What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oops, is this considered a lightening hole?

tkatc

Well Known Member
As I was dimpling the bottom rib of the rudder, I wondered how some builders could POSSIBLY make the figure 8 mistake. I thought it could never happen to me.... well, it didn't, but I came very close. I made a lightening hole!!
_DSC0001.JPG

_DSC0002.JPG

I flattened the dimple with the rivet gun and it looks pretty good. I am inclined to press on but wanted to run it by the masses. The original hole remains intact and not affected. Even the edge distance is borderline acceptable.

Don't worry I have special mutant double head rivet for that. Will sell cheap no will trade for a flammable from that fridge of yours :D

Let me guess; you where using a pnuematic dimpler?

As long as you have the edge distance between holes and the edge, you have nothing to worry about. Debur the hole and move on.

Don't worry

I figure I had an even half dozen such non structural devits over the many years and two planes. JB Weld is the answer. Move on & good luck, Bill

hole

Ah yes the love affair with JBWeld continues. Just debur the hole and move on.

I have a rule that an "extra" hole that is left alone is a lightening hole. If
I can put a rivet in it, it becomes a BAR, "Builder Added Reinforcement"

It's probably OK as is, but if it were mine, I would put on .032 or .040 backing/doubler strip on the inside rib flange capturing at least both the rivets on the either side of the offending hole and rivet it all together with the skin. I'm not a big fan of using JB Weld on an airplane, except perhaps in very rare circumstances on non-structural items, but that's just my opinion.

Back