What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine cooling tutorial

Excellent post Dave. And quite timely too, as I am about to install my last section of baffle seal. Van's baffle kit does a very good job fitting to my O320 engine, IMHO.

This is the kind of post that makes these forums so valuable. Atta boy, Dave! :D

Plenum

The debate, Why is a plenum more efficient than stock per-plans seal set-up? It is because soft seals, no matter how well done (RV or Cessna) will never be quite as well sealed as a dedicated top on the baffling (ie plenum). Also seals wear out over time. The second advantage is the top on the baffle (plenum) supports the normally unsupported top edge of the baffle, which my reduce baffle fatigue cracking. Just my Opinion. :eek: Combine a plenum with a tight leak free connection the (cowl) air-inlets, you can cut down the inlet stock area, because you are using all the air, loosing little if anything to leakage. That equals less cooling drag and increased speed with no loss in cooling or even improved cooling over soft seals. :D Cheers George

Back