What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cordless screwdriver choice

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I’m looking for recommendations. Plenty of choices and wanted to see what folks liked. Smaller size and clutch is preferred.

Depends on what you're looking for. Many choices.

I'm heavily invested in the Milwaukee infrastructure, both 12 and 18 volt, so started there. I've had various of the little handheld folding screwdrivers but never found one I liked and didn't care for the requirement that I use only bits suitable for a 1/4 inch spring chuck. Ended up going with the 12 volt Milwaukee 3/8 inch drill/driver. Great clutch, small and easy to use, plenty of power and very flexible in terms of what I can use. Makes all those smaller ones feel like a toy and harder to use. I use it for both drill and screwdriver. It has suffered horrible abuse but continues to work great.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=milwauke...=nb_sb_ss_deep-retrain-50-ops-acceptance_2_48

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 10.36.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 10.36.09 AM.png
    290.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 10.39.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 10.39.52 AM.png
    355.2 KB · Views: 158
That's the one I have....can't remember paying that much....:eek:

The variable speed gyro is a real benefit. And the clutch (torque release) is well designed.

Last edited:
So, I have to ask. What are the advantages to one of these vs a regular 18V drill with a screwdriver bit?

Weight. When you have to match drill 2k holes on a wing, every fraction of an ounce counts.

smaller size also allows you to get into tight places. again, every fraction of an inch counts

I've been using a Bosch for several years now. Like it so much I bought a second to keep in my motorhome.
it's similar to this but 9.6 volts

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-12V-Max-3-8-In-Drill-Driver-Bare-Tool/5001935575

I used to have something with a much larger voltage...but I see no point. It's smaller and lighter but the battery lasts plenty long even after several years of occasional use. I've done pretty much anything you'd want to do with a cordless drill using it. My 9.6V has plenty of power. I lost a fingernail a couple months ago when carelessly tightening a screw under a chair, and it grabbed tight wrenching my hand around into the chair's frame. Smashed my finger good!

Plus one for Milwaukee. I have this one and am very happy with it. I prefer the pistol grip.

I also have a Milwaukee 1/4 inch drive cordless ratchet that uses the same bhttps://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=210507attery. Both are go-to tools when working on the airplane.

The 12 V drill driver from Milwaukee that I have is exactly the same handle, frame and motor, only has a different chuck. I didn’t want be limited to quarter inch hex bits, I wanted to be able to do both screwdriver and nut driver bits and drill bits in the same unit. I found this one to be too limiting and it’s now in my wife’s toolbox. The 12 V version Milwaukee drill driver is pretty small and light for the fact you can do both. I have the 18 V version drill too and it works great but it’s pretty big and the 18 V batteries are heavy. Twelve volt size is perfect.

Last edited:
OK, so I'm a little embarrassed to post this, especially after the references to Snap-On, Dewalt, and other higher quality tools. I don't have a lot of Snap-on tools, but do have several from Dewalt, Makita, Ingersoll-Rand, and others. I'm more than willing for spend $ for high quality tools when needed, but sometimes something a little closer to "disposable" fills the bill more than adequately. Were I a pro using it every day like Walt others, I may well go a different direction.

I have a couple of these little 4v screwdrivers from that oh-so-well-known tool company "Hyper Tough", sold at Walmart. Not precision, but they work great, and at less than $18 (I think they were less than $15 when I bought them 3 years or so ago), they're tough to beat for removing about a million machine screws at CI time, or any number of other relatively light duty jobs. Still going strong after 3 years, so if one failed tomorrow (and there's no sign of that), I'd be out less than a gallon of Avgas/year.

The handle swivels, to either be straight or L-shaped, which can help in tight spaces. A small LED lets you see what you're doing in dark spaces. More than enough power for removing/driving machine screws; setting the clutch at 3 prevents stripping out the screw head, but there's more torque if needed. Depending on the location, I'll occasionally follow up with a hand screwdriver to ensure "German Torque". Charge seems to last a reasonably long time--I've never needed a recharge for a single job--even opening up everything on the -10 for the CI. Cheap enough to keep an extra in the travel tool bag. Not sure about the quality of the included bits--I don't use them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-To...BCBpdKdNVQuzYuAQnjJ&athancid=null&athena=true

Dewalt Model# DCF610S2

I really like this DeWalt - it is well balanced in the hand, light, and has a good torque limiting adjustment. It is easy to modulate the trigger for speed control and positive engagement.

A separate battery allows alternate charging and fast swap when working.

I use APEX bits as a rule. It is easy to tell when the friction is getting high and lube is needed on typical inspection screws. I use a hi torque for removal.

Likely other good models of other brands, but I stopped looking as this met all the needs. I do cover it with an old athletic sock to prevent scuffs.

BTW - the torque is perfect for #4, 6, 8 and sometimes 1/4 drive small sockets. More torque is not always better. If tools were universal, we would only need one.

Last edited:
My "go to" is the 4v Craftsman. Sadly, it's not made any more. For me it's the perfect balance of size, power, clutch & fwd/rev trigger. I bought the 2nd when I found it hidden on a local store shelf. I've replaced the battery on one of them but eventually something will break that I can't fix.

Attachments

• IMG_6302.jpg
    IMG_6302.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 66
I use Ryobi because I want to use the common battery packs for all of my cordless tool. The common battery is the main decision point of my tool

Common batteries is key, because you will not buy just one! I am a buyer and maintainer, not a builder to be fair. The hangar gets Bosch 12vMax items, because that is what came with my heated jackets that I bought after my frigid first cross country. I have an impact driver for everyday screws, a drill with a clutch, and an angle drill, also with a clutch. No complaints. The jackets have been the weak link, but hey, more batteries for the tools. Factory reconditioned items have performed as new, in my experience.

I also like the Dewalt DCF680 screwdriver. I use it almost exclusively in the straight line configuration (not the pistol grip mode). The gyro activation seems strange, but is quickly learned and allows easy control of the driver with one hand. They also make a straight only model for a few dollars less, but it doesn't have the clutch, which I find to be invaluable in keeping me from over torqueing the screws when setting them.

What's all the fuss about? I have several tool boxes full of screwdrivers and literally NONE of them has a cord!

I have a cheapo Black & Decker "gyro" driver - it works well. Recently, though, I've been going back to my ages-old standby - a 1/4" drive Snap-On speed wrench with a hex bit adapter on the end.

Of all the things to fail on these things, and among the most expensive to replace are the batteries. How many manufacturers have a free lifetime replacement warrantee on batteries? Rigid is one, and I'm on my second set of new (free) batteries. My otherwise excellent DeWalt didnt do that, and after I found out the replacement batteries cost 85% of the original purchase price for the whole kit, I went to Rigid.

Cheapo Skil mini

I have an old (20yrsish) Skil with internal rechargeable battery. Super small, very light and has a headlight. This thing fits in tight spots, has no sharp corners and can be thrown in a flight bag when going somewhere. Mine no longer holds charge very long and I'm going to attempt to replace the internal battery or just get a new one. I have a Bosh and a Dewalt, which are nice, but this tiny palm screw driver is my go to weapon of choice for the RV.

Attachments

• Skil.jpg
    Skil.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 173
I have a NoCry drill I found on line for less than $40 that is small, light, and has 5 torque settings. It is several years old and still works great. I find the lowest settings is tight enough and the second setting is a bit too tight, for #8 Phillips head screws. I rarely strip screws and use it preferentially over my Makita and my Dewalt. YMMV.

John Koonce
N78MU-RV 10

If you get a cordless drill, get something that is lightweight. The ones with the stick batteries are great. When you have to match drill several hundred holes in a skin, your wrist will appreciate the lightweight.

As for a screwdriver, I use a small rechargeable Black and Decker for my deburring. If you get the cleaveland tool set, it'll have a hex drive deburring tool that fits perfectly. It also turns very slow, so you won't countersink the holes when deburring.

I took a builders course in Boone, Iowa at WC Aircraft, which is closely affiliated with cleaveland tools. This was also the screw driver they recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER...x=black+and+decker+screwdriver,aps,109&sr=8-9

Last edited:
I missed the fact that we are discussing screw drivers and not drill motors.

For screw removal and insertion I use hands only. Twist type or if I have a bunch to do - speedhandle.. After maintaining airplanes for 35 years now, Ive seen too much damage with power tools. I use the feel of screws going in or out as an important aspect of evaluating condition. Too many new mechanics will just pull the trigger and power right through galled, crossthreaded or stripped hardware. Clutches help, but not much. JMHO.

I missed the fact that we are discussing screw drivers and not drill motors.

For screw removal and insertion I use hands only. Twist type or if I have a bunch to do - speedhandle.. After maintaining airplanes for 35 years now, Ive seen too much damage with power tools. I use the feel of screws going in or out as an important aspect of evaluating condition. Too many new mechanics will just pull the trigger and power right through galled, crossthreaded or stripped hardware. Clutches help, but not much. JMHO.

I agree whole heartedly, however... part of the reason I love the snap on unit is the excellent torque setting ability, on the lowest setting it will not strip the head or drive a screw in with bad threads or cross threaded. It also allows you to really lean into a screw if it doesn't want to come out which equals less bunged up screw heads.

I can't imagine removing so many screws without it, I still have my speedhandle but can't remember the last time I used it!
I do still use a screwdriver for final torque check on important screws, just to be sure a tight nutplate wasn't fooling the torque setting.

Last edited:
My favorite driver

+1 Dewalt DCF680

In its straight configuration - which I prefer anyway - I can feel the torque almost like a manual screwdriver. The clutch is fully adjustable.

The best thing I discovered is that it will fit inside the -10 wing and has plenty of torque to remove the tank attach bolts. Unless, of course, the previous kit owner had his pet gorilla torque them down.

MY favorite driver.....!

In its straight configuration - which I prefer anyway - I can feel the torque almost like a manual screwdriver. The clutch is fully adjustable. The best thing I discovered is that it will fit inside the -10 wing and has plenty of torque to remove the tank attach bolts. Unless, of course, the previous kit owner had his pet gorilla torque them down.

OK: I have a DeWalt someone gave me but it is difficult to find a new battery and the old one is on its last legs. I have had a Makita 3.0Ah 18V for years that was my go-to drill/driver. I was doing some work in the tail section of SuzieQ and needed something smaller that would fit in the access hole back there. Headed to Harbor Freight (I know, I know) looking for something smaller. Found a Hercules 2Ah 12V on sale that is MUCH lighter, smaller and fit nicely in the access hole. It has stood up well to my abuse. The clutch is very accurate and very adjustable. Doesn't strip out smaller screws. Two speeds like the Big Boys. I was drafted in to assembling bicycles and big plastic lawn chairs at my partner's business (Canadian Recycled Plastic) which have a LOT of screws. I bought a second battery so I wouldn't have to charge it at work and have never had to put the second battery on. Runs all day doing hard work. I LIKE it! Weight difference and size are a winner for me.

Back