What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glareshield

Considering ordering the glareshield kit for my RV-12is to help reduce the amount of reflection from the Dynon HDX onto the canopy at night. Has anyone installed this "post build"? How was the process?

Thanks!

The glareshield installation is quite straightforward. Mine fit "out of the box" without any trimming. Installation steps included:

1) Lightly sand to promote paint adherence.
2) Paint top flat black. I prepped and painted the underside the same color as my interior. Alternatively you could go with flat black on both sides.
3) Install with a few rivets and ProSeal (details are included in the instructions)
4) Add rubber edging to aft edge of glareshield. This was not included with the glareshield. I used rubber u-channel from aircraft spruce (Part# 05-02200) which provides limited impact protection. You might consider something with more cushion.

Once painted, took about an hour to install.

Very easy, no trimming needed, I used low pile black carpet marine grade for boat trailer bunks instead of black paint. If you put sealant along center section of glair shield like instructions say, its not coming off without damaging it, I suggest 2 way tape...

I mounted a RAM ball mount on mine to hold my iPad Mini. If you are going to do that be sure to do it before installing the glare shield as there is little access on the top side after installation due to the slope of the canopy. Also make sure to put an aluminum backing plate on the opposite surface of the shielde when you bolt the ball on. That will distribute the bending load from the load of the mount arm so the shield won’t be damaged.

I used clear RTV as opposed to Pro Seal and a rivet every 6”. Have had no issues in over 7 years.

I wanted to illustrate the difference of a flat black paint (in this case, "Rustoleum Matte Finish" which claims a "Low Profile Non-Reflective Finish") from the local Home Depot

vs.

KOYO Ultra Light Absorbing Flock Sheet (1 400mm x 950mm sheet needed) available on Amazon. Along with some 3M spray adhesive. There is just enough material to cover both sides of the shield, as long as you take your time to lay it out correctly.

Additionally, I ordered Glare Shield Edge Trim 60 for $16 which put a nice looking edge onto the glare shield.

Attachments

• IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 444
Last edited:
I wanted to illustrate the difference of a flat black paint (in this case, "Rustoleum Matte Finish" which claims a "Low Profile Non-Reflective Finish") from the local Home Depot

vs.

KOYO Ultra Light Absorbing Flock Sheet (1 400mm x 950mm sheet needed) available on Amazon. Along with some 3M spray adhesive. There is just enough material to cover both sides of the shield, as long as you take your time to lay it out correctly.

Additionally, I ordered Glare Shield Edge Trim 54 for $20 which put a nice looking edge onto the glare shield.

Rob, can you provide a link to the Ultra Light Absorbing Flock Sheet please? I've tried every possible search term on Amazon and can't find it. Thanks.

I would like to canvas opinions as to whether people have found the glareshield to be a worthwhile addition to the 12.

If someone could post a couple of photo's of the finished glareshield in an aircraft that would be excellent.

I have a glareshield that I have never fitted. Not sure if it helps in bright sunlight enough to be worth fitting.

In addition I am also intrigued re attaching a RAM ball to it, as per Rich Schaller above and would appreciate a photo of that in situ, if that is not too greedy of me!
John

Last edited:
I would like to canvas opinions as to whether people have found the glareshield to be a worthwhile addition to the 12.

If someone could post a couple of photo's of the finished glareshield in an aircraft that would be excellent.

I have a glareshield that I have never fitted. Not sure if it helps in bright sunlight enough to be worth fitting.

In addition I am also intrigued re attaching a RAM ball to it, as per Rich Schaller above and would appreciate a photo of that in situ, if that is not too greedy of me!
John

Daytime effect is irrelevant for me. Night ops is when the glareshield would be beneficial. The HDX, depending on brightness reflects off the canopy. Glareshield would prevent this.

Michael
Thanks for the reply.
I just re read my post.
It reads like I am trying to hijack your thread.
My apologies.
John

The glareshield gave me a place to mount my iPad mini on a RAM mount. That alone made it worthwhile to me since I have a D180/D100 combo. The iPad adds an ADS-B In display and synthetic vision which you Skyview guys have built in.

Factory Glareshield

FYI this is what Van's uses on their factory Glareshield.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231003-100458.jpg
    Screenshot_20231003-100458.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot_20231005-114058~2.png
    Screenshot_20231005-114058~2.png
    600.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot_20231005-115422.png
    Screenshot_20231005-115422.png
    1,007.8 KB · Views: 129
At another builder’s suggestion, I applied the loop side of 4” self-adhesive hook and loop fabric. Found the loop side only on eBay. Get 6’ if you decide to go that route. I started with flat-black hammered metal spray, but still got reflected glare from the paint. I also drilled and tapped for #6 screws to secure it instead of the rivets and adhesive suggested by Van’s. I’m glad I did as I’ve had it off several times. And note I also have the canopy side covers too so secured the glare shield over the side moldings. I’m very pleased with the results.

Attachments

• IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1248.jpg
    IMG_1248.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 130
Ta Dah!!

John.