What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Does anyone wear photo grey sunglasses for flying?

Paul Tuttle

Well Known Member
I was thinking about getting some prescription sunglasses and wondered if photo grey lenses would work. I understand the lenses won't darken when worn in a car because of the uv protection in auto glass. I like the idea because I wouldn't have to carry two pairs of glasses everywhere.

Does anyone wear these in their RV and are you happy with them?

Thanks

I've had photogray glasses on and off over the years - I never found ones that got dark enough for a bubble-canopy airplane on a sunny day, and currently use regular non-tinted glasses and sunglasses when I need them.

The extra cost of Photograys got to be too much for the limited benefit - for me.

Glasses

I don't have experience with flying and photosensitive glasses but do wear bifocal prescription sunglasses and love them. I got so mad at the cost (no vision insurance) of both standard and sunglasses, I decided to try the internet. I got my last pair of standard eyeglasses from this place.
http://www.zennioptical.com/
It's tricky ordering. You need to take lots of measurements of your existing frames to get a similar size.
They were really inexpensive ($60) compared to the optical places including light weight lenses and anti glare coating. I plan to try them when my sunglasses need replacement.

A lot depends on what you have on your panel. I had some relatively dark bronze Sheyden lenses on my flip up El Capitans. They were way too dark and I had trouble seeing the D180 and Ipad.

I had my local optics tech make some light gray tint lenses that are virtually clear on the bottom. They work for me and block most of the UV. Only about 40 bucks...

I would think the photo grey lenses would get too dark and they never worked fast enough for me.

Don

My insurance covered me for new frames this year and since my perscription didn't change, I opted for a pair with photo sensitive gray lenses. I've flown a couple times with them and they worked well in my RV-10.

The only problem I've experience is when I was getting my pitot/static certified, I had to take the baggage area bulkhead out. It was a little dark for a few moments until the lenses reacted to the lack of lighting in the baggage compartment.

I didn't have any issues reading any of the screens on my panel.

bob

I second my Colorado friend wirejock's recommendation using Zenni Optical. I have probably ordered 10 pair of glasses from them and been satisfied with quality and price.

This is for the old **rts (like me) in the group. I am wearing progressive bifocals. Decided to get a pair of sunglasses for the plane at the same time as updating my regular glasses.

While talking to the clerk about tinting I noticed some lenses were gradient tinted. She said I could get anything I wanted for the same single tint price. I got full dark on the top 2/3 of the lens and one notch lighter on the bottom 1/3 of the lens for looking at the panel. I LOVE THEM.

I have found that some RVs they don't darken in. The one I am flying now doesn't allow uv in and my friends glasses don't darken, the previous RV they darkened and I could get sun burned in.

Transition Lenses

I have been using Photogray Transition lenses for years for my Tri-Focal prescription glasses. Put them on in the morning, take them off at night. Inside, outside, flying, driving, on the computer, reading the paper or magazines...they are on all the time. They change darkness quickly enough so I never need to wait for them. Would not be without them.

Yes

I have both photo-sensitive grays and a pair of Maui Jim's in transition bifocals. I find the greys a better all around lens for inside the cockpit, glass screen, iPad and sunlight. The slow reaction time when going from bright to dark is noticeable, but not an issue for flying. Bar hopping in the middle of the day is dangerous though. IMHO.
I could not tell you what degree of tint these are but seem to go fairly dark from full clear.

2airotz.jpg

Cheers!

My far vision is still 20/20, but I need correction (bifocals) for up close. For several years I've been using bifocal sunglasses that I buy online. I got a prescription last year, but they are really just zero-line bifocals (not sunglasses). They cost me over 400 bucks, and I have vision insurance coverage. My online sunglasses cost about 10 bucks a pair. They are actually safety glasses and supposedly block 100% of UVA/UVB. I usually order 5 pairs at a time and I prefer the wrap around styles because they block out the sun so well. I have a vision limitation on my medical that requires me to have glasses with me while flying, although I don't actually have to wear them, but these glasses fill that requirement. I wear mine all the time and they are quite comfortable. I get them at safetyglassesusa.com.

I have transitions (photo-grey) lenses in my everyday glasses, and fly with them regularly. I buy prescription sunglasses for cycling (wraparound lenses for wind deflection) from Zenni Optical as well... $50 a pair delivered to my door, can't be beat.

The transitions I buy from clearlycontacts.ca, a Canadian supplier so possibly not as interesting to you. A little more money but the frame selection is a bit more modern. Tastes vary, so I recommend people look at Zenni first.

I tried photograys some years ago and the lack of UV in the bizjet cockpits I was flying, was a problem.

Then, when I needed progressive bifocals as the years piled up, I bought the Scheyden flip-ups and have never looked back. I flew professionally with them for many years and still use them. Scheyden has first class customer support and service. About a year ago, my nearly ten year old flip-ups broke the frame when I dropped them. Scheyden overhauled them to "like new" for no charge! Hard to beat that kind of service.

I have been buying my regular progressive lens glasses and non-flying sunglasses (boating, bicycling, etc) from Zennioptical for a few years after first hearing about them on this forum. Never been disappointed.

Photo-gray Transion Progressive and Trifocal

Been wearing Photo-gray Transition lens for as long as I have been flying. (32-years). Been using Photo-gray Transition Progressive lens at least 13-years. I also have a pair of Photo-gray Tri-Focal glasses that are used just for flying. Back when the Tri-Focals were Bi-Focals, they were first Sunglasses. I found the Sunglasses too dark for almost everything. Had the lens changed to Bifocal Photo-gray and I loved them for flying. The Bifocal and Tri-focal both have better peripheral vision than the progressive lens.

My experience..

I have the photo-grey progressive. They work fine, except as someone else mentioned, they don't get dark enough in the RV-4 cockpit on a very sunny day. For those days I have a bi-focal sunglass that I got from Walmart for about $15. They work great once I got them adjusted on my nose so that the line is at the top of the instrument panel.

For many years I have flown with a pair of cheap readers on my nose, over my sunglasses, not a cool look, or with magnifier stickons on my sunglasses. This worked ok but the optics were not good. I tried a couple of cheap sunglasses with magnifiers built in but what worked in the store did not necessarily work in the airplane. Last year I got prescription sunglasses for the airplane. The top part of the glasses are grey in colour and works perfectly in all types of light. The bottom 1/3 of the lens is clear and set at a magnification of 2.5, which is what I need to read maps and panel information. The "line" in the glasses naturally falls on the glare shield. I would recommend sitting in your cockpit and putting a line on your glasses where the glare shield is. Take these to your eyeglass supplier and get a pair made up with the clear bifocals below the line and your favourite sunglasses tint above.

It has occurred to me that EFFIS programmers should all be over 50 years of age, this would solve the small font used in data displays!

Photo gray sunglasses for flying

I use dark, brown,safety transition glasses and love them. The brown brings out contrast. It take some time getting use to when walking in the sun and stepping inside a building. Takes 20--30 seconds to lighten up to be able to see.
Good luck
G.P.

DualEyewear

Just got a pair of reader sunglasses after seeing an advertisement in one of the aviation magazines (Sport Aviation.... I think). Dual Eyewear. They didn't have the model in the advertisement at the local bicycle shop but I found a different model for the Harley. They work great and I'm anxious to try the AV-1 model made for aviators. Relatively inexpensive reader options. No affiliation, just an effort to help other older RV pilots like myself. :)

https://www.dualeyewear.com/index.php/dual-av1.html

What type of sunglasses do you use for glass panels. I recall reading somewhere you needed non-polarized, but don't know for sure.

Thanks,

Bob

Yes

Hey Paul,

Definitely give them a try. I am wearing Progressive Photogray's from Costco. Got tired of lugging around a pair of prescription sunglasses, readers etc....

The progressive's are great for my job flying the medical helicopter. I was a point where standard lenses didn't work well in the instrument and switch panels. Especially the Bell 407 with overhead switches and breakers. Getting old I guess. We also use NVG's so I can tweak the goggles to get perfect vision:).

For the RV they are also great. I requested and got some that go quite dark. The AZ sun is bright. As was noted, the only drawback to me is that they don't lighten up real quickly when you go inside. 3-5 minutes or so.

Progressives take a little getting used to but after a few days, you don't even notice!!

Back