What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim motor speed

Rayh

My trim is going from full up to full down in 15 seconds. I turned the potentiometer screw clockwise several times and the speed does not change.
Also, it is common for the trim to stop while going up or down only to let go of the switch to resume travel?

If speed didn't change then you probably haven't moved the pot.
If I remember correctly, on the D-180 switch panel the pot is only about 1 turn from minimum to max, so it is not possible to turn it a number of turns.

I am not sure what you mean in your second question.

I thought I read that the skyview has a 25 turn pot. With looking real close I believe the screw is turning.

On the second part of my question. I hold the trim switch for the direction I want. It stops about a third way through, then I release switch and push again and it resumes travel.

That sounds like you have an electronic trim controller in the plane which is timing out when you hold it for more than 5 seconds. Are you using Dynon's AP control panel? If so, you slow down the servo in SkyView's setup, not on the 5000 board.

I thought I read that the skyview has a 25 turn pot. With looking real close I believe the screw is turning.

On the second part of my question. I hold the trim switch for the direction I want. It stops about a third way through, then I release switch and push again and it resumes travel.

My mistake Ray, I confused you with someone else that is working through some issues and has the older D-180 system.

You are correct that the Skyview control module has a 25 turn pot for trim speed. It is delivered set at the fastest speed possible.

Turning just 1-2 turns probably wont change the speed enough for you to notice. You will have to go ~ 8-10 turns clock wise to get close to the proper speed.

If you do not have the AP panel, there is no reason that the trim should stop half way. It should run stop to stop if you hold the switch the entire time.

I do have the Dynon AP control panel so I will try to adjust the servo speed through the skyView.
No problem Scott.

Ray,
As a note, with the Dynon AP control panel, you can set the trim speed vs airspeed, so when you test on the ground you'll only see the lower speed, which is when you want it fast. Depending on why you're trying to adjust it, you may only want to adjust the speed while in higher speed flight.

While in the trim servo setup it showed setting for at or below 50kts and one for at or above 120kts. In the RV12 PAP it shows a trim motor run time between 25-30 seconds.
I adjusted the trim speed for at or below 50kts to 25 seconds from full up to full down and vice versa.
Apparently there is a electronic trim controller, every 5 seconds of running the trim motor cuts out.

Because the RV-12 pitch control system is different from all the other RV's (has a Stabilator horizontal stabilizer) the pitch trim system should be set up so that it has constant rate through all of the speed range.

A little bit of follow-up info for anyone that ends up here in the future.....

I don't have a lot of direct experience with the AP control panel, so gave a bit of incorrect info. This post is to correct/re-confirm info in this post and add some additional info......

An RV-12 with the AP control panel does not use the AV-50000 for pitch trim speed control, so the trim pot on the box will not cause any speed change.

The pitch trim is automatically set up to variable rate (adjusted based on IAS) if the presets file is downloaded from the Van's Aircraft web site and installed into Skyview. KAI Section 58 (currently page 58-06) instructs builders to go to the web site and download the file. The zip file contains a read-me file that gives further details regarding the firmware installation into Skyview.

The RV-12 flight training supplement explains that with an AP control panel installed, the trim speed is controlled by the autopilot system and that if the AP is off-line, pitch trim will still be functional but it will revert to the 0 IAS value rate at all times (quite sensitive at cruise speed).

Last edited:
And too add:

1) The trim controller has a 5 second timeout. This prevents trim run-away if a switch were to fail and stick.

2) If the SkyView system fails in flight, the trim speed will default to the 0 IAS condition, not "full speed". The only time it would be full speed is if SkyView never booted and the module didn't get configured with the settings in SkyView.

And too add:

1) The trim controller has a 5 second timeout. This prevents trim run-away if a switch were to fail and stick.

2) If the SkyView system fails in flight, the trim speed will default to the 0 IAS condition, not "full speed". The only time it would be full speed is if SkyView never booted and the module didn't get configured with the settings in SkyView.

Thanks
I edited my post

5 second timeout on the Trim Motor

Please add mention of the 5-second timeout to the PAP discussion where we are told to "Run it 'till it stops" and then measure the trailing edges of the Stabilator vs. the AST. I spent a LOT of time searching this site, checking the linkage, checking the wires, and re-doing the procedure until a friend noted that it would run some more if you press the switch again.

This thread is the first time I've seen the 5-second timeout mentioned.
Great feature, but would be nice to know during the build and PAP.

If I'm wrong and it is described somewhere that I missed...please send a Crow, I'll eat it and post the video. Wouldn't be the first time <grin> Could I at least have some Peppa Sauce?

Back