What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax 912 ULS EGT Question

hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
Dynon Skyview Classic in which CHT and EGT are L and R, not for a single cylinder. I usually observe them while cruising around 4 or 5k MSL and 4 GPH. Performance is good and as expected.

My CHTs are almost exactly the same.

My EGT's (L and R) are about 50 degrees F different. I think it's always in the same direction.

1. How is the temp determined for a side: average or what?

2. Is this normal. And if not, is it adjustable? And if so how - carb jets or other?

Thanks.

You see one EGT reading per side because there is one EGT probe per side. Ours are usually close, but I don't know that I've ever seen them exactly the same. Usually not more than 25-30 degrees apart, though, since we had the carbs overhauled and floats replaced.

I too have the same readings where my CHTs are nearly the same but the EGTs are 40-50 degrees different, left higher than right. This has been what I’ve noted for 600 hrs. now, and when I rebuilt the carbs at 400 hrs the guy who helped me thought there might be an intake leak on the high side (which was left/ pilot side). I checked everything as best I could but the readings have never changed.

Could it be the Idle Mixture Control Screw on the bottom of the carburetors? I know that when I synchronized my carbs, both screws were out a different amount of turns. They should be out 1 1/2 turns each. When I synced the screws, the EGTs matched. Could be coincidence......

My EGT readings are pretty much the same. However I recently noticed a significant CHT difference. I then cleaned the suspected connector of the probe from stain and this helped. Both CHT again pretty much equal.

Could it be the Idle Mixture Control Screw on the bottom of the carburetors? I know that when I synchronized my carbs, both screws were out a different amount of turns. They should be out 1 1/2 turns each. When I synced the screws, the EGTs matched. Could be coincidence......

The Bing 64 has three circuits - idle, mid-range, and main jet. The circuits overlap slightly, but cruise power is strictly on the main jet with max airflow through the Venturi...

Back