What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crack in VS attach plate

I haven't noticed a rash of RV verticals falling off, and they are all designed pretty much the same. One that cracked as a result of improper installation prompting people, and rightfully so, to inspect them, which has reconfirmed the part is fine unless I missed something.
I trust Van's design and refuse to believe it will not hold up when properly installed even through a regiment of "hard" slips. I know people who routinely peformed snap rolls and Lomcovák's and no tails departed.
I just hate to see people start to modify parts with no evidence of any real problem.
I have however added this to my CI inspection regiment ( I already ispected this area for "security" but now am more tuned into the possibility of a small or hidden crack.)

Last edited:
Taking an eyes wide open look...

Failure in a part that can probably be attributed to construction/installation factors, will not necessarily be resolved by simply making that part stronger.
In fact, there is a good possibility that if the same type of installation error occurs when using a stiffer/stronger part, that it will simple move the failure point somewhere else (to the fwd vertical stab. spar for instance).
Considering the number of RV's (pretty much all of them), flying with this type of vertical stab installation, factored against the small number of attach brackets with cracks, it seems the correct approach would be to be sure that the bracket is properly deburred, and not under any strain when installed.

This thread has grown cold, anyone with any updates/cracks found in the VS attach plate? I have none, but often am reminded to check for cracks.

....We ship several of this mod every week, and some purchasers have reported cracks when they did their installations. This will definitely have an undesirable outcome should it fail, and it makes no sense not to address the issue. Thanks, Allan..:confused:

Back