What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 vs RV7? Major Difference?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hi all,

Im a newby to the Vans world and currently look for a plane (RV4/6/7 are in the mix) and want to know if there are any major difference (side from the rudder) between the 6 and 7?

Thanks in advance and pardon my ignorance.

Thanks,
Dan

Hi all,

Im a newby to the Vans world and currently look for a plane (RV4/6/7 are in the mix) and want to know if there are any major difference (side from the rudder) between the 6 and 7?

Thanks in advance and pardon my ignorance.

Thanks,
Dan

-7 will accept larger engine, carry more weight, and has longer wing span. If building the -7 would be a lot easier to build and a completed -7 may be straighter than the -6.

The longer wingspan will give a very small amount of more speed because of the lower drag of the higher aspect ratio wing.

Check specs for -6 here and -7 here.

Last edited:
Significant Differences of RV7

Three piece CNC machined wing spar - similar to RV8 - as opposed to two piece made from metal laminations and joined at the centerline

Taller rudder - similar to RV9 (although late 6s and early 7s have the intermediate RV8 rudder with counterballance)

Bigger wing tips contributing to longer wing

Different aileron bell crank details

Fuel tanks shear cleated at intervals along spar as opposed to just connected along top and bottom seams and at outboard rib and inboard nose bracket

Shallower seat ribs giving lower seat and more headroom

Instrument sub-panel is further forward leaving a bigger gap between it and the instrument panel allowing for easier access, especially on the tip-up.

Fully match drilled for easier assembly - but a well made -6 should be just as straight and square

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

The -7 seems to float just a bit more on landing, and seems to have "power steering" on rollout thanks to the bigger rudder. Other than that I noticed no difference in handling.

The problem with going to a bigger rudder is that it somewhat counteracts itself. Yes, It gives you more authority, but being bigger create more weathervaning effect, so it needs more authority.

In the end, the flight characteristics pretty much cancel each other and the end result just adds more work and more weight.

Yup. IMHO, having put many hours on a 6 and now 1000 on the 7 I liked the smaller vert and rudder on the 6 and it would handle as much crosswind as the 7 will without feeling as heavy. They are both great airplanes. I was just agreeing with Mel.

I could be wrong on this but my understanding for a bigger tail/rudder on a 7 was for the improved spin characteristics/control.

I could be wrong on this but my understanding for a bigger tail/rudder on a 7 was for the improved spin characteristics/control.

You are correct! The primary reason for the larger rudder is for improved spin recovery.
I will admit that spin recovery with my "classic" rudder is not optimum.
But, "spins-for-fun" are no longer in my everyday flight plan.

Back