What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Serial numbers

billytime1

Well Known Member
It has come to my attention that vans is attempting to compile ALL serial numbers to ALL kits. With respect to emp serial numbers and building of other kits, fuse , wing… and said wing and fuse kits serial numbers are to be attached to the builders emp number on file at vans.
The reason for this is a FAA, I was told from vans .. as such be it known that when selling kits have all serial numbers ready to go so vans will clear the way for buyers to purchase parts for their project.
I am currently cleaning up such a dilemma and thankfully all involved are assisting including vans . Just a heads up to the new way of doing things , which I was told should have been done in the first place.. not blaming anyone.. just getting the word out and pressing forward.
Billythekid

Yes and no. This mainly applies to used kits that are compiled from sub kits that were bought from different people. For example, you purchase a project from a private seller and he has all 4 sub kits that he pieced together. He gives you a bill of sale with the empanage serial number. You send in the paperwork to Vans and they reject the kit transfer until you have a bill of sale for the wings, fuselage, and finish kit, in addition to the empanage serial number. They now require a paper trail for every sub kit purchased. I’m going through this right now. Thankfully the person I bought the kit from has been super helpful in getting all the kit purchases transferred to me so Vans can issue me a BOS to get the plane registered with the FAA. So what this means in a nut shell, when buying a used kit, make sure you have proof of purchase for every sub kit in addition to the empanage builder number if they were bought separately. If the original builder bought all the kits, then Vans with have a record of that and you are good to go.

serial numbers

This seems like a "make work" rule by the FAA. Why would it matter where you got the material for the aircraft. You could build it from plans if that was desired or source the material elsewhere. Someone is running amok.

Yes and no. This mainly applies to used kits that are compiled from sub kits that were bought from different people. For example, you purchase a project from a private seller and he has all 4 sub kits that he pieced together. He gives you a bill of sale with the empanage serial number. You send in the paperwork to Vans and they reject the kit transfer until you have a bill of sale for the wings, fuselage, and finish kit, in addition to the empanage serial number. They now require a paper trail for every sub kit purchased. I’m going through this right now. Thankfully the person I bought the kit from has been super helpful in getting all the kit purchases transferred to me so Vans can issue me a BOS to get the plane registered with the FAA. So what this means in a nut shell, when buying a used kit, make sure you have proof of purchase for every sub kit in addition to the empanage builder number if they were bought separately. If the original builder bought all the kits, then Vans with have a record of that and you are good to go.

This seems like a "make work" rule by the FAA. Why would it matter where you got the material for the aircraft. You could build it from plans if that was desired or source the material elsewhere. Someone is running amok.

My guess is that it matters only as far as one wants the ability to use the pathway for pre-approved kits deemed to qualify for E-AB registration. If one wanted to go the non-preapproved-kit pathway, and has the build log, receipts for materials, and what ever else the FAA may want to back it up it would probably be just fine….. but you would not be getting factory support to accomplish the registration, and would not be able to use the pre-approved kit pathway. That might be fine for a plans or scratch built aircraft. But probably harder if you pieced together several orphan kits in different stages of completion by different builders….

I’m sure one of the DARs here can tell us more…….

Back