What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Broken exhaust

ccsmith51

Well Known Member
Today I went flying and, to make a long story short, part of my exhaust broke off and departed the aircraft.

I bought the RV-6 and have contacted the builder to try to learn the type of exhaust system that is on it.

It is designed that the #2 cylinder crosses over the the #1 cylinder through a heat muff. The heat muff has nipples on each side that connect to the cylinders. The #2 cylinder has a Y where one pipe goes to the muff and the other drops down and exists the center of the cowling. This is the pipe that broke at the Y and is missing.

5532mp.jpg

5xvm02.jpg

Anyone know who makes this system? I'd love to get just the part that is broken and not have to replace the complete system.

Thanks,

Looks like a Vetterman from the Pics. Call them, they are great help but he will scold you about not using Moose Milk.

Lose the wrap. Larry will school you on that too. It is impossible to inspect for cracks with that stuff on. It is also debatable on the benefit, if any...
You should inspect for cracks every time the cowl is off. It should never get
to the point of something "falling off".
Sorry about your troubles. Larry will get you fixed up.

Replace the entire exhaust - the wrap makes the pipe run a lot hotter. Hot steel = weaker steel. Not to mention what happens if oil drips onto that wick.

Take a good look at the motor mount also - maybe it is just reflections on the photo, but it appears there was some sort of work done on it while it was in place, as evidenced by over spray of paint on the firewall.

These are friendly, but strong, suggestions relating to safety. You are lucky there was no fire.

Thanks all...

I will send the pictures to Larry and be prepared for a scolding!!!! :)

There was no damage that I could see from the loss of the pipe.

I, as well as my very conservative A&P good friend, have looked over the engine mount and found nothing wrong.

I will remove all the wrap and inspect the rest of the exhaust. I will discuss a partial or full replacement with Larry.

Any other comments and suggestions are welcome. We all live, and learn, each and every day....

Do yourself a favor and junk that entire exhaust system and get yourself a new one from Vetterman.

Walt, that is what I am leaning towards. I sent Larry an e-mail with photos to learn of his opinion.

Hi Chris,
I hate to dog-pile here, but assuming you get a new exhaust and assuming you don't wrap it I would seriously look into changing the zip ties that are holding the insulation around the fuel line.

I might also suggest getting the old rag/ rubber type flex fuel line replaced with stainless braid over teflon (Aeroquip 666 hose or equivilent) and a lot further from the exhaust.

Hey Gil,

Dog-piling is great!!! That is why I give more that twice the recommend annual contribution to VAF!! :)

What should I replace the zip ties with, safety wire?

The cowl is off, work will be done, the more suggestions I get to improve the installation the better!!

I didn't build the plane, so I have no ego about any changes to make it better. Keep 'em coming. :D

Not a Vetterman exhaust

Larry confirmed (via phone call to me) that it is not a Vetterman exhaust. He thought it might be a Snowline system.

Got an e-mail from Larry...

Totally unexpected. I am impressed, to say the least. I expect to be working with Clint soon to spec a new Vetterman exhaust system. :)

Pipe support

It also looks like there was no support, for the rear of the pipes, so a lot of leverage on that joint.

Peter

Last edited:
Hi Chris,
I hate to dog-pile here, but assuming you get a new exhaust and assuming you don't wrap it I would seriously look into changing the zip ties that are holding the insulation around the fuel line.

Try Stainless steel hose clamps of the correct diameter, that should work just fine.:)

Today I went flying and, to make a long story short, part of my exhaust broke off and departed the aircraft.

I bought the RV-6 and have contacted the builder to try to learn the type of exhaust system that is on it.

It is designed that the #2 cylinder crosses over the the #1 cylinder through a heat muff. The heat muff has nipples on each side that connect to the cylinders. The #2 cylinder has a Y where one pipe goes to the muff and the other drops down and exists the center of the cowling. This is the pipe that broke at the Y and is missing.

5532mp.jpg

5xvm02.jpg

Anyone know who makes this system? I'd love to get just the part that is broken and not have to replace the complete system.

Thanks,

I doubt that is a Vetterman Exhaust. He has an expansion joint with a link near each flange. I can see that it is missing in your broken part.

I doubt that is a Vetterman Exhaust. He has an expansion joint with a link near each flange. I can see that it is missing in your broken part.

Larry Vetterman says it is a Snowline system. ACS sells them and it looks like the photo they have on their page.

Surprised to see the wrap, there is no need for it in a RV.
We are fortunate to have Larry Vetterman and his well tested exhaust systems. No one knows more about it than Larry.
The frightening thing about a failed exhaust is a fire, you were lucky. I had a failure at a weld that wiped out the prop with a Cozy, no fire but it sure shook until the engine was shut down.
Exhaust systems are as critical as fuel lies, they have to be right and you are on the right track now.:)

The moose that was mentioned was a mouse.
Odd name for it.... but mouse milk is good for slip joints, turbo fittings and other exhaust components.
And the fuel line change over is low cost and a great time to do it while fixing the pipes...
From one who has had inflight fire and forced landing.... you got off easy.

One other thing for the new installation is that you can get exhaust heat shields from Spruce and place them strategically on the exhaust system to shield fuel lines or control cables from the exhaust heat. They use stainless band clamps to tighten around the exhaust and are simply metal shields with stand-offs to help protect anything that will be heat degraded.

I love your attitude to piling on:D

Education and Recration!

While you are at it...

Consider closing what appears to be a hole on your filter air box by the carb heat lever. It's sucking warm air from inside your cowl. Cannot tell from pic if hole is there intentionally to allow clearance for the carb heat lever.

Consider closing what appears to be a hole on your filter air box by the carb heat lever. It's sucking warm air from inside your cowl. Cannot tell from pic if hole is there intentionally to allow clearance for the carb heat lever.

Hole is there for lever clearance. It is on my to-do list to address, after the new exhaust, new baffles, and ASI issues!!! :eek:

Thanks for giving the suggestion.

Last edited:
Update...

Just spoke to Clint at Vetterman. New exhaust on order, he thinks he can get it built this week and shipped next week. Just need to work out some carb heat muff details.

Great people to work with!

One other thing for the new installation is that you can get exhaust heat shields from Spruce and place them strategically on the exhaust system to shield fuel lines or control cables from the exhaust heat. They use stainless band clamps to tighten around the exhaust and are simply metal shields with stand-offs to help protect anything that will be heat degraded.

I love your attitude to piling on:D

Education and Recration!

Vans has them also, I've got at least a half dozen installed.

Exhaust for sale

I have a new in box vetterman cross over system for sale fits 320/360 carb.engine for sale $700 plus shipping if interested please call no pm please
909-393 -1538 thanks.
Jerry

Update...

I installed my new Vetterman crossover exhaust today. It was a work of art and fit absolutely perfectly. I was expecting to have to do some kind of mod somewhere, but in fact, I just bolted it on, adjusted the pipes to come out of the cowling where I wanted them, made the hangars to keep them in place, and went flying!!!!

A hearty recommendation for Clint and Larry: quick turnaround, fair price, quality materials, and incredible construction.

Nice. Down for two weeks and back in the air with a better safer machine. That is a win.

Nothing but a Vetterman System for sure... the finest exhaust built hands down and they will always stand behind their product. :)

Back