What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Did my first "Airshow"

Bastien

Well Known Member
This summer when I just first flew my RV8 I meet a guy with a SF-260 Marchetti. After his landing, he rolled to a neighbor hangar with his plane, shut the engine down and jump out his plane.
At the same time I was rolling the aircraft out of the hangar to do the third of fourth test flight. We spent a lot of time around the plane and he really like the way the RV was built (I believe it was the first time he saw a completed RV as there are not a lot in France).
He really liked the finish of the plane and after discussing a lot he told me a little about himself. That he is the owner of Czech Ride ( Yak 3 modified into a Yak 11 and that had raced in Reno long time ago).

A month later and after I completed the test flight period of the airplane I went to an airfield close to mine to do the first "navigation". When I landed I saw his Marchetti on the apron and met him at the airfield office. We sat on the bar and discuss a little further on the building process of my RV8, about my studies and about him. He told me that on the airfield he is based on, he (with others) was organizing a small airshow and invited me to come with my plane to see it.

Without an hesitation I told him that it would be a pleasure for me to come.

A month later I call him to have some informations on the procedure for coming to the airfield and he told me that he didn't though that I would really come with my airplane but it was.

After a day of aeronautical studies, I took off at 7pm to do the 200Nm trip and landed 1:15 later.
I get a reception I wouldn't believe I could get and together with the Yak owner, we put the plane in the hangar. I had a dinner with him, the mechanics and his friends and we spoke a long time about the difference between luck and opportunities. I get to bed thinking of the next day meeting.
IMG_0455.jpg

The next day, I take the breakfast and then go to the airfield with the yak owner to help him putting the planes out of the hangar and he told me : "Bastien, I have news for you, it might be good one or a bad one, the MS733 planned at 3:43pm is out of service due to an ignition problem, do you want to show your plane in flight?" ( I remembered about the luck and opportunities we spoke the day before) I told him that it would be an honor.
IMG_0463.jpg

3:40, just after a breezy I started the engine an rolled for holding point runway 10. Breezy lands and I hear from the flight director : " RV8 you are clear to line up and take off runway 10. Good flight". I applied the power and did a soft demo of the plane (it was my first one and I preferred to keep it simple as I haven't the experience of low flying close to a public).
IMG_2740.jpg

(photo by Jacques Bellanger)

After 4 minutes of demo (while the speaker was telling my story and my plane's) I landed, open the canopy and could see the applause of the public. I shut down the engine, (close the oil door that pops up on the last sharp edge fly-by). And discuss with some spectators curious to hear a little bit more about the airplane.
IMG_1363.jpg

After an intense day, I took off and get home with a grin I couldn't even imagine when I came to the Airshow.

Thanks for the Yak owner for his proposition, for what he has done for me, thanks to Jacques Bellanger the photographer for the beautiful shots it took and to all the staff for letting me fly during this event.

IMG_3314.jpg

Last edited:
Well done !

You diserved it coz you have a fantastic airplane and I know you 've worked hard to get this kind of result ! Congratulations !

Denis

With that amazing paint scheme, you wouldn't even have to take off to impress the crowd! :D

Thanks for the replies about this experience. I will post if I have new ones !
Denis welcome to VAF ! It took a while before I understood who you really are. That said you should rather be building your 7 than reading my stories :D.

Very cool!

Bastien,
Very cool! That is indeed a neat experience - thanks for sharing the story and your beautiful pictures.

Also, my oil door did the same thing - I ended up putting a couple of extra plies of glass on the inside to stiffen it up.

Best regards,

Thanks for the replies about this experience. I will post if I have new ones !

Fantastique!
I told my son about you finishing your 8 (He helped me with mine) He is currently studying in Marseilles. (and is jealous of you I think) I am VERY impressed with your achievements!
Keep it up.. I look forward to your future posts!

RV8r in Paris Sunda and all day monday

JB

Tre Bien RV8!

UPS pilot arriving Paris Sunday night, have all day monday to talk RV!

just ride to cologne on Monday night around 11pm

Can you or any other RVrs play (lunch?, airfield?, chat?, etc etc) Monday

Tom Swartzlander
[email protected]
RV8 taildone, QBfuselage in progress, slow wings in progress

Back