What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Heart of Texas Airshow in Waco

Sorry, no. Going to try to make Under the Wire, just northeast of Port A in Louise! Stop by.

I'm hesitant to fly to an "airshow" when there are no fly in directions for pilots. Paying admission at the "gate" when you fly in seems wrong (not sure how this one is but I have encounted this).

Sadly, one of my key people called in sick today, so I'm not going anywhere.

Someone post a PIREP, please? I was really looking forward to seeing Falcon Flight perform.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hesitant to fly to an "airshow" when there are no fly in directions for pilots. Paying admission at the "gate" when you fly in seems wrong (not sure how this one is but I have encounted this).

Me, too! Doesn't that just gripe your cookies?

We used to fly into the Janesville, WI airshow, and they would always park us three miles away AND charge us admission. lol

But that's still better than the upcoming Houston airshow, which has banned fly-in attendees! I sent the organizers an email, and they claim the ban is due to on-field construction. Seems pretty far-fetched, given the tiny footprint of a GA airplane.

To me, that's like having a car show, and banning automobiles.

Me, too! Doesn't that just gripe your cookies?

We used to fly into the Janesville, WI airshow, and they would always park us three miles away AND charge us admission. lol

But that's still better than the upcoming Houston airshow, which has banned fly-in attendees! I sent the organizers an email, and they claim the ban is due to on-field construction. Seems pretty far-fetched, given the tiny footprint of a GA airplane.

To me, that's like having a car show, and banning automobiles.
And you should see how Wings over Houston treats the on-field tenants air show week... cha ching!

Heart of Texas Airshow

Well, Falcon Flight did fly up to TSTC Airport on Friday, 27 Sep to participate in the Heart of Texas Airshow practice, then they fed us at the Performers and Sponsors Party catered by Outback (good). Next day we had about a 1300 scattered to broken layer, but we managed to conduct our Dawn Patrol and position our 8 RVs in the Showplanes area and attend the Pilots Brief at 1130. THEN the weather started moving in. We had about an hour and a half wx delay, then Falcon Flight started up as suggested by Airboss, only to be informed by Airboss another round of rain was quickly moving in and to shut down.......so quickly that after we we shut down and we had to sit in the planes about half an hour while it really came down and flooded the ramp. Instant sauna and fogged over canopies but no heavy winds or hail. Finally it started clearing and Airboss asked us to start back up and we got the show under way about two hours late, but he asked us for the short version because he did not have a TFR extension. THEN we had to pick our way through the storms heading home. With all the rain, it was a pretty small crowd.

Last edited:
Ugh, sorry to hear about the weather. As usual, even though there was rain predicted, and all around us, we didn't get a drop here in Port A.

Thanks for doing what you guys do. Where's your next show appearance?

Ugh, sorry to hear about the weather. As usual, even though there was rain predicted, and all around us, we didn't get a drop here in Port A.

Thanks for doing what you guys do. Where's your next show appearance?

We had 4 inches here in Round Rock.

Falcon Flight will be participating with KC Flight and others in a Large Formation Breast Cancer Awareness Flyover of Arrowhead Stadium in KC on 13 October. Should be televised, though perhaps not locally.

We will also be performing at Georgetown KGTU on 2 Nov for the Georgetown Airfest, followed by a Missing Man at LaGrange for the KC-135 crew that went down in Afghanistan, who will be later interred at Arlington National.

Then we will be doing a Veterans Day Flyover at Hutto for the schools system on 8 Nov.

Last edited:
Back