What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Pod

David Shelton

Well Known Member
Hi everyone,

We announced yesterday that we're starting production of our motorcycle pods for the RV-10. These composite belly-pods are designed to carry a street-legal motorcycle so you can hit the roads anywhere you land. The motorcycle allows you to utilize more airports, reach any destination and have fun getting there.

Please check out the new demo video on our website (www.MotorcyclePilot.com) and let me know what you think. Also, we're planning to visit Sun'n Fun and we look forward to meeting some of you on the flight line.

Sincerely,

David Shelton
MotoPOD LLC

IMG_4657S.jpg
IMG_4742s.jpg
IMG_4622S.jpg
IMG_3799S.jpg

[ed. Welcome David! dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 5 horse Johnson that would make that think skip across a lake. Does it double as a fishin boat? :D

FAQ

Several people have E-mailed me with questions. I?d like to post the answers to FAQs here:

1) What kind of motorcycle?
The bike in the video is a modified Yamaha XT-225. A 250cc version will soon be available. It has a reliable 4-stroke engine with 6-speed transmission and electric start. It carries two adults, reaches 85mph and does fine on short highway trips. It has been modified with shorter suspension, smaller 16-inch wheels, folding handlebars and pegs, carbon-fiber body, removable front-axle and ?no-spill? plumbing.

2) Doesn?t the gas and oil leak?
The carb, fuel tank and crank-case have been re-vented to prevent leaks. Anything that makes it past the vents is captured in a catch-can (model airplane fuel tank). Should a spill actually occur in flight, the belly of the pod has drain holes to evacuate the spill.

3) How long does it take to get the motorcycle out?
It takes as little as 3 minutes to remove the motorcycle and prepare it for riding. No heavy lifting is required. No tools are required to unfold the handlebars or attach the front wheel.

4) How much does it weigh?
The pod weighs about 50 pounds empty and it?s designed for a payload of 250 pounds. Our 225cc motorcycle weighs 220 pounds dry.

Here is our recipe for a cross-country adventure: two adults (360 lb) + motorcycle and pod (270 lb) + full fuel (360 lb) + luggage (100 lb) = 1,090 pounds.

5) Can I carry skis in the pod?
The pod measures 36? x 65? x 13? between the bulkheads and longer items can extend past the low-cut bulkheads. You can carry skis, bicycles, or camping gear. Even 8ft 2x4?s, ladders and surf boards fit.

Pod Questions: Very Interesting

Could you link to some higher resolution photos. I took the thumbnails and blew them up and couldn't see anything.

Very novel and interesting idea.

S S Anderson
Lafayette, La.

Back