What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TRUTRAK to G3X

jpowell13

Well Known Member
I've nursed my TRUTRAK EFIS/autopilot along for seven years in my 6A. I still like it, but the screen keeps going out due to a ribbon cable connector problem. The 7" G3X would fit my space, and I'm already using Garmin 400W, pitot and magnetometer.

I'd include the Garmin engine module and servos in the installation and plan to purchase components and wiring harnesses from Steinair. Has anyone done a similar upgrade? Will I have to change out all my engine/fuel senders and servo mounting hardware? What problems did you encounter? John

Last edited:
I had a Trutrak ADI Pilot II, and then did a complete new G3XT panel with the GSA28 servos and GMC507 autopilot control panel. The old Trutrak servo mounts worked just fine, the GSA28s dropped right in (I might have needed an extra washer somewhere for component clearance, don’t recall for sure). Engine senders should be reusable, as were my original vans fuel level float senders. The G3X has lots of options for configuring these, and Stein and his team know this stuff inside and out - excellent support.

Just got my instrument rating last month, my CFII liked the plane and the panel too. And the Garmin autopilot is very capable. I recommend getting the GMC507 control panel if you have room for it (doesn’t need much), it’s a lot easier to use imho than having to use the G3X soft keys.

Thanks for the pirep. Really good to know that my servo mounts and some or all of the senders can be used. Guess it's time to call Stein.

I have a Trutrak Gemini PFD n the panel. I was considering changing it out with a Trutrak Xcruze autopilot which is supposed to work with the G3X. Jobn

Last edited:
Back