What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin SL-30 & SL-40 Plastic Faceplates

carlrai

Well Known Member
Last month, within a week of each other both faceplates on my radios simply let go and fell off. Garmin tech support had two options ? replace with new or re-adhere the old. Since the new parts are $44 each :)eek:!!!) I?m electing to simply reattach using the suggested 3M-99 adhesive, sprayed onto masked faceplates in a 1/16? band around the perimeter.

Figured before I started I?d post this aggravating little problem to see if anyone else had experienced this and the adhesive they used to secure the faceplates. CA?s (Super Glue) tend to fog plastic so I?m staying away from them unless one exists that is plastic compatible.

Appreciate any input.

Interesting post. Our SL40 face plate has let go. Is there any report of a successful repair?

Thanks for posting the Garmin/Apollo repair suggestion

I would guess from you locations that the vulnerability is to heat. I have the SL-30, SL-60 and previously SL-40 with no problem but if it happened to both of you I suspect it will eventually come my way. The repair method sounds good on the surface but are you suggesting that the recommended adhesive may cause fogging problems?

Bob Axsom

Garmin SL40 Faceplate Delamination

I recently noticed that my Garmin SL40 faceplate was beginning to delaminate, I had it sent back to Garmin under warranty for repair... etc. Unit was repaired & returned... Okay so far.

Victor
RV-7A

I had the faceplates of both my SL30 and SL70 come off recently. I was able to scrounge a couple from a dealer, here is the photo of the one for the SL30:

008pp-1.jpg

I think I will try repairing the one that is on the radio first. My plan is to use 3M High-Strength 90 adhesive available at Home Depot for about $14 for a 24 oz. aerosol can. Or I think you could use a similar 3M tape as seen here. I think the one that would work is the 3M 4905 VHB tape available on line for about $15 for a 1/2" X 5 yards roll. I'm going to try to use the spray-on adhesive first and if that doesn't work, I'll try the tape. It looks to me like the adhesive is about 1/8" wide around the perimeter of the faceplate just by looking at the one from the factory with the tape on the back.

I actually used the SL70 one I got because the original had deformed slightly, I presume from the heat. So I think it is definitely a heat issue and having avionics fans should definitely help here.

It may be awhile before I can report the results, but I will if the adhesive doesn't work out.

P.S. Keep in mind that my airplane just turned 10 years old (can hardly believe it), so the faceplates have lasted a long time.

Last edited:
Now I'm in the same boat. Radio is only 6 years old and otherwise good as new. Did anyone have any particular success?

Ken

Ken, wow that was a long time ago. The adhesive approach didn't work for me at all, just made a mess. I ended up using the new faceplate that I had acquired from an avionics dealer. They are still in place and look like new, looks like the post was 2 years ago. The originals lasted about 10 years.

That's the only way to go in my opinion, but I know they are expensive/hard to find.

Ken, wow that was a long time ago. The adhesive approach didn't work for me at all, just made a mess. I ended up using the new faceplate that I had acquired from an avionics dealer. They are still in place and look like new, looks like the post was 2 years ago. The originals lasted about 10 years.

That's the only way to go in my opinion, but I know they are expensive/hard to find.

Ditto here. Acquired a new face plate and all is well.

Thanks guys.

My SL-40 is delaminating also. The SL-30 is intact; but might as well get new ones on the way. Was thinking glue .... Mine are 6 years old too.
Mucho hot in S Texas.
Cheers,

Both my SL-30 and SL-40 faceplates delaminated and literally fell off after about 5 years. They are warped so new ones are required. Garmin should be ashamed at the ridiculous price they charge for a piece of plastic! Anyone out there have some spares or a cheaper source than Garmin?

I also just had face cover fall off after 7 years. Just wondering how you contact garmin or any other fix.
Ric

I had screens come loose also.

My SL-40 screen started to come loose so I just pulled it off.
Turns out it is actually two layers of plastic that came off.

What's left is another layer of plastic that feels secure.
I can't tell any real difference in the way the numbers look now.

I plan just to use it like this. The only things missing are the labels.
"Garmin" "SL-40" and "Squelch".

I would think Garmin would give the plastic away so folks could get the "Garmin" back on there :D

Lots of glare in the photo but you can get the idea of how it looks.

The ICOM label hasn't fallen off of the trusty A-200 :eek:

Mark

P1160447AA.jpg

Garmin's response to my inquiry back in 2013:

The cost is $44.15 plus shipping. You can call 800.525.6726 x3995 to order.

I don't know if that cost is for just the clear piece with the dark film or the entire front bezel assembly. I ended up tinting my clear piece in the sunglass tint tank at the local optometrist then plastic supergluing it to the bezel. This was after destroying the dark film trying to uncurl it.

Last edited:
Back