What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Hand operated fuel transfer pump?

Kooshball

Well Known Member
I’m looking for an inexpensive hand operated fuel pump that can do mogas and 100LL. I’m looking to use it to pull fuel out (and in) of my RV4 and to help fuel a high wing with mogas. Tons of options on amazon and harbor freight but I’m not really sure which ones would be preferred for my intended use.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thx

3/4 inch siphon

Use a 3/4 inch siphon hose with the shaker check valve to start it. Will empty a five gallon container faster than you can pour it. No mess. I take a rag and sit the container on the wing to get it started. Once it's almost empty, hold it up and keep the siphon at the bottom corner. Even easier removing fuel from the plane.

Just be careful with grounding. I have a good friend that spent weeks in the hospital with severe burns when static ignited the fumes while he was transferring fuel to his plane. He eventually healed but the heap of ashes that was his plane didn't.

Manual pump

Draining tanks: as per above suggestions, using a jiggler siphon hose. They are about $10-$15 and should have a non static hose.

I use a rotary drum pump for filling, it is mounted on a wheeled cart and draws from a metal jerry can. Everything can be grounded via a cable and clamp to the plane exhaust. I fill the metal jerry can using 5 gal jugs. The brand of rotary drum pump is Alemlube 501A, about $200AUD, it is suitable for gasoline; some drum pumps are good for diesel and oil only. I use it for high wing mogas and it is easier and safer than climbing up a ladder with a heavy container!

Attachments

• 20200819_091242.jpg
    20200819_091242.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 461
Just be careful with grounding. I have a good friend that spent weeks in the hospital with severe burns when static ignited the fumes while he was transferring fuel to his plane. He eventually healed but the heap of ashes that was his plane didn't.

Transferring fuel always gives me the creeps for this very reason. I view it like I view similar risks....the likelihood of something happening is pretty low but the _consequences_ if something goes wrong are really high. Although without the personal risks that come with transferring fuel, jacking an airplane falls into the same category for me. When doing either, I can't relax until the job is finished.

Draining tanks: as per above suggestions, using a jiggler siphon hose. They are about $10-$15 and should have a non static hose.

I use a rotary drum pump for filling, it is mounted on a wheeled cart and draws from a metal jerry can. Everything can be grounded via a cable and clamp to the plane exhaust. I fill the metal jerry can using 5 gal jugs. The brand of rotary drum pump is Alemlube 501A, about $200AUD, it is suitable for gasoline; some drum pumps are good for diesel and oil only. I use it for high wing mogas and it is easier and safer than climbing up a ladder with a heavy container!

Paul
How did you adapt the bung adaptor to go in and seal it in the jerry can?
John

Rubber washer

Paul
How did you adapt the bung adaptor to go in and seal it in the jerry can?
John

John,

The 2 inch bung adapter is sitting on top of a rubber washer and is clamped to the suction tube to hold down the washer, this makes a seal that is tight enough to keep out any dust. It is not "pressure test" leak proof, and fuel would probably leak out if the jerry can was filled to the top and then tilted over, however I don't normally do that.

There is a 33mm hole in the high part of the jerry can for the suction tube and the tube itself is 32mm. It would be easy enough to seal with RTV if need be. I had initially considered finding a 2 inch threaded flange to fit to the jerry can, but this setup is simpler and works quite OK.

Paul.

Attachments

• 15979037876567661193517900038173.jpg
    15979037876567661193517900038173.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 411
  • 15979040412708875707686143864614.jpg
    15979040412708875707686143864614.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 361
Jerry Cans

I use Jerry Cans to fill my tractor (Diesel), and one thing that I always do is filter the fuel with a fine mess funnel and you would be surprised the amount of debris it picks up from the can.

just my tuppence worth

Rob

I’m looking for an inexpensive hand operated fuel pump that can do mogas and 100LL. I’m looking to use it to pull fuel out (and in) of my RV4 and to help fuel a high wing with mogas. Tons of options on amazon and harbor freight but I’m not really sure which ones would be preferred for my intended use.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thx

I've used one like this for years for my boat and plane. Works perfectly.
https://www.amazon.com/TERA-PUMP-Po...words=fuel+pump+battery&qid=1597964452&sr=8-3

Attachments

• Pump.JPG
    Pump.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Back