What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Bellcrank Bolts Too Long?

jacoby

Well Known Member
I tried installing the F-1037A Bellcrank Angles to the F-1035 Battery /Bellcrank Mount. The plans (10-23, figure 3) call for AN3-5A bolts with a single AN960-10 washer.

I ran one down to torque and it's still loose? The shank of the bolt has bottomed out on the nutplate and has left the assembly a few thousandths loose. The bolt sticks out of the nutplate a 1/4" and the washer is free to spin.

Before I go and either stack washers or downsize to a -4A bolt, did I miss something?

Need a picture to say for sure you didn't miss something, but I'd say add a thin washer to the stack or size down. Lot's of places further on in the plans where stuff like this comes up. I do hate those 4 bolts, they are a pain to take in and out multiple times, guess I'm spoiled and like being able to use a ratchet on stuff. ;)

Lynn

Need a picture to say for sure you didn't miss something, but I'd say add a thin washer to the stack or size down. Lot's of places further on in the plans where stuff like this comes up. I do hate those 4 bolts, they are a pain to take in and out multiple times, guess I'm spoiled and like being able to use a ratchet on stuff. ;)

Lynn

Pics:

osv3bHRl.jpg

ZiiuLzPl.jpg

The angle and plate measure ~1/8" thick and there is ~1/4" of shank with the washer in place. I'm pretty sure these need to be changed to -4A or one or two more washers added.

Is the angle the correct thickness? I thought that it was .125 angles for that location? Could just be a different model. In all cases use the bolt that is the correct length, there a a few, very few, times when the plans might not be correct.

Looks like you have it right. Are the 5A bolts to long for the battery tray as well?

Is the angle the correct thickness? I thought that it was .125 angles for that location? Could just be a different model. In all cases use the bolt that is the correct length, there a a few, very few, times when the plans might not be correct.

The bellcrank angle is not fabricated from AA stock. It's a bent and punched part that comes in the kit.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how this callout could be correct.

Looks like you have it right. Are the 5A bolts to long for the battery tray as well?

They'll work (it wont bottom out) but a -4A would probably be better. There is another 1/16" of material to go through to attach those bolts. That'll leave about 6 threads showing vs the 8 I have now.

I heard back from Van?s. This bolt call out has been flagged for review. I?m going to most likely replace with shorter bolts.

After further thought I added a washer. A -4 length bolt only has 1/8" of grip (which is the material thickness). With a washer and the material I'm at 3/16". So two washers and a -5 length (which has 1/4" grip). A -4 might work with a light washer but it'll be marginal (about one thread in the hole).

Back