What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to look for when buying an older secondhand kit?

Dalpilot

I’m looking at several peoples RV8’s that are partially built quick builds. This is my first build and I would like to know what to look for when looking at the kits. One is newer and one is from 2001. Any big gotcha’s to look for?

suggest you get a pre-buy

Kits need a pre-buy or examination by an rv expert. Here is a brief narrative of what actually happened to an rv-10 kit buyer.

From Base Leg Aviation web page:https://baselegaviation.com/prebuy-inspection/
"He (Vic) recently examined an RV-10 kit advertised as 95% complete. The riveting was so bad throughout the entire aircraft that it is a restoration project. The buyer dodged a big bullet on this one. Unfortunately, a first-time buyer purchased this kit a few months later without a prebuy examination. He got a second opinion, confirming the results. He was out $35K".

Vic's Pre Buy Guide for Amateur-Built aircraft also shows hundreds of pictures of problems in finished aircraft.

Known problem areas

First things I would look at.
1. Random shop heads 1/8" & 3/32". You'll know pretty quick if the rest of the airplane should be inspected.
2. HS Mounting holes. Not sure if it's the same on an 8. It's one of the toughest spots to drill perfectly. Virtually no edge distance to spare. A borescope will give a good look.
If those two pass mustard, then start digging deep.

Be sure the keys are included to the gas caps that are locked in the fuel tanks.

Also be sure the B-nuts on the vent lines inside said tanks are adequately tightened and slathered with polysulfide (I didn't say Pro Seal or FlameMaster on purpose :D) for good measure.

The voice of experience.

Don’t

I found lots of stuff AFTER I got it home. If you see many bad rivets and double hole snowmen then don’t bother looking further. You’ll only find more junk. I looked past a lot of that thinking I would repair it. However it’s just the tip of the iceberg. Long story short I’ll be removing both upper Longerons and whatever else I find. Whatever you think you’ll be saving you won’t by the time you get stuck with all the extra work and replacements. Unless it’s sitting in the hangar of a former award winning builder do yourself a favor and buy it all new from Van’s.

N82VM - PM sent.

Look at the rivet work. Flashlights and inspection mirrors. Make sure EVERY access panel, and inspection cover is removed.

If the builder has taken the care to make the work look “pretty”, there is a good chance the build is good. Also good builders are proud of their work. If you get a bad vibe, be forewarned.

Match hole

The RV8 kits were up graded in about 2005 to the match hole technology.
Older Fuselages had to be built on a jig, if the jig wasn’t level or had a twist, the fuselage could be junk. I would be very careful buying an older stalled out RV8 kit.
I have build lots of RV8 and have seen one that was twisted 3 degrees.
Buyer beware

Back