What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB-00005 released: Inspect and replace original RV-12 exhaust pipes

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Today we published a new RV-12 service bulletin, SB-00005. This document applies only to the original/legacy RV-12 with the Rotax 912 ULS engine. It does not apply to the RV-12iS aircraft.

SB-00005 supersedes and replaces a prior service bulletin, SB 19-03-22. Regardless of whether one has previously made the changes described in SB 19-03-22, you will need to perform the SB-00005 inpsection and take any necessary actions. If you've made the SB 19-03-22 change in the past, you should also read the note below regarding an available price reduction on the SB-00005 kit for people who have purchased a replacement SB-00017-1.

This service bulletin requires inspection of the #2 cylinder exhaust pipe to determine if the installed pipe is affected by this bulletin. If it is an affected part, the bulletin then requires inspection of the EX-00017 or EX-00017-1 exhaust pipe. If cracks are found, the owner/maintainer must replace both the EX-00017/00017-1 and the EX-00015 pipes, as described in the document.

Becuase we have observed multiple instances of cracking of the affected exhaust pipes at a weld joint, and because a broken pipe could potentially result in damage and/or introduction of harmful gases into the cockpit, the bulletin requires that either a) the pipes be replaced, or b) that they be inspected for cracks every 25 hours and a carbon monoxide (CO) detection device be used in the aircraft. Van's has a kit for installation of the Aithre CO detector, or the owner may choose to use another aviation-appropriate CO detector option.

The SB-00005 kit, which contains the necessary parts and hardware, is available to order from Van's. It includes new exhaust pipes/tubes for both forward cylinders as well as replacement exhaust nuts. The new EX-00015-1 is a two-part pipe assembly that incorporates a slip joint. The new EX-00017-2 is a one-part pipe assembly without a weld seam in the affected location. Note that you must use both of these new parts together (do not install just one or the other).

Note to owners who have previously purchased a EX-00017-1 replacement pipe from the earlier service bulletin: If you have purchased and received an EX-00017-1 pipe assembly in the past, please contact Van's directly to place your order. Van's will reduce the prices of the SB-00005 kit by 50% for people in this group. This is financially equivalent to receiving the newest #2 cylinder replacement pipe at no charge. Note that Van's does not mark up SB kits when issues for safety reasons - we sell them at approximately our cost (and in some cases at a significant loss). That is the case with this SB kit.

Note to all owners of the original/legacy RV-12 aircraft: Van's will also be releasing an entirely new exhaust system for the original/legacy RV-12 later this year. It will be constructued using certain parts common to the RV-12iS exhaust, plus certain new parts required to fit the legacy engine and aircraft. Obviously, the cost of a complete replacement exhaust system will be significantly higher than the cost of replacing two pipes, but we wanted to be sure to inform owners now of the future option so they can take it into account in the decision process. If you continue to fly and inspect every 25 hours, be sure to install a CO detector, per the service bulletin.

Greg --

Will the "entirely new exhaust system for the original/legacy RV-12" incorporate the fix to move the original muffler further back away from the oil cooler? Estimated cost?

Last edited:
Greg --

Will the "entirely new exhaust system for the original/legacy RV-12" incorporate the fix to move the original muffler further back away from the oil cooler? Estimated cost?

I don't think the muffler can be moved rearward - it would interfere with the crankcase oil drain elbow. Maybe if a banjo fitting is incorporated...

Last edited:
EX-00015-1 slip joint

It seems the EX-00015-1 slip joint is in reverse. Shouldn't it be male into female so the exhaust fumes flow past the joint? Not female into male where the fumes can come out of the joint seam.

Greg,

Appreciate the information and discounted price for those of us who have installed the EX-00017-1. Can you elaborate on what problems/concerns the new exhaust system will address beyond those covered by installing the new exhaust pipes for cylinders 1 and 2? This will help us better understand which replacement option to choose.

Thanks

If the EXH 1202 requires no replacements why don't they just replace the EX 0017's with the EXH 1202?

Appreciate the information and discounted price for those of us who have installed the EX-00017-1. Can you elaborate on what problems/concerns the new exhaust system will address beyond those covered by installing the new exhaust pipes for cylinders 1 and 2? This will help us better understand which replacement option to choose.

The new system will use the Rotax 912iS muffler, with the exhaust exit pipe located in a position appropriate to the legacy RV-12. This muffler’s ball-joint connections (where the pipes attach with springs) are of a more robust design. It weighs 1.15 pounds more than the legacy exhaust system. And it sounds nice. :)

The new exhaust that we will release later this year uses the same aft placement for oil cooling performance reasons as the most-recent legacy exhaust system. The new exhaust system will be called EX-00044 and is based upon the 912iS exhaust system. It will sell for approximately $1800.00. This is the same price as the current 912iS exhaust system used on the RV-12iS.

If the EXH 1202 requires no replacements why don't they just replace the EX 0017's with the EXH 1202?

The EXH 1202 is a part that was included in the original, first-generation RV-12 exhaust system, which had the muffler located closer to the oil cooler. That system is no longer produced, and was replaced some time ago by the second-generation RV-12 exhaust, which included the EX-00017 pipe and relocated the muffler further aft to improve oil cooling performance. The parts are not compatible nor interchangeable and it is valuable and important to retain the distance between the oil cooler and the muffler.

Sounds like they went to a 1 piece part again for headers for cyls 1 and 2. No welded together segments?

The Cylinder #1 pipe incorporates two slip joints and no welded together segments. There are no joints or welded together segments in the #2 pipe. This is the case on both the retrofit pipes we released this week, as well as the to-be-released EX-00044 exhaust system.

It seems the EX-00015-1 slip joint is in reverse. Shouldn't it be male into female so the exhaust fumes flow past the joint? Not female into male where the fumes can come out of the joint seam.

The direction of the joints was examined during design. We determined the position and direction of the joints was not a factor given the flow volume and pressures of the system. Direction of the slip joints in this system does not affect performance, flow or leak rate.

Last edited:
I’m pretty good at cyphering Service Bulletins and Airworthiness Directives (back when I owned a CUB) but this SB is a bit of a head scratcher. Sort of like a Chinese menu where you take one from column A and two from column B.

My RV-12 is a very early SN with original exhaust. Both front stacks are one-piece mandrel bent tubing with no welded seams so I guess I have EXH-1202 #2 Exhaust, and if that’s the case, I reinstall the cowling.

I’m trying to figure out why there is so many iterations. I think Van’s moved the muffler back and probably down at some point to increase clearance to the oil cooler. What I’m puzzled about is why didn’t they stay with a one-piece mandrel bent design? The later design exhaust stacks look kind of hideous...

I agree with you Jim. It is a head scratcher. A chart or graph is needed
with columns and rows that contain part numbers and characteristics.

When exactly will EX-00044 be released? I am about to order the power plant for my RV-12, but don't want to order something that is going to be superceded as soon as it is delivered. I suffered that fate when the new nose wheel leg was released last year 😭

Another question... for those of us with early SN RV-12's where no SB's are relevant: Are replacement exhaust stacks still available for the original design if needed? What if I need to replace a worn exhaust stack in the future - am I saddled with buying entire new exhaust system if I only need to replace a single exhaust stack? Now we're talking several Social Security checks...

This comment has me concerned... The EXH 1202 is a part that was included in the original, first-generation RV-12 exhaust system, which had the muffler located closer to the oil cooler. That system is no longer produced, and was replaced some time ago by the second-generation RV-12 exhaust, which included the EX-00017 pipe and relocated the muffler further aft to improve oil cooling performance. The parts are not compatible nor interchangeable and it is valuable and important to retain the distance between the oil cooler and the muffler.

When exactly will EX-00044 be released? I am about to order the power plant for my RV-12, but don't want to order something that is going to be superceded as soon as it is delivered. I suffered that fate when the new nose wheel leg was released last year ��

i had already ordered my power plant kit and called yesterday. i had the option of delaying shipment of the kit til new exhaust was available sometime this year or having kit shipped without exhaust and pay for shipping of a back ordered new exhaust when it became available.
i choose the 2nd option
Alan

Last edited:
Am I good?

So I happened to have cowling off to do an oil change and check out my exhaust pipe. Found a broken muffler spring, but that's a separate annoyance.

Anyway, based on the pic attached, I *think* I fall into the "not affected" group. Agree?

Thanks!
John

Attachments

• 20200827_144921436_iOS.jpg
    20200827_144921436_iOS.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 391
just started the decision process
I am curious if Van's also provides a discount on the EX-00044 for those customers who purchased EX-00017-1 last year.
I am also very unsure if the added value (better sound, improved robustness) justifies $1800 plus 1.2 lb weight?

Ok, I'm officially confused. Please excuse the newbie question. So, which is Cylinder #2?

I had thought it was the front right cylinder when sitting in the airplane, but after looking at the Rotax Manual, I think it's actually the front left.

What's confusing me is in the SB on page 4, there is a picture of the new EX-00015-1 that is showing the #1 exhaust, NOT #2 as would be expected. If, of course, cylinder #1 is the front right.

Here are my 2 pics. Now, I'm thinking I actually need the SB00005 kit.

Attachments

• 20200827_144921436_iOS.jpg
    20200827_144921436_iOS.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 356
  • 20200827_144938302_iOS.jpg
    20200827_144938302_iOS.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 346
Ok, I'm officially confused. Please excuse the newbie question. So, which is Cylinder #2?

I had thought it was the front right cylinder when sitting in the airplane, but after looking at the Rotax Manual, I think it's actually the front left.

What's confusing me is in the SB on page 4, there is a picture of the new EX-00015-1 that is showing the #1 exhaust, NOT #2 as would be expected. If, of course, cylinder #1 is the front right.

Here are my 2 pics. Now, I'm thinking I actually need the SB00005 kit.

Yes, you are affected. You have the reinforcement tab welded on the joint. Needs to be replaced.

Beads of that high temp RTV need to run down every single coil of that spring, in between the gaps in the springs. 3 or 4 ribbons, 90 degrees around.

Amazingly, I had planned to order the engine kit today until I heard about this new exhaust. For new kits that come with the new exhaust, what will the price difference be?

Jerre

Edit: I ordered the engine yesterday and was assured that it would have the new pipes.

Last edited:
My RV-12 is a very early SN with original exhaust. Both front stacks are one-piece mandrel bent tubing with no welded seams so I guess I have EXH-1202 #2 Exhaust, and if that’s the case, I reinstall the cowling.

I’m trying to figure out why there is so many iterations. I think Van’s moved the muffler back and probably down at some point to increase clearance to the oil cooler. What I’m puzzled about is why didn’t they stay with a one-piece mandrel bent design? The later design exhaust stacks look kind of hideous...

We don't make the exhaust tubes to be attractive. :) The required geometry did not allow the one-piece design at the time. We have since changed tube bending technology and vendors to provide a bent tube with different geometry and no weld seam. The tube geometry is also different.

When exactly will EX-00044 be released? I am about to order the power plant for my RV-12, but don't want to order something that is going to be superseded as soon as it is delivered. I suffered that fate when the new nose wheel leg was released last year.

This is an example of where we can't always provide all of the info people want. Darned if we do, darned if we don't sort of situation. If we announce something's coming people will of course want more details, and if we don't pre-announce there are some who will be upset that we didn't say anything. In this case, based on the specific context we've announced ahead of time that the new system is coming, so people can have that information in the context of determining what to do. Please understand that these assemblies and manufacturing schedules are fairly complex and it's a work in progress to get the parts scheduled and manufactured - so we do not yet have a specific release date for the new system. That's all the info we have to share right now. As soon as we know a release timeframe for the new exhaust system, we will of course let people know (here and elsewhere).

Another question... for those of us with early SN RV-12's where no SB's are relevant: Are replacement exhaust stacks still available for the original design if needed? What if I need to replace a worn exhaust stack in the future - am I saddled with buying entire new exhaust system if I only need to replace a single exhaust stack? Now we're talking several Social Security checks...

Replacement exhausts stacks for that original exhaust system have never been available stand-alone. We never sold individual tubes for the first version of the RV-12 exhaust system. It was sold only as a complete system because there was not a way to reliably build retrofittable individual tubes (the system was built as an assembly in a jig, where parts had to be assembled together to match/fit each other). And that system was deprecated some time ago when the second-gen system was produced.

just started the decision process
I am curious if Van's also provides a discount on the EX-00044 for those customers who purchased EX-00017-1 last year.
I am also very unsure if the added value (better sound, improved robustness) justifies $1800 plus 1.2 lb weight?

We do not plan to discount the EX-00044 system when it is released. The new exhaust system will be an option for people who wish to install it, and it will become the only system available to order as a complete replacement shoudl you need to get a new complete exhaust. The two new forward tubes are available now for replacement use, and we plan to continue to provide those two parts as long as needed to install on the approximately 200 affected installations that are in the field.

Last edited:
I have two questions about the required inspection:

1. Is it necessary to remove the lower cowl in order to do the inspection, or can it be done by removing only the upper cowl?

2. If the lower cowl must be removed, is it necessary to unbolt the radiator (or oil cooler) that's attached to the lower cowl, in order to get the cowl far enough removed to do the inspection?

I have two questions about the required inspection:

1. Is it necessary to remove the lower cowl in order to do the inspection, or can it be done by removing only the upper cowl?

2. If the lower cowl must be removed, is it necessary to unbolt the radiator (or oil cooler) that's attached to the lower cowl, in order to get the cowl far enough removed to do the inspection?

Check your logs, and see if you ordered a new pipe referencing having to get new pipes after March of 2019, or if the previous owner references it as needing 25 hour inspections or was the part replaced. You should have all the references on file and in the planes log books, something should have been written down about this, before you bought the plane.

Or remove the top cowling and shine a flashlight down there and look around.

Last edited:
Check your logs, and see if you ordered a new pipe referencing having to get new pipes after March of 2019, or if the previous owner references it as needing 25 hour inspections or was the part replaced. You should have all the references on file and in the planes log books, something should have been written down about this, before you bought the plane.

Or remove the top cowling and shine a flashlight down there and look around.

I have the Kit Builder's Manual and the plane's Logs. They show that: the plane has the EX-00017 pipe, so it needs to be inspected and possibly replaced; and the builder did the inspection required by SB 19-03-22 and found no cracks.

So SB-00005 requires my plane to be inspected again. The questions I'm hoping to get an answer to are:
- What will I see if I remove only the top cowling and "shine a flashlight down there"? Will I able to see whether the welds have cracked?
- Or will I have to remove the bottom cowl to see that?
- And if I have to remove the bottom cowl, will that require me to unbolt the radiator too?

Knock on wood I have no cracks to date. If I ever find any I plan on either a weld overlay or a welded doubler. That TIG setup in my hangar has been gathering dust since my previous project. I have used this method successfully on my Cherokee in the past.

I have the Kit Builder's Manual and the plane's Logs. They show that: the plane has the EX-00017 pipe, so it needs to be inspected and possibly replaced; and the builder did the inspection required by SB 19-03-22 and found no cracks.

So SB-00005 requires my plane to be inspected again. The questions I'm hoping to get an answer to are:
- What will I see if I remove only the top cowling and "shine a flashlight down there"? Will I able to see whether the welds have cracked?
- Or will I have to remove the bottom cowl to see that?
- And if I have to remove the bottom cowl, will that require me to unbolt the radiator too?

OK, I'll jump in here with bottom cowl experience but you will need to decide for yourself if the flashlight look is adequate for the inspection. I don't think you can see the pipe well enough without removing the bottom cowl.
Removing and replacing the bottom cowl can be frustrating and a PITA. It would be very helpful to have help from someone who has experience with the -12 cowl. You need two people anyway. Before starting I put 2" painters tape on the edges of the fuselage where the cowl mates up to protect against scratching the paint up. Also at the nose behind the spinner and on the back perimeter of the spinner itself. You do have to remove the two AN3 bolts in the front air intake that secures the oil cooler. Then with someone on each side remove the 4 pins securing the bottom cowl and lower the cowl slowly, clear the exhaust pipe and lower it until it can be moved forward and away. To reinstall, slide the lower cowl under the engine and get the exhaust pipe into its opening, raise the front of the cowl up under the spinner and hold it steady. You then have to reach down under cylinder #1 and place the oil cooler onto its locating studs on the cowl while your helper is steadying the cowl. It is helpful to get a least one of the oil cooler bolts in at this time so it doesn't come off the locating studs. Then carefully raise the cowl and line up the hinges on the starboard side and get the top short pin in place. Then bring the port side of the cowl up carefully to the coolant radiator until the rubber seal in tight against the coolant radiator, line up the hinges and get the top short pin in on that side.
I have to say again it can be frustrating. Once you have done it a couple times you know what works but it is not an easy job. Work carefully, be patient and don't damage anything or scratch your paint job.

Last edited:
Great post about the lower cowl Tony. I also use the painters tape with great success. The previous owner also told me to put an old sock around the exhaust pipe coming out of the cowl. That too will help to minimize the scratching and chipping of the cowl.

Tony's lower cowl tips are spot on -- use of tape is good!. I also drape a towel or thin sheet of plastic over the top of the nose gear strut fairing to prevent scratches. I also use an awl to gently align and center the two top oil cooler bolt holes prior to inserting the two AN 3 bolts -- a touch of grease on the lower cowl's two lower oil cooler attachment spools helps to ease the oil cooler into position.

Tony, Thanks very much for your description of what needs to be done. It answered my questions perfectly, though it wasn't the answer I was hoping for. I helped my mechanic reattach the lower cowl several months ago. He did it just as you described, and it was just as difficult, and frustrating from my perspective, as you said it would be.

Tony, Thanks very much for your description of what needs to be done. It answered my questions perfectly, though it wasn't the answer I was hoping for. I helped my mechanic reattach the lower cowl several months ago. He did it just as you described, and it was just as difficult, and frustrating from my perspective, as you said it would be.

You might be able to go in with just the top cowling removed, if you can find someone with a boroscope camera, to take a look down there, for welding on the #2 header, that you could borrow.

You might be able to go in with just the top cowling removed, if you can find someone with a boroscope camera, to take a look down there, for welding on the #2 header, that you could borrow.
This seems a good suggestion. I just looked online, and there are several inexpensive borescopes that display what they see over an iPhone.

Unrelated: Why is your plane a "Blessing in disguise" and who is "DD"? Send me a private email, if you like. I'm curious.

Removing and replacing the bottom cowl can be frustrating and a PITA. It would be very helpful to have help from someone who has experience with the -12 cowl. You need two people anyway.

Hi Tony, great write-up on removing lower cowl. A word of warning to all that are interested in a 3-blade prop (I love mine but did not realize that the lower cowl would now be twice as difficult to remove/install). Now I definitely need one or two helpers, there is always at least one prop blade in the way. You have the added stress of trying not to damage a prop blade and the cowling itself will barely clear. I used to just dislike removing the lower cowl, now I dread the process. Oh well, just a warning :)

Has anyone ordered the replacement kit, and if so, what was the estimated date of shipment? (I ask, because when Van's told us to replace the nose gear leg, it took months to get delivery, and I'm wondering whether the same thing will be true of replacement exhaust tubes.)

Has anyone ordered the replacement kit, and if so, what was the estimated date of shipment? (I ask, because when Van's told us to replace the nose gear leg, it took months to get delivery, and I'm wondering whether the same thing will be true of replacement exhaust tubes.)

We were able to prepare 100 of the kits to be available on the day we released the service bulletin. There are currently 67 in stock that are not already allocated to orders. We will make more as required per our forecasting.

Also, the process of making these exhaust pipes and assembling the kits with the hardware, while time consuming, is something that is done almost entirely in-house. In the case of the nose gear legs, it is a much more complex and time-consuming process involving multiple vendors and manufacturing steps. So, not really a comparable manufacturing situation. And, of course, you’re always welcome to call us and inquire.

Oops! Went back and looked at the SB, and the original mandrel bent tubes are exempt. For once it pays to be obsolete!

We were able to prepare 100 of the kits to be available on the day we released the service bulletin. There are currently 67 in stock that are not already allocated to orders. We will make more as required per our forecasting.

Also, the process of making these exhaust pipes and assembling the kits with the hardware, while time consuming, is something that is done almost entirely in-house. In the case of the nose gear legs, it is a much more complex and time-consuming process involving multiple vendors and manufacturing steps. So, not really a comparable manufacturing situation. And, of course, you’re always welcome to call us and inquire.

A tip of the hat for Van’s: I ordered the kit on August 31st in the afternoon, and it arrived on September 5th in the morning. Thank you Van’s.

A question for those of you who have replaced the exhaust tubes or had your mechanic do so:

Is it really necessary to replace EX-00015 when EX-00017 is replaced?

Here's why I ask:

I had my mechanic replace the exhaust tubes that came in the kit. There were two tubes in the kit: EX-00017-2 and EX-00015-1. When the mechanic finished the job and I picked up my plane, the mechanic gave me the old EX-00017 that he did replace, and the new EX-00015-1 that he did not replace. The old EX-00015 is still in my plane.

I asked him why he didn't replace 00015 too, and I showed him the places in the SB where it says replace 00017 "AND" 00015. He responded that 00015-1 wouldn't fit, and that he did online research and found that 00015 is not supposed to be replaced on a plane like mine. My plane is a 2018 RV-12 ELSA with a Rotax 912ULS engine.

I'm not a mechanic. I didn't even build the plane; I bought it from the builder. So I didn't want to argue with my mechanic, right then and there. I put the plane back in my hangar, came home, reread the SB a few more times looking, without success, for something to back up the mechanic, and then attempted to find something online that says that 00015 does not have to be replaced. I can't find anything.

My mechanic is gone for the day, so I haven't been able to reach him to ask him exactly what he found online. I now have such a knot in my stomach that I'm asking if any of you have any idea what my mechanic was talking about.

A question for those of you who have replaced the exhaust tubes or had your mechanic do so:

Is it really necessary to replace EX-00015 when EX-00017 is replaced

Yes. It's required per the bulletin to replace both tubes when you order the kit. Every time. I fail to understand what mechanic could do research, given the service bulletin that's been published, and determine otherwise, as long as your #2 tube was in scope (and if it wasn't he should have replaced nothing).

To be sure: You have an original RV-12 aircraft (as opposed to an RV-12iS), with the 912ULS engine? If so, your exhaust should fit with both tubes just fine and if your #2 tube is in scope per the SB, both are to be replaced.

Please post a photo of your EX-00017-x tube that your mechanic replaced. I assume your mechanic returned it to you, one would hope.

Yes. It's required per the bulletin to replace both tubes when you order the kit. Every time. I fail to understand what mechanic could do research, given the service bulletin that's been published, and determine otherwise, as long as your #2 tube was in scope (and if it wasn't he should have replaced nothing).

To be sure: You have an original RV-12 aircraft (as opposed to an RV-12iS), with the 912ULS engine? If so, your exhaust should fit with both tubes just fine and if your #2 tube is in scope per the SB, both are to be replaced.

Please post a photo of your EX-00017-x tube that your mechanic replaced. I assume your mechanic returned it to you, one would hope.

Greg,

My plane is an original RV-12 (not an RV-12iS).

The plane does have a 912ULS engine (not a fuel injected engine).

Here are photos of the EX-00017 tube my mechanic replaced. (I can't tell whether it has a crack. The only thing that looks like it could be a crack is the small gap near the mid-point of the curve that bridges the weld of the two parts that make up the curve.)

Finally, thanks Greg for your amazingly fast response -- just 16 minutes, after business hours, no less!

Lon

Attachments

• IMG_3988.jpg
    IMG_3988.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_3989.jpg
    IMG_3989.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 249
Greg,

My plane is an original RV-12 (not an RV-12iS).

The plane does have a 912ULS engine (not a fuel injected engine).

Here are photos of the EX-00017 tube my mechanic replaced. (I can't tell whether it has a crack. The only thing that looks like it could be a crack is the small gap near the mid-point of the curve that bridges the weld of the two parts that make up the curve.)

I don't see a crack in the photos, but closer inspection than a pic is needed. At any rate, you're replacing it so not really relevant.

I'd be curious what research your mechanic did, since the SB states in three places, "Replace the EX-00017/EX-00017-1 with the EX-00017-2 AND the EX-00015 with the EX-00015-1." One thing is clear: If both tubes were not replced, your aircraft is not compliant with SB-00005 and cannot be logged as such. In addition, SB-00005 has been contradicted, which is a problem. If only one of the two tubes was installed, the aircraft is in an unsupported configuration and we expect you would encounter and exhaust failure at some point in time if you perate it in the unsupported combination/configuration.

If your mechanic needs assitance researching this, they can of course email [email protected] or call us during support hours (note that we will be closed on Thursday, though). And, I just don't see how an A&P could determine that the decision to use one pipe and not the other required one could possibly be considered an acceptable configuration, given the published service documentation that specifically governs the use of these parts. It *is* an experiemntal aircraft, so one can legally configure it pretty much however one wants, but in this case it seems to me to be ill-advised.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/sb-00005/

At any rate, hope that helps!

Finally, thanks Greg for your amazingly fast response -- just 16 minutes, after business hours, no less!

Hey, the world is burning down all around us here this week, so you maybe got a ittle lucky with the timing. :) Seriosuly though, this particular one caused me a bit of concern so I wanted to be sure to jump on it quickly.

Replacing exhausts

Hi all
I just complied to SB-00005 and exchanged both exhausts. Really nice fit and a great job of Van‘s.
However, after tightend the nuts and installed the springs, I have noticed a little play on the muffler tube when wiggle it forth and back. The play ist approx 2/16“. I think this is because of the EX-00015 which now consists of 3 parts.
Question. Ist that play on the muffler normal after the installation? Does anybody of you noticed this as well? My previous installation did not have this effect.
Thanks a lot.

Tony,
You are an artist with words, Sir! Your description/procedure exactly describes what has worked for me. Since new I have made a couple of minor mods that further facilitate the remove and install processes. First, I changed the cooling duct to move the radiator forward about 1 inch (this was before VANs changed the exhaust). This should be no issue for newer kits. Second, I "opened up" and smoothed the "V" at the bottom of the radiator mount. Another commentor mentioned lubricating the nylon cones which may help but I'd be cautious about what to use so close to the muffler. Third, I "shaved" some material off the tops of the nylon cones because I had a LOT of difficulty raising the radiator enough to clear them. there just isn't a good way to grasp it to maneuver. Again, the newer aircraft may have less on an issue.

I also found that I could just barely get my left arm down past the right side exhaust to pull up on one of the oil cooler lines and raise it a bit. As mentioned, I too insert an awl to "capture" the radiator once in position, but man BE CAREFUL you don't put a hole where you don't want one! like in your hand, or in the radiator.

Lastly (back to the exhaust discussion) I highly recommend removing BOTH cowls to get a good look around. Scopes and mirrors are fine and have their place, but nothing beats getting your eyeballs in there. With the cowls off, there are other things one will see and learn about the plane and it's condition. It gets easier with practice and is well worth the effort. Might as well get good at it!
2-cents,
Dave

When does the Powerplant Kit get the new Exhaust?

Does anyone know when the RV-12 Classic Powerplant Kit gets the new Exhaust System?

I ask because my communication with Van’s leads to me believe that kits are shipped with the parts that current as of the crating date.

These leaves me uncertain when I order the Powerplant Kit what exhaust system it will come with. Obviously, my the goal is to get the new exhaust system. Even if costs additional shipping / crating.

Thanks.
Brett
Columbus, IN
Finishing the Finish Kit

Does anyone know when the RV-12 Classic Powerplant Kit gets the new Exhaust System?

I ask because my communication with Van’s leads to me believe that kits are shipped with the parts that current as of the crating date.

These leaves me uncertain when I order the Powerplant Kit what exhaust system it will come with. Obviously, my the goal is to get the new exhaust system. Even if costs additional shipping / crating.

Thanks.
Brett
Columbus, IN
Finishing the Finish Kit

I recently ordered the power plant from Vans with the provisio that it was not to be shipped until the new Exhaust system is available. I was "bitten" last year by ordering and getting the finishing kit with the old style nose wheel leg.

Note to all owners of the original/legacy RV-12 aircraft: Van's will also be releasing an entirely new exhaust system for the original/legacy RV-12 later this year. It will be constructued using certain parts common to the RV-12iS exhaust, plus certain new parts required to fit the legacy engine and aircraft. Obviously, the cost of a complete replacement exhaust system will be significantly higher than the cost of replacing two pipes, but we wanted to be sure to inform owners now of the future option so they can take it into account in the decision process. If you continue to fly and inspect every 25 hours, be sure to install a CO detector, per the service bulletin.

Any word / rumors on when the new system will be available? My A/C is going down for its annual next week. I would put the new system in if it were available.

Any word / rumors on when the new system will be available? My A/C is going down for its annual next week. I would put the new system in if it were available.

I would be interested in some update on this as well. Any info would assist in planning.

It appears EX-00044, the new RV-12 exhaust system based on the 12i system is now available from Vans. $1800. Anyone going to give it a try?

It appears EX-00044, the new RV-12 exhaust system based on the 12i system is now available from Vans. $1800. Anyone going to give it a try?

We have published SL-00021, which specifies and allows (for SLSA purposes) the installation of the new EX-00044 exhaust system on the original model RV-12.

We have a small number of these exhaust systems produced and available and we will continue to produce more as needed, but there will be lead times associated with that production schedule. The change to this system is completely optional - it is certainly not a requirement. The cost of the new exhaust system as of today is $1800.00.

Thanks Greg.

If I purchase EX-00044 for the 12, can I assume I am not effected by SB-00013 for the 12i...given the system is based on the 12i's system?

Second, I just checked the new KIA changes for Section 48 and they still have the old system depicted and is dated 2015. Am I just ahead of you?

We have published SL-00021, which specifies and allows (for SLSA purposes) the installation of the new EX-00044 exhaust system on the original model RV-12.

We have a small number of these exhaust systems produced and available and we will continue to produce more as needed, but there will be lead times associated with that production schedule. The change to this system is completely optional - it is certainly not a requirement. The cost of the new exhaust system as of today is $1800.00.

What is the clearance between the muffler and the oil cooler on RV-12 Legacy model planes with the 912 ULS, and does it finally resolve the oil cooling problems when operating at gross, climbing at Vy and the oil temperature finally staying below 230 F when climbing at air temps above 25C.

The original muffler design allows at most an inch of clearance between the back of the oil cooler and the muffler, in current configuration.

Is the newer exhaust system as quiet or more quiet than the original muffler? I like the whisper of my current exhaust system, just not testing it's oil cooling capabilities when it's above 20 to 22C.

Back