What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT Failure

Fred.Stucklen

Well Known Member
Friend
My Ameri-King 121.5 Mhz ELT has finally failed the drop test. It still works when the remote switch is activated, but that wouldn’t help me much is a crash. So I'm looking for a new 406 Mhz unit that will be compatible with the current ACK wiring and remote switch mounting configurations. Internet searches have indicated that the Kannad Integro Unit and the Artec ME-406ACE unit have wiring and remote switch mounting compatibility to my current ACK 450 device.

Has anyone tried either of these replacement options? If so, what issues did you run into? Are there any other options that I should be looking at? I'm interested in any other solutions....

I'm not sure this is applicable to those current models, but at least one point of reference between the same manufacturers, maybe it will help others - I spent hours researching the compatibility and perusing manuals...

I had an ACK E-04 121.5/406 that set off so many false alarms, I replaced it with the Artex 345 Slim Kit model 8108.

Required replacing the attachment base (same dimensions but different indentations) and swapping a few pins in the wiring shell. I used my old antenna and did not have to run any additional wiring. Swapped out the panel control head, but the new one fit in the same hole and used the "telephone cord" wiring from the old unit.

2 hour job, most of it squirming back into the tail and replacing the base.

Those ACKs are POSs

Phil
RV-10 built, flying
Murphy Moose, building
KBTF - Bountiful, UT

Ditto on the false alarms on the ACK E04 unit. I have tried moving the antenna to several different positions but it still has false alarms mid-air

I would avoid this unit.

My Ameri-King 121.5 Mhz ELT has finally failed the drop test. It still works when the remote switch is activated, but that wouldn’t help me much is a crash. So I'm looking for a new 406 Mhz unit that will be compatible with the current ACK wiring and remote switch mounting configurations. Internet searches have indicated that the Kannad Integro Unit and the Artec ME-406ACE unit have wiring and remote switch mounting compatibility to my current ACK 450 device.

Has anyone tried either of these replacement options? If so, what issues did you run into? Are there any other options that I should be looking at? I'm interested in any other solutions....
Just replaced (last week) my Ameri-King with the ACK E-04.
Differences:

Mount plate is different, will require new mounting holes.
Mine is mounted on the right, fwd edge of the baggage floor (RV4).

Antenna will need to be replaced (easy, if you can squeeze into the tailcone!)

COAX and remote wiring can remain as-is

Remote is a different size (smaller) and the new ELT is not compatible with the old remote (or so I have been told)
So for me, that required a new mounting bracket (fabricated from 1"x1" aluminum angle)

As far as false alarms,, too early to tell,, in the middle of my CI so I haven't flown it yet.

But I will say good riddance to that old Ameri-King. I had constant issues with bleed through on my VHF com.

Just replaced (last week) my Ameri-King with the ACK E-04.
Differences:

Mount plate is different, will require new mounting holes.
Mine is mounted on the right, fwd edge of the baggage floor (RV4).

Antenna will need to be replaced (easy, if you can squeeze into the tailcone!)

COAX and remote wiring can remain as-is

Remote is a different size (smaller) and the new ELT is not compatible with the old remote (or so I have been told)
So for me, that required a new mounting bracket (fabricated from 1"x1" aluminum angle)

As far as false alarms,, too early to tell,, in the middle of my CI so I haven't flown it yet.

But I will say good riddance to that old Ameri-King. I had constant issues with bleed through on my VHF com.

I did same last year replacing American-king with ACK-04. Note in Addition to above is telephone cable from ELT to remote can be used but there is an adapter that needs to be used that comes with the conversion kit. Also requires some wire routing and add conn3ctor if you do optional connect up to your gps to be continuously update reducing error in case of crash.
In year I have had it, I have never had a false alarm, knock on wood. I have seen some cracking in plastic at base of antenna. Looks like not a structural issue. Sent email to ACK with picture but they never responded.

Last edited:
Elt

I'm not sure this is applicable to those current models, but at least one point of reference between the same manufacturers, maybe it will help others - I spent hours researching the compatibility and perusing manuals...

I had an ACK E-04 121.5/406 that set off so many false alarms, I replaced it with the Artex 345 Slim Kit model 8108.

Required replacing the attachment base (same dimensions but different indentations) and swapping a few pins in the wiring shell. I used my old antenna and did not have to run any additional wiring. Swapped out the panel control head, but the new one fit in the same hole and used the "telephone cord" wiring from the old unit.

2 hour job, most of it squirming back into the tail and replacing the base.

Those ACKs are POSs

Phil
RV-10 built, flying
Murphy Moose, building
KBTF - Bountiful, UT

Phil, I'm assuming that the swapped pins in the wiring shell had to do with the GPS feed. I currently don't have that feed, and don't plan on implementing it. So I shouldn't have to change the wiring. Is that a correct assumption?

The Ameri-King 450 uses a phone wire to the remote. The Artec 345 uses DB-9's. This would require me to re-wire the aircraft, which is something I'm trying to avoid.

Last edited:
The Kannad Integra represents "best of breed". Not the cheapest, but definitely the best.

I've installed and recommended the installation of Kannad ELT's for over a decade. Their service record has been flawless. Many of them were installed when old 121.5 units failed their certification tests. The Kannad units just keep soldiering on.

I don't make any money recommending anybody's products, but I do put my money where my mouth is. One of my airplanes has the older Kannad Compact 406AF installed while the other has a Kannad Integra. I'm to the point that I won't recommend any other ELT unless the buyer is truly strapped for cash and realizes and accepts they are making a compromise on an important safety system.

Hi Fred,

Yes, I do have GPS data in, so i re-pinned that for the new ELT location (pin 9) - obviously omit that is not using in the new application.

I needed to add the remote buzzer, so that was an added pin (pin 8).

I used the telephone cable from the old installation, cut off the ends and used the wires to the new panel remote, which fit in the old panel remote cutout, didn't have to re-rerun anything new. If I was doing a new installation, would not use the telephone cable, but run a larger gauge, but works fine as is...

Best,

Phil

There are more factors such as battery life. I chose the ARTEX 345 for the fact that it does not need a remote switch if, it is mounted in the cockpit within reach of the pilot. Plus it has a 7 year battery life. If you do want or need a remote panel switch it is very straightforward and has clearly explained pin connections in the online manual.

ACS offer a "Slim" panel switch and 2 different lengths of antenna, so study your requirements carefully before ordering.

Good luck in your search

My Ameri-King 121.5 Mhz ELT has finally failed the drop test. It still works when the remote switch is activated, but that wouldn’t help me much is a crash.
Well, if you know you're going to hit something you can always activate it with the remote.

If you don't know you're going to hit something, chances are it doesn't matter if it goes off or not...

We need a G-switch that sends an emergency signal using the transponder network. The Aireon satellites will already have your position, you just need the "help me" alert to go along with it, and we can finally ditch the obsolete ELT system.

Thanks all for your replies. It looks like the easiest replacement is either the Kannad Integra or the Artec 345 with the slim kit (they both would utilize the current panel cutout.). I'll study these more and choose one or the other.....

Back