What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glareshield finish

EastCoastFlyer

Friend
I?m in the process of putting in the optional glareshield. Does anybody have any cool ideas on what to paint it with and/or how to finish the aft edge?

aepamh.jpg

I bought the edge from McMaster Carr
The carpet is from Flightlines Interior

I also painted the underside the same as my interior

I have not fitted the glareshield yet.
Not sure if it is an advantage over standard non glareshield panel.

You want a flat finish paint to avoid glare. I did the 6 with rattle can flat black. While it looks good, the paint burnishes very easy with any rubbing. I learned a trick for my 10. I used SPI black epoxy primer. Put first coat on as normal. For the second coat, I thinned it 50% with reducer. This leaves something between flat and egg shell finish that is tough as nails and won't burnish.

I got some thin and small rubber edge material from Mcmaster Carr for 1/32" material and it holds nicely and looks good.

Larry

I painted mine flat black and then bought some 5/16? fuel line from AutoZone, slit it the full length with a razor and glued it to the trailing edge with 3M 1099. I think it looks pretty snappy.

As for bare vs having the shield, I highly recommend it. It does exactly what its purpose is - keeps the glare off of the panel displays, most notably during daylight when the sun is to the side or behind you.

I used black automotive sub speaker cloth. It's very black, thin, easy to cut and fit into the small corners. Use a small amount of spray adhesive and lay it down. Pretty easy. Here's the link to the item on Amazon. For the edge, I used a very nice one from Classic Aero Designs. Those guys are great--highly recommended.

Back