What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New GPS data card

jpowell13

Well Known Member
I bought a 2nd data card from Jeppesen for my GPS 400W. I wanted to have two cards in order to have a backup in case of an in-flight data card failure. I plan to alternate the new card and old card at update time.

My problem is that the new card would not update. Garmin support could was not able to solve my problem. Jeppesen sent me another card. But, same problem occurred. The old card updates, but the new ones will not. All three cards were labeled IFRW.

Any ideas? John

Same card part numbers?

Are all the cards the same part number? If not, they might be Jeppesen specific, which I believe takes the Jeppesen version of the programmer instead of the Garmin one. See this FAQ from Garmin.

Also, there was an update to the flyGarmin app recently, so make sure you have the latest installed.

There has also been an issue with the update permanently, irrecoverably trashing cards, that Garmin insists is a bad card or you have to “take it to a dealer” cause their software can’t format or repair the card after their software trashes it.

Thanks. That may be the problem. Flygarmin did not recognize the card. I updated the app and the update started but failed to complete. Afterward, the app does not recognize the card. John

Last edited:
Resolved

Just wanted to give kudos to Alex at Garmin experimental support. He updated my flygarmin app for me and installed the latest data update on my old data card. My new data card was corrupted so he is sending me a new card with the current update on it at no charge. His instructions were to plug the new card into my GPS unit before trying to install another update on the new card.

You just can't beat that kind of service. Thanks to Alex at Garmin support.

John

Back