What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Install Problem

Freightdawg

Well Known Member
Today we attempted to install the wings (well, the left wing) for the first time. I was worried about the spar fitting between the Center-Section Bulkheads, but it slid right in.

But before the holes in the spar and bulkheads aligned, the bottom corner of the tank attach bracket (T-1005-L) contacted the fuselage.

Anyone else run into this problem?

I called the mother ship after we got home from the hangar, and the suggestion I got was trying to sweep the wing sightly aft. We'll give a try tomorrow,

We did the beveling. That was my first thought when the spar wouldn't slide in far enough--that we hadn't beveled enough.

But--alas--the interference is from the tank attach bracket. Have the scratch in the fuse skin as a memento.

The solution

The short answer is the wings have more of a dihedral than I realized. Once we had the wingtips high enough, there was no more interference between the tank attach bracket and the fuse.

Both wings are now on (albeit temporarily), and the holes in the rear spars for the AN6 bolts have been drilled.

Tasty adult beverage in celebration of this milestone feels/tastes well deserved. :D

Awesome

I recall that being an extra tasty beverage as well.

Suddenly it seemed like everything was always on the wrong side of the wing. About the 2nd or 3rd day I had a smile on my face and a quick laugh as I caught myself being annoyed by the amount of times I had to walk around the dang wings!

Back