What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LASAR 500 Hr Inspection Requirement

Edwardoc

I have 478 hours on my LASAR system at present and it has performed as advertised. My last contact with Champion indicated is was pretty expensive for them to tear down inspect and replace as necessary. Any experience out there with inspections/repairs to the Lasar mags? I was told the most critical thing was to get the Impulse coupler (Called the Bush Mod) inspected as it is on the internal engine side of the housing and if it comes apart, it can spread metal all through the engine and some of the clearances are critical on the coupler.
I believe it is a standard Coupler and would like to just get it inspected and repaired as necessary and leave the rest of the mag alone as long as they are working fine or just have someone who repairs Mags inspect the hardware and leave the electronics as is.
Any inputs appreciated.:)

I had a similar experience....

My engine was at Mattituck for some work. They warned me of the large expense to have the Lasar system torn down and inspected. For me, it was slightly cheaper to have them install a new set of P-mags than to get the Lasar re-certified. I opted for the P-mags and sold the Lasar system.

Good luck,

Since it is on an experimental, that is why I'm considering running until one mag has a problem assuming it doesn't happen to both at same time. But I would like the coupler inspected since it can trash the engine if it comes apart.:eek:

When I had a LASAR mag failure (just east of Greeley, btw) I ended up sending it to some guys up at Pro Aero Engines in BC for an inspection. I believe they are right next door to Aero Sport Power in Kamloops. My magneto was pretty much dead and I ended up with P-Mags, but I bet they could do an inspection for you. The contact information I have is below, and sent in a PM too in case it isn't kosher to post.

Warren Cook
Operations Manager
Pro Aero Engines
2965 Airport Road
Kamloops, BC
V2B 7W8
Tel; (250) 376-1223

Lasar

I have the Lasar system and i spoke to Harry Senton 815-566-2735 very good guy to chat too.
Also you could call Chapion Aerospace 864 843-1162 or Progressive Air Services
250 376-6226
Hope this helps.

Back