What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who can fly a brand new RV?

emuyshondt

Well Known Member
I am trying to find out what the legalities are for flying a newly completed RV-6A. This is before the initial flight testing the plane.

I helped a friend with some of the building, though he did 99% of the work. He just today flew the plane for the first time. However, he has now moved across the country, but does not want to disassemble the plane and wants to fly off the required flight time where I live. Is there any way for another pilot to help him with the initial flying time? Can any certified pilot fly the plane as long as there are no passengers aboard?

Is there a pointer to an article that goes over the details of the initial flight testing of the plane, including who can fly the plane during this time, and what tests need to be conducted? I'd also like to get more details on the differences between having a 25 hour and a 40 hour testing requirement.

UPDATE: I found a clear explanation in FAA Advisory Circular AC 90-89A

Last edited:
I know of many instances to where people other than the original builder have flown off test hours.

Anyone otherwise qualified to fly the aircraft may do so during phase I testing.

There are no "additional" pilot requirements for flight testing.

Way to go Alex!!

Congrats to Alex and his first flight yesterday. We got him up in the air around noon and he flew for about an hour. All went well, a nice flying bird and it really sounds great from the ground flying over. :) I still remember the day we drove the kit back to Texas from Washington State. As to pilots for new RV's, anyone really that meets the insurance overall requirements and time in type requirement.

Back