What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help! Advanced Flight Systems trouble

larrys

Well Known Member
Help! Panel GPS Questions

We are building an RV14A and it is ready to go, signed off by the FAA, ready to test fly and we can't get the 2 - AFS 5000 series panels, ACM (red block with internal breaker), Avidine, single ADAHAR, and 2 GPS to work together.

The GPS #2 is only reading through the passenger panel and the left seat will not register a GPS, but the avidine reads the GPS #1 just fine

Hopefully the brain trust would have some steps to troubleshoot the system
Thanks, Larry

Last edited:
No sweat, probably setup/configuration

Larry: Sounds like it is a minor matter that you can correct with all units running under power, once in configuration mode. AFS built a perfect panel (5600, ACM, Avidyne 540) for me and, when I encountered an apparent glitch at install, Rob was able to provide a one call solution.

Unfortunately, its Friday, so you might have to wait till Monday if Rob doesn't see your post. In the meantime, you could be sure you followed (double check) the first time start up sequences provided in the AFS materials, most likely the one for the EFIS units not the ACM.

Sorry that I cannot help you myself, but I have a single EFIS panel. In any event, don't stress. The AFS equipment is solid as a rock and the tech support unmatched. They will fix you up.

Congratulations!!!

We are building an RV14A and it is ready to go, signed off by the FAA, ready to test fly

Larry

Larry---big congrats on getting this accomplished :D:D

Try calling AFS------Rob has taken care of a buddy on a Sat morning before.

Same Panel

Hi Larry,

It looks like you have almost the same panel as I do. I second the other replies. Rob and the team at AFS are top notch. There is also a pretty good discussion forum under support on the AFS web site.

One thing I recall having to do was the scan for network devices under calibration menu to make sure everything was connected and talking to each other. Regarding the ADAHAR it sounds like some communication error. I had some issues with mine only to find out that I had a wiring issue in the wing (owner builder induced). After figuring that out, it would calibrate correctly. Not saying that is your issue - just something to check out.

Like others have said, Rob & team can help sort it out.

I had a similarly hard time with compass calibration of the SV-ADAHRS on my 5400. Thirty seconds on the phone with Rob and he pointed out that my canopy had to be closed.

Point being…call Rob, Shawn, or Jonathon.

We are building an RV14A and it is ready to go, signed off by the FAA, ready to test fly and we can't get the 2 - AFS 5000 series panels, ACM (red block with internal breaker), Avidine, single ADAHAR, and 2 GPS to work together.

The GPS #2 is only reading through the passenger panel and the left seat will not register a GPS, but the avidine reads the GPS #1 just fine

Second we have tried 3 times now to work through the ADAHAR magnetometer calibration but you check north and the next step is not available from the instructions. And "mag cal" is grayed out. We have tried many times now.

We even paid to have Advanced Flight Systems "build, pre-assemble and test" the panel

Frustrated as ****

Hopefully the brain trust would have some steps to troubleshoot the system
Thanks, Larry

I believe most of the RV world have my email and I normally answer it 7 days a week.

1. Make sure the EFIS screens are in the correct location and you did not swap the PFD and MFD. The CHECK > ABOUT page should show IP Address: 192.168.0.175 on the pilots side and 176 on the co pilot side.

1. The EFIS screens will not do a mag align unless you have a valid gps lock on both screens. Mag cal must be done on the pilot PFD EFIS.

2. Make sure you have the Ethernet cable connected to both EFIS screens.

3. GPS2 (Dynon 250) is wired on a serial port to the copilot EFIS and data is then sent to the PFD on Ethernet.

4. When you press CDI on the PFD and select GNAV1 you should be using the Avidyne. When power is first applied to the Avidyne you get a warning screen, this is the test page and you should get a half left CDI, glide slope and waypoint of Avidyne on both EFIS screens.

5. When you press CHECK > ABOUT and select the NAVSRC tab and GPS2 on the copilot screen you should get a satellite page on the EFIS that should display the data from the Dynon GPS250.

Email me your phone number and a time when you will be at the plane so I can call you.

[email protected]

Fixed!

It only took Advanced Flight Systems Minutes to figure out the configuration was a port issue. And it needed a couple adjustments.
"Clear Prop" !
Thanks, Advanced Flight Systems

AFS once again Rocks

And that right there is why I love my AFS gear- in less than 24 hours Larry has an answer to fix the issue. Customer support should be a consideration when you pay big bucks for new Avionics. Sure Garmin & Dynon make good Avionics but are not in the same league for customer support. I know Walt Aronow only does Garmin panels and I’ve flown one of the RV-8s he’s done and it’s a great setup.

But for those still deciding on Avionics, Advanced Flight Systems should be in the running.

Last edited:
There is a very natural tendency to cheerlead for your own team after dropping scores of AMU's on your chosen avionics suite, and I am not immune. This certainly affirms, to me, the wisdom of my decision to go with AFS gear. The customer service is top-notch.

The sole advantage I see to Garmin is the widespread support it enjoys in flight sims and flight schools. I am about to find out what kinks await as I seek instrument training in my AFS/Avidyne-equipped plane, but at the end of the day I expect it all to be worthwhile. Along the way the Garmin-equipped experimental fliers probably enjoy a home-field advantage in terms of instructor and examiner comfort with the avionics.

AFS

And that is another reason why AFS is top-notch. The service you receive. It’s what they do.

So appreciate the folks at Advanced Flight Systems!

Just so folks know, Rob at Advanced Flight Systems even gave us his personal cell to resolve our issue (on a Sunday!).
Rob, we can't thank you enough for walking Jeff through our panel malady, and bringing it all up to speed! Advanced customer service is worth every penny!
Now it's on to the test flight!

Back