RV-7A project.

Make and use a rotiserrie. There is no question it will improve your mood dramatically.

t83hjq.jpg

I agree 100% with Rick. The rotisserie is the way to go. I used scrap lumber to mount the fuse to the engine stand. Not sure if your building a TW, but I used a piece of gas pipe as a temporary rear spring and clamped it in a sawhorse. I added some castoring wheels to the sawhorse base and could move the fuse around easily.

Rotisserie

On my first project, I made this rotisserie.

It was cheap to make, but took some time. The attachements to the fuse are not shown, but I made those out of wood as well.

http://www.vx-aviation.com/rv-9a/photos/Tools/pivot_stand.pdf

It originally was designed as a cradle for an engine crate to allow inversion of an engine that was pickled. Sold engine, redesigned for fuse rotisserie.

Vern

Fuselage rotisserie

So, you guys drilled the engine mount bolt holes in the firewall. Is there any other good way to attach the firewall besides drilling those? I'm almost ready for a rotisserie, but haven't drilled the engine mount holes yet. I was thinking just clamp some 2X4s on the firewall and attach the Harbor Freight thing to it.

yeah I was wondering the same thing....not having the engine mount in hand yet wasn't too keen on drilling those holes?????

Ken, anytime you need a hand feel free to let me know!

I'm in Jax as well, I work at VP-16 at NAS.. If I'm not flying I'm available to help you out

gimme a call and I'll happily come help out!!

Ian, (832) 860-3239

Thanks Lightening, I will indeed. I'm XO of HSM-70 right down the road. How far along are you in your -8?

Spank

Refer to a Drill Index Chart

So, you guys drilled the engine mount bolt holes in the firewall......
yeah I was wondering the same thing....not having the engine mount in hand yet wasn't too keen on drilling those holes?????

This is one of the many, many situations that becoming familiar with a drill index chart can provide illuminating and useful information to any builder. Widely available and free from multiple sources, I suggest taping a drill index chart to a convenient workshop wall. Learn to refer to it often:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=11008&highlight=Drill+Index+Chart

Example:

I attached that part of the rotisserie assembly to the firewall by drilling the four corner holes to accept AN3 bolts (.1875 = 3/16"). Since those holes are eventually drilled to accomodate AN6 bolts (.375 = 3/8") through the engine mount, it becomes obvious that plenty of material remains to drill to full size later.

5tyq39.jpg

Drilling these engine mount holes w/o the mount

Rick, I appreciate your input on this thread. I am making the same kind of rotisserie for my RV-7A. I am almost ready to drill the holes through the firewall and I do not have an engine mount. So a couple quick questions. I plan to drill them #12 for AN3 at this point and will enlarge later.

Is there any angle thru the firewall that is important to the mount? Or can I drill them straight thru, perpendicular to the stainless firewall, for now?

And also, do you drill them thru the existing holes in the stainless firewall that Van's put there? Is this the right location?

And so later when I drill the "real" engine mount holes the location, size and angle will all get fixed if I drill a straight thru hole now with a #12 size bit centered on the existing holes on the stainless firewall?

much appreciated.

Rick, I appreciate your input on this thread. I am making the same kind of rotisserie for my RV-7A. I am almost ready to drill the holes through the firewall and I do not have an engine mount. So a couple quick questions. I plan to drill them #12 for AN3 at this point and will enlarge later.

Is there any angle thru the firewall that is important to the mount? Or can I drill them straight thru, perpendicular to the stainless firewall, for now?

The holes will be perpendicular to the stainless firewall.

And also, do you drill them thru the existing holes in the stainless firewall that Van's put there? Is this the right location?

When I drilled my engine mount, the holes in the stainless firewall were offset somewhat from the center of the engine mount holes. They were close enough that opening up the holes to full size completely drilled out the "starter holes" in the firewall. So short answer is yes, use the starter holes in the firewall.

And so later when I drill the "real" engine mount holes the location, size and angle will all get fixed if I drill a straight thru hole now with a #12 size bit centered on the existing holes on the stainless firewall?

much appreciated.

As above.

Steve,

I am not familiar with the -7 series design so before drilling any holes it is best to consult with Van's or another builder who definitely knows for sure.

On my -8, the firewall already came with predrilled holes that matched the engine mount and I merely drilled them up to 3/16" to accept AN3 bolts for the rotisserie.

I can only speak to the -8. Those engine mount locations tie into steel gussets tied into the longerons and side skins and I would not drill those engine mount locations until those steel gussets are permanently attached with bolts and rivets.

mj8zh2.jpg

Last edited:
Back