Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2021, 11:07 AM

Default Audio Database Update

We amended the post above to address some of the audio database problems we have seen during this update process.

Software version 8.91 included an updated audio database to support Smart Glide, which has failed to extract properly on a few update cycles.

Once this software update has been completed, please enter G3X Touch configuration mode, open the Sound menu, and test that all alert and message tones can be heard by pressing Test. If any abnormalities exist, contact Garmin Experimental support at 1-866-854-8433. For the time being we will backload the system to software version 8.81 to correct the problem, with a permanent solution to follow.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:35 PM

Steve, I did not know that trick to switch back to External flight plan.

Thanks
Jacksonville, FL
Old 09-29-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_A View Post
Steve, I did not know that trick to switch back to External flight plan.
Rick,
My preferred method of switching from internal to external flight plan with the G3X touch is to touch the HSI. That pulls up the PFD option page and flight plan source is the top left button. Only two touches to change.
RV Pedal Plane in phase 1
RV-12iS - 5/6 kits shipped
RV 48 States in 7 Days
VAF on Annual Autopay
Old 09-29-2021, 07:19 PM

I, like many people I guess, really wish there was a G3X Touch computer simulator.
It is such a powerful system and I use a tiny fraction of its potential.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom023 View Post
I just did the 8.91 update and updated my GTN-625 to v. 6.72. In attempting to set the approach transition setting in the GTN per the OP instructions:

“Multiple Armed Flight Director Modes - This software update allows the APPR and VNAV flight director modes to be armed simultaneously. This will allow the pilot to arm APPR mode earlier in the flight than possible in past software versions. The "Transition to Approach" configuration setting should be enabled on the GTN Navigator alongside this GDU software update. This setting can be found in GTN configuration mode, under GTN Setup > Navigation Features > Vertical Navigation.”

I discovered I no longer have “Navigation Features” as a choice in GTN Setup. I’ve been through everything and cannot locate it. It was there previously. Anybody else have this issue?
I just did a SW update for a customer with a 625 and noticed the same thing, will send G3X guys an email to ask about this.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags, MTV-9 prop
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 10-03-2021, 09:15 AM

Walt,

I solved it and sent you an email. The update pushes the Navigation Features down to a third page leaving room for two more buttons on page two. This lead me to think it was missing and didn’t see the scroll bar now had room at the bottom. So scroll down again and it’s there. Not sure why it’s not on page two.
RV14A #140083
Flying! 8/12/19
2022 Donation
Old 10-05-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
We amended the post above to address some of the audio database problems we have seen during this update process.

Software version 8.91 included an updated audio database to support Smart Glide, which has failed to extract properly on a few update cycles.
Thanks I lost all my sounds on the G3X Touch, Garmin emailed me a link to 8.81 will downgrade later this week.

Separately I also started receiving a yellow CAS "ENGINE ECU" (Rotax 912is), but I am not seeing any engine related alerts on the plane built-in CAS lights. Any idea what triggers this CAS?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7cc182ab-4aae-44b3-8c54-d699f0abf1f4.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	16764  
Old 10-05-2021, 11:54 AM

Default Engine ECU CAS Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusadolfsson View Post
Thanks I lost all my sounds on the G3X Touch, Garmin emailed me a link to 8.81 will downgrade later this week.

Separately I also started receiving a yellow CAS "ENGINE ECU" (Rotax 912is), but I am not seeing any engine related alerts on the plane built-in CAS lights. Any idea what triggers this CAS?
The ENGINE ECU CAS message is alerting you to an issue with your FADEC datastream. It would be a good idea to power the system on in configuration mode, and check the System Information screen for any faults that may be present. This message was just introduced in this software update, and will be reflected in the new revision of the installation manual.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:47 PM

Default 9A Sink Rate

Im trying to set up my Smart Glide and dont know what to enter for sink rate. Im in a FP 9A and have all my speeds but dont have a sink rate. I can calibrate it on next flight but wanted to put a number in to see how close it is. What rate are you using? I understand every plane is different but probably not significantly enough for a starting point.

Thanks
Flying N376E
Old 10-09-2021, 05:28 AM

Default ‘Audio’ button on top button bar cant be disabled/minimized?

Hi There,

Notice since upgrading to Software 8.91 on a GDU460 that I had an extra “Audio” button appeared on the top tool bar, when touched it opens up the audio/intercom page. I don't have an audio panel (Just a single GTR200 COM radio) so having the audio button just takes up space I would like to use for the data bar (Displays one less now the audio button is taking up space) The manuals show in the display options that you enable/disable this button, however it looks like software 8.91 has removed that option from the menus. Interestingly the button only appears when the GTR200 is turned ON, switch it off and the button goes away. I think 8.91 also updated the software in the GTR200B as well.

On a positive note my aural alerts still work after installing 8.91 although the quality of the audio during the alerts seems far less as others have highlighted.

Screen shot of the extra ‘audio’ button circled in Yellow:
Click image for larger version

Name:	8AA4DE77-E279-49F9-9A1D-FD9B75B4A270.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	16906

Regards and thanks!

******* For the record 8.9.2 recently released has fixed this, now the ‘Audio’ button can be hidden again allowing more space for the data fields to be displayed**********

Last edited by BoyRacer : 11-18-2021 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Update that 8.9.2 has fixed the issue.