What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fla. airport with beach access?

RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Anyone know of a Florida panhandle, GA friendly airport with beach access (i.e. walking distance)? I was thinking of St. George Island in Apalachicola. Is this a good place to go if all your interested in is going for a swim and playing on the beach? Do you know of others?

Thanks,
Jerry N84JE

North Captiva Island

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v...dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

northcaptivarunway.jpg

Janie and I lived in Tampa for around 9 years and used to fly down to the Venice, Fl airport (SW coast). It is a short walk to the beach and had (this was several years back) a great little restaurant right on the pier. The restaurant was "Sharky's" and they served a really good grouper sandwich.

A somewhat unique feature of this beach is that it is dark/almost black sand. You will see people digging sand and screening it with a device they call a "Florida Snow Shovel". The device allows you to scoop and screen sand while searching for fossilized shark's teeth--which are shiney black. I have a small bottle full of them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

db

Destin

The airport at Destin is across the street from the beach. Watch out for the Air Force - they're EVERYWHERE!

.....are there any restaurants within walking distance?

Thanks again,

Click the google link to see some restaurants next to the runway.
I have not flown to the airport, and I have not eaten at any of the restaurants.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...363,-82.220263&spn=0.013622,0.018861&t=h&z=16

restaurant
Over the Waterfront
transparent.png

4470 Escondido Ln, Captiva, FL‎ - (239) 472-2387‎
Category: Restaurant Waterfront

Website‎ - Directions

Barnacle Phils
transparent.png

4201 Point House Trl, Captiva, FL‎ - (239) 472-1200‎
Category: Fast Food Restaurant

Directions

Over the Waterfront Restaurant
transparent.png

A truly OVER the WATER restaurant with fine dining for lunch and dinner. Membership required. ...
1 of 15 placemarks in North Captiva Island - Windswept - By Windswept‎ - maps.google.com

Website‎ - Directions

The Boathouse Restaurant
transparent.png

Fine island dining at the Boathouse Restaurant. Fabulous menu with lots of variety. prime steaks, elegant and tasty seafood dishes, gourmet desserts and coffee. ...
1 of 15 placemarks in North Captiva Island - Windswept - By Windswept‎ - maps.google.com

Website‎ - Directions

Avoid St. George!!

If you land at St. George you will be met by guards with an attitude. Ask how I know. :) Turns out it is a restricted access, gated community, and they don't appreciate visitors. It is designated as a public airport because our tax dollars were spent to build the runway, but the guard explained to me that if I stepped a foot (or wheel) off the runway surface I would be charged with tresspassing. :( This incident was in 1999.

I've had good luck with Dog Island - no restaurants, heck, hardly any people, but a beautiful beach. It has been hit by a couple of hurricanes since I last visited, so you should confirm runway conditions.

Last edited:
Cedar Key, (CDK) not great beach, but the FBO is the local taxi driver, and she'll take you into town for some great restaurants.

St George Island has changed a bit, and it is open to the public. They have you put a landing fee in an envelope and call security to let then know you are there.

But

there is nothing there, not even an airport office, no cars etc.

Fishing anyone?

I'm good friends with a couple of charter captains that fish Boca Grande pass during the tarpon run (May-June, just north of Captiva). If you need to get your a** handed to you by a giant fish, let me know and I'l put you in touch with them. They could pick you up on the beach.

Forrest

beach

try XFL (Flagler County) mid way between Daytona and St Augustine aprox 3 miles to the beach ,rental cars on the field.

Destin

Somebody mentioned Destin. I was down there last summer and the air space IS complex, with lots of military planes and bases. However, the airport is walking distance to great beaches and lodging/accomodations, airport has rental cars.

Check out the FAA FAAST/WINGS course recently produced to aid those going to SnF who might be flying through, or stopping in, Destin:

http://faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_catalog.aspx
(look for the course on Destin airspace, must register)

Also, the Miracle Strip flight school was great for me to work with - rented a plane for beach flying while there, went up with the instructor to handle the ATC comms:

http://www.miraclestripaviation.com/

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the tips. It's good to know the folks at St George aren't all that friendly. Too bad. I had forgotten all about N. Captiva. That's probably where I'll go. On the chart it didn't look like the Destin airport was within walking distance to the beach. I may give that a try too.

Thanks,
Jerry

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the tips. It's good to know the folks at St George aren't all that friendly. Too bad. I had forgotten all about N. Captiva. That's probably where I'll go. On the chart it didn't look like the Destin airport was within walking distance to the beach. I may give that a try too.

Thanks,
Jerry

Destin is not reasonable walking distance from the beach. I go there for vacation each year.

It's a great place for a day or weekend visit. Absolutely stellar restaurants. Best bet is a cheap car rental for the day. Also the beaches are clean, white sands, and clear water.

I recommend arriving on an IFR flight plan and then departing VFR.

RV8Squaz,
If you go to North Captiva, how about giving us a trip report? The runway looks a bit sandy and soft for an RV. But it does look like it would make a fun day trip. Plus it looks like the only way to that island is by boat or plane.

I can recommend what the other posters said about Cedar Key (CDK), that is a nice place, just no beach to speak of.

The Venice Municipal Airport VNC is right on the Gulf of Mexico, never been there, but it is on the list of places I want to go.

Just about every airport in Florida is only a few minutes drive from a beach somewhere, unless you are in Orlando.

Destin is not reasonable walking distance from the beach. I go there for vacation each year.

It's a great place for a day or weekend visit. Absolutely stellar restaurants. Best bet is a cheap car rental for the day. Also the beaches are clean, white sands, and clear water.

I recommend arriving on an IFR flight plan and then departing VFR.

lol - we must be in better shape than you are.

My wife and I, both about 50, love going to Destin. The walk to the beach is a tad over 1 mile which, wearing sandals and carrying a towel, is a nice stroll. Just take a left out of the airport entrance, go to the end and turn left again until you get to the nice restaurant/bar on the beach.

After dinner, a nice stroll to the airport to let the food settle in and then strap in for a sunset flight home.

They have one of the nicest beaches in Florida.

Cheers,

Bill

lol - we must be in better shape than you are.

My wife and I, both about 50, love going to Destin. The walk to the beach is a tad over 1 mile which, wearing sandals and carrying a towel, is a nice stroll. Just take a left out of the airport entrance, go to the end and turn left again until you get to the nice restaurant/bar on the beach.

After dinner, a nice stroll to the airport to let the food settle in and then strap in for a sunset flight home.

They have one of the nicest beaches in Florida.

Cheers,

Bill

Your wife packs lighter than mine to go to the beach!!!!

Also - Cedar Key is a great day trip.. Call the taxi on unicom on the way in. She'll pick you up.

Destin is still my favorite. I still recommend the car for the day. Best restaurants were too far to walk. Marina Cafe, Destin Chops, and Beach Walk. Harbour Docks great for lunch.

Your wife packs lighter than mine to go to the beach!!!!

Also - Cedar Key is a great day trip.. Call the taxi on unicom on the way in. She'll pick you up.

Destin is still my favorite. I still recommend the car for the day. Best restaurants were too far to walk. Marina Cafe, Destin Chops, and Beach Walk. Harbour Docks great for lunch.

Almost forgot that - they used to have an insanely cheap "day rental" for cars, like $10 for the afternoon. Don't know what they charge now, but the service was always first class.

Destin for a week

We are going to Destin for a week April 10-17th. Any thoughts where to keep a RV 6 any hangers for rent.

Back